PDA

View Full Version : Bird crap stain

maccam1
07-23-2019, 04:59 PM
I have a 2018 cougar,with a white fiberglass cap.just noticed this evening bird crap on it.
Hurried and got Maguire cleaner and cleaned it,well after cleaning,it left a reddish brown
Stain after cleaning it.any suggestions on how to get rid of the stain without harming the finish
Any help is much appreciated

sourdough
07-23-2019, 06:14 PM
Shoot the birds!! :lol: Seriously I'm not sure if there's anything you can do if it actually went into the finish. Did it have a good coat of wax on it? I would think it wouldn't penetrate that if you got to it pretty quickly.

JRTJH
07-24-2019, 05:53 AM
Bird dung has uric acid in it. Uric acid eats the clear coat finish and allows the organic ingredients of the dung to stain the underlying color layers of the paint finish. Once this layer is stained, little can be done to remove the stain. You might try bleach to lighten the stain, but if the bleach concentration is too strong, it may also remove the color and leave a "blotched area" on the trailer.

There are a few "bird stain removal compounds" on the market. Few of them, from what I've read, work as advertised.

If you're lucky and if the stain has not penetrated the entire color layers, you might be able to use an automotive compounding product to "remove the stained layers". If you do that, be cautious not to remove too much of the color layer or you'll be down to "raw fiberglass". If you use a compounding product, expect that you'll likely destroy the surrounding clear coat layer and the entire area will probably be subject to a dull finish once the wax wears away, so you'll need to keep it sealed/waxed to protect the underlying areas where the clear coat is removed.

To my knowledge, there is no good solution short of removing the stained paint layers and repainting.

maccam1
07-24-2019, 12:43 PM
Thanks for your info on this.
Not sure how I want to try and handle it,as I don't want
To do any damage to the cap

Pull Toy
07-24-2019, 01:49 PM
Just because... try softly buffing it with a whitening toothpaste on a damp cloth or papertowel. Don't be overly aggressive, because the toothpaste is mildly abrasive. Then buff with a dry cloth.

This worked fairly well for me with some "blueberry stained" bird poop.

Good Luck,

maccam1
07-24-2019, 04:02 PM
Pulltoy
Thanks for thetip,sounds like a less invasive attempt