PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Hvac unit

Samuraijones
07-29-2019, 11:44 AM
Has anyone added a 3rd A/C unit to their 5th Wheel. Texas heat is killer during the summer. Just curious if anyone has done it with an Alpine 3801fk.

Badbart56
07-29-2019, 12:21 PM
I have three Coleman Mach III's on my Fusion 405 but I am told you can't run all three at the same time with my present configuration. There is a post somewhere on this site that tells how it can be done however. I believe it involves using the washer/dryer circuit IIRC. I'm not familiar with your model RV though but maybe someone like Chuckster can elaborate.

Samuraijones
07-29-2019, 02:30 PM
I have heard multiple ways of doing it. I was curious if anyone had dealt with it first hand. Especially if their unit wasn't prepped for it.

xrated
07-29-2019, 04:21 PM
Mine is not a Keystone trailer and I have three A/C units....two 15K BTU and one 13.5K BTU unit and I run all three at the same time with zero issues. I don't understand why it shouldn't be possible with any brand as long as the unit has a 50A RV service and you aren't trying to power everything else in the trailer.

Over the July 4th week, we camped for three day in Chattanooga where the temps were in the low to mid 90s for two days and 97 degrees the third day....with lot of humidity. I ran all three, plus the water heater on electric, plus the 18 cu. ft. frig, plus the converter was on when needed. Even used the microwave a couple of times...no issues.

Samuraijones
07-29-2019, 04:26 PM
Mine is not a Keystone trailer and I have three A/C units....two 15K BTU and one 13.5K BTU unit and I run all three at the same time with zero issues. I don't understand why it shouldn't be possible with any brand as long as the unit has a 50A RV service and you aren't trying to power everything else in the trailer.

Over the July 4th week, we camped for three day in Chattanooga where the temps were in the low to mid 90s for two days and 97 degrees the third day....with lot of humidity. I ran all three, plus the water heater on electric, plus the 18 cu. ft. frig, plus the converter was on when needed. Even used the microwave a couple of times...no issues.

Did you perform the work yourself.

CaptnJohn
07-29-2019, 07:16 PM
My Montana has an energy watch. Only 2 of 3 work at a time but they rotate to keep temps even.

xrated
07-30-2019, 02:29 AM
Did you perform the work yourself.

No, the trailer came from the factory with three A/C units......but the point I'm trying to make here is that a 50A Rv service, which is actually 100 Amps total, has more than enough capacity to run three A/C units at the same time....plus a lot of other equipment.

Northofu1
07-30-2019, 02:40 AM
You're in Texas at the wrong time of year :lol:
Sorry, I'm a smart ***. :D

Roscommon48
07-30-2019, 05:34 AM
Just curious, what the heck is an 'engery watch'? Never heard of that and never had that as an option on any of my Montanas.