PDA

View Full Version : After vacation, towing with SRW vs. DRW.

Sinton4616
07-28-2019, 06:09 AM
I know the topic has been beaten to death here, but wanted to give my thoughts on towing after our recent vacation.

We just completed our first "long" vacation towing the fifth wheel with the setup in my signature, 2,400 miles round trip. First time towing any considerable distance with the DRW F350. All I can say the difference is night and day.

I've towed similar fifth wheels, around 15K, using my old Ram 2500 and a SRW F350 I borrowed from my neighbor. There is no comparison. Truck handled beautifully, zero issues pulling hills in TN and I wasn't white knuckled at all. DW even made the comment that I was relaxed enough to tow one handed and drinking coffee, something she hadn't seen before.

Anyone sitting on the fence between a SRW and a DRW, get the DRW. You will NOT regret it. The PROs outweigh the CONs.

Parking: Even parking around Pigeon Forge wasn't too bad. I seemed to find a couple of spots I could take when needed.

Now off to start planning next spring/summer family reunion.

rhagfo
07-28-2019, 06:21 AM
Those that tow large with a SRW, and say no issues and very stable, just don’t know the difference.
They are so convinced that they are just too big to drive daily, they just keep getting smaller (feeling) every time you drive it.

Sinton4616
07-28-2019, 06:26 AM
DW and I lost count of the number of triple-axle FW being towed by a 3/4 ton or SRW 1 ton truck. Watched a 3/4 ton truck almost loose it in a curve, taking the other lane. Good thing there wasn't any traffic.

All I can say is I'm VERY happy with our setup. Once you cross over to the "dark side", there isn't any going back.

We planned our trip to dive around 5 hours a day, not knowing how we'd like the way the setup handled. If we wanted, we could easily pull 6-7 hours and still feel relaxed on arrival.

chuckster57
07-28-2019, 07:38 AM
Welcome to the DRW club, I think someone should develop a "badge' like the one we have for weight police, for us with the duallies :cool:

Ddubya
07-28-2019, 07:44 AM
I totally agree that a DRW is the way to go with a large trailer. If I went to a larger trailer I would have a DRW. That said, I have towed our 38ft fiver over 15k miles with no issues. Like someone else said I see large trailers,even triple axels being towed with SRW 3/4 ton trucks which is asking for trouble. I saw a large Mobile Suites yesterday hooked up to a SRW RAM 2500. There is a butt for every seat but I prefer not to fly by the seat of my pants.

Badbart56
07-28-2019, 10:26 AM
I've owned and driven a dually for the past 18 years. Rock solid tow vehicle! I won't go back to a SRW.

Laredo Tugger
07-28-2019, 12:06 PM
DW and I lost count of the number of triple-axle FW being towed by a 3/4 ton or SRW 1 ton truck. Watched a 3/4 ton truck almost loose it in a curve, taking the other lane. Good thing there wasn't any traffic.

All I can say is I'm VERY happy with our setup. Once you cross over to the "dark side", there isn't any going back.

We planned our trip to dive around 5 hours a day, not knowing how we'd like the way the setup handled. If we wanted, we could easily pull 6-7 hours and still feel relaxed on arrival.

I have seen the same combinations (SRW towing a six wheel FW,usually toy haulers) as well.
I always mumble to my self "6 wheels in back should have 6 wheels in front". I have a "light' trailer comparably and am happy with my SRW. But anything bigger I will go to DRW without question.
RMc

Cbrez
07-28-2019, 12:33 PM
I never really wanted a dually since the TV is my everyday truck, but finally bit the bullet because I couldn’t keep towing a 16k 5er with an overloaded SRW. Every time we hit a bad bump (which was frequently on the ALCAN) the pucker factor would go way up. No stress towing with the DRW now and have gotten used to driving it around town. DW is much more comfortable towing with the dually, so I definitely second your recommendation.

ronheater70
07-28-2019, 03:27 PM
I suppose my first question is, why in the world would you even begin to pull 15K 5vr with a 3/4 ton truck?
I am a srw 1 ton truck, IM guessing with the all I have loaded I'm around 12.5 Although I have yet to scale it, but I know the weight of my cargo from our previous trailer so it should be pretty accurate +/- a few hundred pounds. At any rate I feel about 13K is all I would ever want on a SRW.. Mine has towed wonderfully, straight and true.. worlds better than the traditional 10K 38 footer we towed with a WDH and antisway. My son has a 2017 f350 crew cab long bed 4x4. He has about 3K of welder, steel welding bed, tanks etc.. before even dropping the 2700 pounds of hitch weight on his truck. It tows extremely well !

xrated
07-28-2019, 04:18 PM
Welcome to the DRW club. I really didn't have an option as my new T.H. has a GVWR of 20,000 lbs, although I don't ever plan on (key word....plan on) having it loaded that heavy, but 18,500 - 19,000 is a very real possibility for sure. And you're right....night and day difference between the SRW and the Dually. Congrats. and enjoy

mtofell
08-02-2019, 03:41 PM
The first manufacturer to invent a detachable DRW outer wheel would Jeff Bezos rich :)

MattHelm21
08-02-2019, 05:08 PM
They are detachable now. There is just usually 8 lug nuts to each wheel(10 in my case) and you have to find some way to remove and reattach the fenders. :)

cenders
08-11-2019, 07:18 AM
My wife has our DRW 3500 GMC as her daily driver. So anyone who’s not using the right tow vehicle really has no excuses.

As for parking it at the grocery store, the trick is to back in. Makes parking super easy and saves the rear fenders from trouble.

We pull a dual axle 16.5k toy hauler and I would never pull it with a smaller truck.

msubobcats
08-11-2019, 07:41 AM
I have a good friend, old high school buddy, that pulls (and not sure of years) the front living room with garage for their Harleys Montana with a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel, maybe an "11" or a " 12" ...
He insists it is a dream to pull. Will not listen to "not enough truck"...

TYHLR
08-11-2019, 07:57 AM
I knew before I purchased my dually that we would be buying a large camper.

All that I can say is that I am glad that I bit the bullet and went with the dually. It is very comforting to know that just in case the better half wants a different/bigger camper I don't need to go buy another truck. And, the dually rides and drives like a dream when towing with no issues. I also use it as my daily driver. You discover pretty quick where you can and can't park. For me, I usually park far out and away from the front entrances of buildings. Besides, the extra walk certainly doesn't hurt me.

Like some others here, I am very surprised to see some very large campers on I-95 being towed by 3/4 ton trucks. When i see them, I attempt to get as far away from them as I can for I view the practice of pulling 40' campers with a 3/4 truck as unsafe.

pitman44
08-11-2019, 08:02 AM
I know the topic has been beaten to death here, but wanted to give my thoughts on towing after our recent vacation.

We just completed our first "long" vacation towing the fifth wheel with the setup in my signature, 2,400 miles round trip. First time towing any considerable distance with the DRW F350. All I can say the difference is night and day.

I've towed similar fifth wheels, around 15K, using my old Ram 2500 and a SRW F350 I borrowed from my neighbor. There is no comparison. Truck handled beautifully, zero issues pulling hills in TN and I wasn't white knuckled at all. DW even made the comment that I was relaxed enough to tow one handed and drinking coffee, something she hadn't seen before.

Anyone sitting on the fence between a SRW and a DRW, get the DRW. You will NOT regret it. The PROs outweigh the CONs.

Parking: Even parking around Pigeon Forge wasn't too bad. I seemed to find a couple of spots I could take when needed.

Now off to start planning next spring/summer family reunion.

You don't know how glad I am to read this. Just bought a 2016 GMC 3500HD diesel with 12,500 miles yesterday. Coming from a 2007 Dodge 2500HD gasser.

sonofcy
08-11-2019, 09:56 AM
They are detachable now. There is just usually 8 lug nuts to each wheel(10 in my case) and you have to find some way to remove and reattach the fenders. :)

One of the 'other' reasons for buying the 450 over the 350 is the much tighter turning radius. This is due to the wide track front axle, so removing the outer rears and even the fenders accomplishes nothing since the front is the same width as the back. I live in an area that is quite small car oriented. I now save gym membership money by parking at the back of the lot and walking less than a couple hundred feet. My other strategies are taking up four parking spots or if really narrow, parking on both lines.

pitman44
08-11-2019, 10:43 AM
My wife has our DRW 3500 GMC as her daily driver. So anyone who’s not using the right tow vehicle really has no excuses.

