PDA

View Full Version : 30A wiring -- gauges

LHaven
07-24-2019, 02:47 PM
My Progressive electrical controller came in. After consideration, my preferred location is going to be behind the fusebox/converter, assuming there's enough vacant space.

My plan is to disconnect the shore feed from the fusebox terminals, route it into the controller input, then add a short jumper of 1' or so between the controller output and the fusebox terminals.

I have some 10/3/g solid in stock, and also some 6/8/6 stranded (a leftover dryer pigtail) which I would have to color-tape. Sources say a run under 25' should be happy with #10. I'm also unsure of the dis/advantages of solid vs. stranded.

Pros, which way would you go?

SummitPond
07-24-2019, 03:21 PM
Your plan is exactly what I did, although I used about 2 feet of cabling to allow me to work on the distribution panel in the "hall" versus in the wall. The label on the cabling I used was 10/2 even though it had the ground. Recognize 10 AWG cable is stiff; it was a challenge getting it back into the distribution panel and finagling it inside the PI box. Note the 10/2 is what fed into the distribution panel originally, not the shore cable. This was the same way it was wired on my 19FBPR too.

LHaven
07-24-2019, 03:23 PM
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22952&stc=1&d=1564010519

The feed cable turns out to be orange NMB-90, which the manufacturer website says is #10 solid, so there's no reason to exceed that.

I should have this done in a jiff, at least once I get rid of all the drywall chunks and sawdust Keystone left me in that compartment.

sourdough
07-24-2019, 03:37 PM
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22952&stc=1&d=1564010519

The feed cable turns out to be orange NMB-90, which the manufacturer website says is #10 solid, so there's no reason to exceed that.

I should have this done in a jiff, at least once I get rid of all the drywall chunks and sawdust Keystone left me in that compartment.

I think this is just SOP in an effort to leave the new customer with some free "spare parts" in the event they're needed!! :lol::lol::banghead:

NH_Bulldog
07-24-2019, 04:00 PM
There are two main differences between solid and stranded. Solid is a smaller diameter cable, but very stiff, and stranded is a larger diameter but much more flexible. 6 gauge is called for in a 50a circuit, 10 gauge is called for in a 30a circuit, 12 gauge for 20a and 14 gauge for a 15a circuit. It’s okay to oversize the wire (but why incur the expense).

LHaven
07-24-2019, 08:51 PM
Got it all connected and working together electrically, at which point I quit because it was hotter inside the RV than outside. I left the A/C running and the fusebox sitting on the floor. Tomorrow I"ll take care of dressing the cable clamp, drilling and mounting the display unit, and mounting the fusebox back to the wall. Thanks for the help, everyone.