PDA

View Full Version : slide will not open

MDGOODINE
08-06-2019, 04:26 PM
i have a 2011 312bh TT with electric slides. The slides always worked fine. I just returned from a trip and the Bunk House slide will not open. The Living room slide works great. There is power to the motor... i push to open and i hear a ratcheting motion from the motor. I push the button to close and it makes a lower frequescy ratcheting noise that is normal to when the slide has completely closed... same noise as the living room slide when it is completely closed.
I can not see anything blocking the slide from opening.

Any thoughts to what is preventing the slide from opening?

rjsurfer
08-07-2019, 02:40 AM
I had my new Cougar living room slide stop after only moving out what appeared to be an inch or so. After cycling it in and out a few times it jerked open worked ok after that.

I'm thinking the rubber seals somehow stuck together, something like that happened to my car electric windows once.

Some 303 spray on the seals and bottom liner material and all is well.

Ron W.

JRTJH
08-07-2019, 04:11 AM
There is a "brass bell" located on one of the two rams that control the slide movement. On that "brass bell" you'll find two nuts. Loosen the nuts, unscrew the "brass bell" one turn and retighten the nuts.

I'd suspect that the slide "moved in too far" jamming the brass bell (which controls where the slide stops during the retraction. It may have been a bump in the road or the slide may have jammed for some other reason.

Anyway, I think that if you loosen those nuts, turn the "brass bell" out one turn (don't think more is better) that you'll solve your problem.

MDGOODINE
08-07-2019, 08:55 AM
John, your suggestion worked. I had to put my adjustable on the square tube running between the rams and give it a little twist... i could hear something move into place towards the motor. The slide opened and allowed me to easily adjust the Bell one turn.

Thanks for the advice!!!... saved me grief and tying up the trailer at the RV dealer.

Mike

JRTJH
08-07-2019, 10:50 AM
Mike,

I'm glad that you're back to operational slides WITHOUT having to let your trailer sit at the dealership for weeks/months while they "schedule work"...

Sometimes it's an easy fix, sometimes not. This time, easy !!!!!