PDA

View Full Version : Erie Canal System

FlyingAroundRV
08-06-2019, 05:50 AM
Hi All:
We want to see some of the Erie Canal system while we're in NY. Starting off in Buffalo.

What are some reccomendations for things to see and do on the canal?
Are there better places to see the canal? We don't have time to explore much of it, but we're prepared to travel to see the good stuff.

I know the canal system is extensive and this is a pretty broad question. Trip advisor didn't help all that much, I don't know what I don't know!
TIA

Northofu1
08-06-2019, 07:01 AM
The North Tonawanda section is quite nice, as is Chittenango, and Little Falls kept the old warehouses and turned them into shopping, etc.
L Frank Baum ( The wonderful Wizard of Oz, author) was born in Chittenango.
I stumbled upon North Tonawanda and was pleasantly surprised at what a nice little town it is.

CaptnJohn
08-06-2019, 07:34 AM
Many years ago I did it in my boat. If still possible I highly suggest it.

spade117
08-06-2019, 08:05 AM
Check here:

http://www.eriecanal.org/index.html

As you said, a fairly broad question, but I would suggest at least checking out some of the locks. There are multiple towns along the canal (mine being one), and quite a few have festivals and such (many called "canal days"), but most may have already happened for the year. There are also quite a few campgrounds along the canal (especially in the Niagara and Finger Lakes regions).

There are also quite a few lift bridges and one lane bridges that cross the canal and may not have clearance for a trailer, so make sure to keep that in mind.

CaptnJohn
08-06-2019, 08:22 AM
Check here:

http://www.eriecanal.org/index.html

As you said, a fairly broad question, but I would suggest at least checking out some of the locks. There are multiple towns along the canal (mine being one), and quite a few have festivals and such (many called "canal days"), but most may have already happened for the year. There are also quite a few campgrounds along the canal (especially in the Niagara and Finger Lakes regions).

There are also quite a few lift bridges and one lane bridges that cross the canal and may not have clearance for a trailer, so make sure to keep that in mind.

I figured a 5th wheel would have problems on bridges and that is the reason I took the boat instead. Enough docks to be comfortable on the trip. Took our bikes and never needed any other transportation to see the sites and find restaurants.

linux3
08-06-2019, 09:11 AM
Lock 32 in Pittsford NY is IMHO one of the more interesting locks.
The Lock Master is always happy to talk about and demo the lock system.
If the high water side gates are closed you can cross the canal on them and go in the old DC power house that use to power the locks.
Next lock down stream is Lock 34, for some strange reason there is no Lock 33. About 1.5 miles.

A little further down is the Town of Pittsford and the Lock 32 Brew Pub. Good IPA.

bearmirus
08-07-2019, 03:02 PM
You should check out the Fairport Lift Bridge. It is right in the heart of Fairport village with a couple of really good restaurants or a cup of coffee. It is one of the National Register of Historic Places as well as supposedly in Ripley's Believe it or Not. Great bike trail along this part of Erie Canal.

rjniles
08-07-2019, 03:20 PM
About 12 years ago my wife and I rented a canal boat for a week in Palmyra and went west to Tonawanda and back. I think this Western section is the most interesting as it follows the original route of the 1812 canal dug canal sections. The Eastern section is canalized river. Tied up each nite in a town that the canal runs right through. Lockport is interesting as the 5 old locks still exist next to the 2 modern locks that carry the canal over the Niagra escarpment. Lots of history in those old towns.

notanlines
08-08-2019, 01:43 AM
While visiting in Ontario this summer we visited the Peterborough lift lock and I am still truly amazed at this structure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterborough_Lift_Lock
The Kirkfield lock is about the same, but not quite as high, and is also in the area should your travels take you in this area.

FlyingAroundRV
08-08-2019, 03:14 AM
Many thanks to all who contributed. Now we have some great tips directly from peoples' experiences.