As for parking it at the grocery store, the trick is to back in. Makes parking super easy and saves the rear fenders from trouble.

We pull a dual axle 16.5k toy hauler and I would never pull it with a smaller truck.

I don't know what the deal is, but people will not cut you any slack backing out of a parking spot or onto a street. They will however wait for you to back into a spot or driveway...most of the time.

E Rod
08-11-2019, 10:46 AM
Went from a 2018 F350 LB,CC,DIESEL LARIAT SRW to an 2019 F350 King Ranch, LB,CC,DIESEL DUALLY. Can't really say it was day and night though the dually was a bit more stable. Acceleration was quicker and exhaust brake held far better but that could be due to the gears. My 2018 had 3.55 ,the 2019 dually has 4.10. They both pulled and stopped the 40 ft Alpine with ease. Now would i go back to an SRW. Too early to say as the SRW was easier to park, fit through drive thru's, went through car washes. However, i feel much more safer and confident with the dually should i have a blow out.

skmct
08-11-2019, 11:18 AM
I dont mean to be highjacking this thread. But I have been concerned about this for a while .l have been told that if your combined gvwr is over 26001 pounds you are required to have a CDl does this not apply to rv's . When I bought our tv and trailer I used that as a guide.

pitman44
08-11-2019, 02:42 PM
I dont mean to be highjacking this thread. But I have been concerned about this for a while .l have been told that if your combined gvwr is over 26001 pounds you are required to have a CDl does this not apply to rv's . When I bought our tv and trailer I used that as a guide.

In NYS you’re required to have an R endorsement to your driver’s license if the combined GVWR is over 26,000#. Most states have some requirement and you’re legal in all states if you’re legal in your home state.

TYHLR
08-12-2019, 04:14 AM
In NYS you’re required to have an R endorsement to your driver’s license if the combined GVWR is over 26,000#. Most states have some requirement and you’re legal in all states if you’re legal in your home state.

This mistake is made very often. While fortunately I know nothing about NY, I do know about CDL and DOT.

The rules for CDL are if the trailer that is being towed has a capacity of greater than 10k lbs and is being used in COMMERCIAL venture, then a CDL is required. The same holds true for the magical 26k number. CDL is required when exceeding 26k in a COMMERCIAL venture.

My camper is well beyond the 10k limit but because it is not used commercially a CDL is not required.

I will be one of the first to admit that when pulling campers that are beyond either of aforementioned limits probably should require a CDL.

Many of us have seen HUGE camping rigs on the road where the driver was well beyond their skill set. Not saying that the CDL would help but at least it would make the drivers of these rigs more aware of what they are getting into.

skmct
08-12-2019, 08:08 AM
Thank you for the replies. I should have looked more closely at my fl dr. The back states any non commercial vehicle with a gvwr less than 26001 lbs. or any rv. That being said we are very happy with our set up and have logged many happy miles traveling this great country. Thanks again

rhagfo
08-16-2019, 09:46 PM
Well on the subject of license requirements for driving an RV over 26,000#, here in Oregon there is no requirement for special license or endorsement to drive an RV over 26,000#. That said commercial trucks/drivers can tow up to three trailers, but a commercial driver with a triples endorsement can’t drive an RV towing doubles!

Badbart56
08-17-2019, 10:10 AM
Each state makes it's own rules. I understand California requires CDL's for fifth wheels. Not sure if it's weight limited or not.

rhagfo
08-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Each state makes it's own rules. I understand California requires CDL's for fifth wheels. Not sure if it's weight limited or not.

I believe that it is an endorsement to regular drivers license. To get a CDL is costly.

Badbart56
08-17-2019, 02:46 PM
I believe that it is an endorsement to regular drivers license. To get a CDL is costly.

Chuckster57 (from California) advises that they require a CDL in some instances.

chuckster57
08-17-2019, 06:42 PM
Chuckster57 (from California) advises that they require a CDL in some instances.

In calif your license is dependent on the GVWR of the fiver:
Under 10,000 lb- class C (regular license)
10,001-15,000 lb- travel trailer endorsement
15,001 and over lb- a “non commercial” commercial license.

The commercial license includes a driving test, endorsement is just a written test.

Brantlaker
08-18-2019, 04:15 AM
Federal DOT regulations require any towed combination over 32,000 lb have a CDL or a None commercial for over that weight.