PDA

View Full Version : Two-level table legs for beds?

LHaven
07-29-2019, 10:43 AM
Many of our trailers have dining tables that convert into youth beds. Generally, the structural integrity is "provided" by a strip of furring at the edge of each seat, and the trim around the edge of the table. This level of engineering resulted in a wee-hours collapse, the one and only time we ever tried to use it.

It seems to me that if the table legs were constructed in two sections instead of one, the bottom one being just the height needed to support the center of the span when it is in the lowered bed position, it would be much better engineering.

I can't be the first person ever to have considered this idea.* But a web search for aftermarket posts of this sort shows nothing like this, nor anything designed to serve the same purpose in a different way.

Are such posts available anywhere, or any other alternative mechanism to support a table in bed mode (other than lego blocks)?

*If I am, I've already patented it, honest! :whistling:

slow
07-29-2019, 11:17 AM
Many of our trailers have dining tables that convert into youth beds. Generally, the structural integrity is "provided" by a strip of furring at the edge of each seat, and the trim around the edge of the table. This level of engineering resulted in a wee-hours collapse, the one and only time we ever tried to use it.

It seems to me that if the table legs were constructed in two sections instead of one, the bottom one being just the height needed to support the center of the span when it is in the lowered bed position, it would be much better engineering.

I can't be the first person ever to have considered this idea.* But a web search for aftermarket posts of this sort shows nothing like this, nor anything designed to serve the same purpose in a different way.

Are such posts available anywhere, or any other alternative mechanism to support a table in bed mode (other than lego blocks)?

*If I am, I've already patented it, honest! :whistling:

I cut two lengths of ABS tubing to support the center of the table in the "bed" configuration. My table is supported normally with two legs.

BTW: A two piece table leg may be too wobbly.

Carrottop
07-29-2019, 01:05 PM
dido on the ABS tubing. Works great and if the size smaller than the table legs they store inside the larger poles when the table is up.

LHaven
07-29-2019, 02:26 PM
dido on the ABS tubing. Works great and if the size smaller than the table legs they store inside the larger poles when the table is up.

Ah "store inside" is the magic phrase. That sounds like the solution for me. Thanks!