PDA

View Full Version : I 81 is a mess

linux3
08-03-2019, 03:25 PM
Just arrived in Knoxville TN from Henrietta NY.
Took I 81 South from PA to TN and it's a trial.
In WV they are adding a lane in a piecemeal way. Some sections are 2 lanes and some are 3 plus construction. Think about it.
I 81 through VA will be adding a lane too. They are working on the bridges so far.
3, count them, 3 places bridges were down to one lane. One place South of Roanoke took about 30 minutes to go 3 miles.
What a mess.

rhagfo
08-04-2019, 01:39 PM
It is summer construction season! Just think how nice it will be when they are done.

66joej
08-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Yes we know construction. Election coming here in Canada. I think they are paving everything that looks like a road.:D

major bumm
08-05-2019, 06:55 AM
Have you thought about Rt 15 through NY into PA? It is quiet and beautiful. Plot out gas stations, though I didn't have a problem the last time I took it.

Cbrez
08-05-2019, 01:06 PM
We avoid I-81 like the plague. Although construction may have made the route even worse than usual, the volume of tractor trailer rigs makes it a white knuckle drive pretty much anytime day or night. It’s a shame because I-81 cuts through some very picturesque country in western Virginia, but you best not take take your eyes off the road.

Old Mustanger
08-05-2019, 07:38 PM
Seems like everyone wants the highways fixed, but not on the day they need to use it. :rolleyes:

Cbrez
08-07-2019, 08:09 PM
Seems like everyone wants the highways fixed, but not on the day they need to use it. :rolleyes:

Although there is construction on I-81 it’s not really in bad shape, at least not through Virginia. It’s just heavily traveled by tractor trailer rigs. If you hang out in the right lane doing 65 mph you will probably be ok if there is no accident, but it’s crap shoot.