PDA

View Full Version : Cougar High Country 299RKS cooling

Wayne
09-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Does anyone have any experience with cooling this camper or a similar size with the 13.5 AC. I wanted the 15 but it seems all the dealers only have the 13.5 in stock.
Thanks

Tikitim
09-15-2011, 08:05 PM
I ordered our 299RKS with a 15000 BTU AC, and it works great. It is well worth the extra $200.00. I would not have a 5th wheel with only a 13500 BTU unit. The unit cycles the way it is supposed to, and doesn't run all the time. These dealers should order all 5th wheels with 15000 BTU units and stop cheaping out. You might want to ask dealer to trade up to a 15000 if it is not too much $. It is an easy upgrade. Don't forget to exchange your black cover for the white one, as all trim on trailer is black.

smiller
09-16-2011, 06:06 AM
15k BTU is about 11% more than 13.5k, probably worth having but you have to keep it in perspective, it's hardly night-and-day. As many have discovered if you want to reliably cool under harsh conditions (parked in the sun, temps of high 90's plus) you're going to need a second A/C unit because in that case even 15k will not be enough. This is true of just about any large RV regardless of manufacture.

If you will encounter harsh conditions rarely then one unit will probably do fine, but if you frequent the southern US in the summer and want to be cool (or not have the unit take 3 hours to cool down after you stop) you'll eventually be adding a second unit. If that is the case you may be better off putting the money into a second unit than upgrading the main unit by 11% (although if you don't have the unit yet and it's really only a $200 difference then I'd go for that too.)

Charli
09-17-2011, 03:01 PM
We have the Cougar Xlite 26SAB which is smaller however the 13.5k unit cooled our unit down quite efficiently and we spent about 10 days in the Black Hills this summer with days temps in the low-mid 90's. We were in campgrounds with some shade so I'm sure that helped. We did notice that the Fan/AC unit was quite noise, certanly noisier than our previous Springdale trailer.