PDA

View Full Version : Bent Hitch Lock Pin on Bumper Pull

Zixxer2Go
07-25-2019, 07:00 AM
Hey all, got a F250 SRW pulling a 37ft Outback 335CG using a WDH. To keep the hitch locked into the receiver, we bought the "Motovecor Trailer Hitch Lock 7inch Long Trailer Lock 5/8" Chrome Brass Core Locking Mechanism 3-1/2" on Amazon. After two trips, I see the hitch lock pin is now bent...whaaaa?

Anybody else have this problem? Solutions? Thanks :cool:

chuckster57
07-25-2019, 07:08 AM
I don’t haul a TT, but I think the brass core is the issue. Brass doesn’t have the tensile strength that steel does.

Tbos
07-25-2019, 07:10 AM
Ask for your money back.

Zixxer2Go
07-25-2019, 07:21 AM
Ask for your money back.

Yep, that's enroute :)

FlyingAroundRV
07-25-2019, 07:33 AM
Ask for your money back.
I'll second that. We have a lock pin that looks similar, but after 12000 miles it hasn't bent.
If, as you say that is a brass pin, that would be what I would expect towing a 37 foot trailer.
That pin is definitely not up to the task. Besides which, that thing is meant to be a lock. That pin could probably be sawn through with a hacksaw. Not secure for towing nor theft prevention.

sourdough
07-25-2019, 07:41 AM
I have a MasterLock (I believe) that looks almost like that. Been on some rough highways for many thousands of miles without any signs of use to speak of. I agree with the others; the brass core is the culprit. I would advise against getting a lock pin with the curved end vs the straight shank; I never had an issue with them until I got this bigger trailer but they will wallow out the hole in the receiver with that much weight.

Zixxer2Go
07-25-2019, 09:11 AM
We're trying this Trimax SXT5 Stainless Steel pin...up to 40K lbs it says :ermm:

5J's
07-25-2019, 10:20 AM
Yep, I agree that brass is the problem. I think the solution is 5th wheel. Don't miss your chance to upgrade. I can hear the conversation now "Honey our trailer isn't compatible with our hitch, we'll have to upgrade the trailer."

Zixxer2Go
07-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Yep, I agree that brass is the problem. I think the solution is 5th wheel. Don't miss your chance to upgrade. I can hear the conversation now "Honey our trailer isn't compatible with our hitch, we'll have to upgrade the trailer."

Great advice! Thanks my man! :lol:

Frank G
07-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Are you using the sleeve in the receiver? If so that is the issue, get a 2 1/2" shank or ball mount. This is covered in the Ford trailer towing guide. I cannot vouch for the OP's original pin, but the sleeve has been known to bend the pin to the point it needs to be hammered out.

I just read the OP's provided description of the locking pin. It is hardened steel with a brass lock. The pin is NOT made out of brass.

JRTJH
07-26-2019, 05:42 PM
Are you using the sleeve in the receiver? If so that is the issue, get a 2 1/2" shank or ball mount. This is covered in the Ford trailer towing guide. I cannot vouch for the OP's original pin, but the sleeve has been known to bend the pin to the point it needs to be hammered out.

I just read the OP's provided description of the locking pin. It is hardened steel with a brass lock. The pin is NOT made out of brass.

That's the same as I read the description: Chrome plated hardened steel pin with a brass core locking mechanism (to prevent corrosion). It shouldn't have bent and I've read many forum complaints on the Ford forums regarding bent pins and the 2.5:2" sleeve.