PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Weatherstrip

grvollha
08-06-2019, 05:55 PM
I have a 2012 Springdale 5th wheel and the rubber strip which covers the screws where the roof meets the walls has turned brittle, cracked, and now a couple of pieces have broken off. I bought a roll of replacement weather strip and am wondering if anyone has any tips for replacing it.

chuckster57
08-06-2019, 07:02 PM
Welcome to the forum!!

If your talking about screw cover, I have found a plastic scraper works great. Put one edge under the lip and then just guide the other side using the scraper. It’s easy to “stretch” it as you get it installed and it tends to shrink over time so make sure to “push it back” every so often.

Hblick48
08-06-2019, 08:40 PM
I found that a window screen installation roller tool works great to install the rubber strip.

KSH
08-07-2019, 06:53 AM
Put the roll in the sun to warm up and relax a bit. I just put in one side and used a screwdriver for the other side.

grvollha
08-14-2019, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the tips!

JRTJH
08-14-2019, 01:25 PM
Put the roll in the sun to warm up and relax a bit. I just put in one side and used a screwdriver for the other side.

If you're doing it "and there ain't no sun" then boil a pot of water, drop the roll in the pot for a few minutes, same as sitting it in the sun for an hour or so. Just be sure to use some tongs to "retrieve the roll from the pot".....