PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat options

khamrac72
08-04-2019, 10:36 AM
Has anyone changed out the thermostat to something more user friendly? Every time I try and adjust the temp I end up going from AC to heat or turn the thing off. Same thing when the grandkids walk by it and swear they didn't get close to it lol. driving me and the DW nuts......

chuckster57
08-04-2019, 10:51 AM
I happen to like that one more than the other “touch” thermostat. It just takes a little practice to understand the buttons. Trust me you’ll change your mind.

CaptnJohn
08-04-2019, 11:44 AM
I happen to like that one more than the other “touch” thermostat. It just takes a little practice to understand the buttons. Trust me you’ll change your mind.

I agree best in I’ve ever had since 1976.

sourdough
08-04-2019, 12:25 PM
I have to agree with the previous 2 posts - replaced the OEM in mine with this because it was the "updated" version of what I've had and we've had no issues.

Steveo57
08-04-2019, 01:45 PM
Has anyone changed out the thermostat to something more user friendly? Every time I try and adjust the temp I end up going from AC to heat or turn the thing off. Same thing when the grandkids walk by it and swear they didn't get close to it lol. driving me and the DW nuts......

Unfortunately there's not many options. You can try pulling the faceplate off and pull the little foam pieces under the "buttons" out a little to fluff them up. I emailed Dometic about this problem because I heard they had redesigned the faceplate because of this issue. They sent me a brand-new thermostat but it looks the same to me. I don't have any issues like yours.

sourdough
08-04-2019, 02:34 PM
I would add to my previous post;

Steve is right, the choices may be limited. When my OEM started acting up I talked to the RV dealer across the street from the campground I was in and this is the thermostat he recommended. I wanted something more so I called Dometic and was told the same thing - this IS the upgraded model for the single zone heat/cool. So bought one for $43 from that dealer (see they're less than $30 online), put it in and haven't had an issue since. It says it has "capacitive sensor" vs actual buttons.....maybe they're too "sensitive"?? :D

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/Upgraded-Dometic-Single-Zone-RV-AC-Thermostat-Black_p_29880.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6Pj686Lq4wIVD p6fCh0IPgnqEAQYAiABEgJsPfD_BwE

NH_Bulldog
08-04-2019, 04:08 PM
The thermostat is capacitive touch; like a smartphone or tablet screen. No amount of pressing harder or softer makes any difference, and no, you can’t put padding under the face plate. It is so sensitive that just brushing up against it passing by will turn it on, off, heat, cool, auto, high, low, etc. Mine is right by the exterior door and also one of the doors to the bedroom so it gets inadvertently touched all the time. On more recent build dates of my same model trailer, the thermostat is in a different location, more out of the way and centrally located. For my situation, I was thinking of a simple battery operated Honeywell heat/cool thermostat like I have in my house.

ROBNPEN
08-04-2019, 04:23 PM
My wife and I had the same issues with the thermostat that came with our RV. We contacted Dometic and they sent a replacement, no charge. It appears that there was a manufacturing defect with the face plates buttons being slightly out of spec.

khamrac72
08-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Thanks all for the responses. I will contact Dometic and see where that goes.

Steveo57
08-04-2019, 04:50 PM
The thermostat is capacitive touch; like a smartphone or tablet screen. No amount of pressing harder or softer makes any difference, and no, you can’t put padding under the face plate. It is so sensitive that just brushing up against it passing by will turn it on, off, heat, cool, auto, high, low, etc. Mine is right by the exterior door and also one of the doors to the bedroom so it gets inadvertently touched all the time. On more recent build dates of my same model trailer, the thermostat is in a different location, more out of the way and centrally located. For my situation, I was thinking of a simple battery operated Honeywell heat/cool thermostat like I have in my house.

Yep it's very sensitive and takes some getting used to. Unfortunately you can't just replace it with any old thermostat as it talks to the control board using a digital signal, only three wires in this setup.

This guy came up with a novel way to get around this problem though.

http://www.klenger.net/hvac.html