PDA

View Full Version : Electrical System Question

kingji
09-15-2011, 04:42 PM
On my 2011 Springdale 279 fifth wheel, If I tie in a inverter to run the entertainment center outlet and utilize a transfer switch near the outlet or where ever it's supposed to go will my inverter be trying to power all the outlets in the RV or just the outlets on that circuit back to the breaker box. I'm thinking just that circuit but not 100% sure. I know if you open the beaker it only kills whats on that leg. I'm not really wanting to power the entire rv off of the inverter. Would it be better just to run a seperate outlet dedicated to inverter power or are there some other options? I just ordered a Xantrex 600 pure sine inverter with remote switch and trying to get it all planned out ahead.
Thanks
Jimmy K.:o

hankpage
09-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Since your inverter is only 600 watt I would not bother with a transfer switch. I would install a dedicated outlet just for whatever electronics you plan to power with the inverter. JM2¢, Hank

kingji
09-15-2011, 06:45 PM
I was leaning that direction. Still courious about the circuit though...
JK

SteveC7010
09-15-2011, 07:18 PM
We have an inverter in our ambulance that provides power to just two outlets; one to recharge our high tech heart monitor/defibrillator, and the other is available if needed to run other 110vac appliances. In practice, just the monitor/defib unit is used on the inverter. The inverter is pretty much separate from all the other wiring in the rig which is all standard 12vdc stuff. It's not terribly different from an RV system in many respects. And there is no transfer switch.

As already recommended, while your choice of inverter is way to small to run all the outlets in the RV, it can provide adequate power to a single new outlet.

Be sure to use adequate size wire from the battery or distribution point to the inverter. The Power & Ground Cable chart on this page may be helpful:
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp