PDA

View Full Version : Fridge light on & off opposite of how it should be

PSD Andy
07-31-2019, 06:31 PM
I'm wondering if anyone can help me troubleshoot the inside fridge light on our Sprinter. It's the 8 cu ft Dometic Fridge, 120V AC or propane.

If the fridge is turned off, but 12V battery installed the light works, when the fridge is turned on it will not work. Doesn't matter if the 2nd switch is set at "Auto" or "Gas".

My guess is the wiring is flipped opposite of how it should be, but when I look in the back exterior panel I'm not sure which wires get routed up to the light switch. I've tried searching for a service manual or wiring diagram but I can't find one that's for our particular unit.

I'm open to ideas. :confused:

chuckster57
07-31-2019, 07:24 PM
Model # would help. If you take the cover off the light, can you post a pic?

PSD Andy
08-01-2019, 02:28 AM
I forgot I was going to put the model # in my original post, it's R2852.

I will take a picture of the light when I get home from work tonight. I haven't put the slide lens cover back on yet.

JRTJH
08-01-2019, 06:53 AM
It sounds like the door switch lever assembly is either "stuck" or "broken". The wires haven't changed position, so if the switch worked properly before, the only possibility is a mechanical change. That would mean, pull the switch/light assembly, inspect it and if it isn't "obviously broken or binding" then buy a replacement at any RV parts dealer for about $20 and install the replacement.

PSD Andy
08-01-2019, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the info. Looks like the mechanical part that trips the contact areas is damaged. I'll swing by a dealer tomorrow and get or order a new one.

LHaven
08-01-2019, 06:19 PM
Yeah, my first thought is that it was actually a temperature-related switch fault! I actually had such an issue with sticky fruit juice dripped down the switch by my youngest. When the fridge got cold, the light stuck on.