PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

riarmysgt
07-21-2019, 08:16 AM
So my family just picked up a 2012 Keystone Bullet 294BHS. Went to go hook it up to the generator and this part went up in smoke. I am assuming it is the inverter. Is that what is its? Can i pick up one of these at a RV dealership? Thank you for your help

riarmysgt
07-21-2019, 08:26 AM
Little more research and I found out it's an converter.

chuckster57
07-21-2019, 08:31 AM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

Sorry it has to be under these circumstances. It is indeed a converter and yes you can get a new one at the dealer, or if the part number hasn't been smoked off, Amaxzon may be a better choice.

WHY IT WENT UP IN SMOKE is an issue that should be figured out before taking out another one as they aren't cheap. What brand of Gen? What kind of shape is the shore power cord in and di you have any extension cords in use?

riarmysgt
07-21-2019, 08:36 AM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

Sorry it has to be under these circumstances. It is indeed a converter and yes you can get a new one at the dealer, or if the part number hasn't been smoked off, Amaxzon may be a better choice.

WHY IT WENT UP IN SMOKE is an issue that should be figured out before taking out another one as they aren't cheap. What brand of Gen? What kind of shape is the shore power cord in and di you have any extension cords in use?

I think it was my wire I used to plug into the generator. I wired it wrong. I just picked up a generator adapter, which I should have done in the first place. Its a generac generator.

riarmysgt
07-21-2019, 08:39 AM
This is the only part number I can find it in

riarmysgt
07-21-2019, 08:41 AM
or this one

JRTJH
07-21-2019, 09:40 AM
Hmmmmm

Looking at your photos and the description of your trailer, it doesn't look like the OEM equipment.

Your trailer is a 2012, probably built in 2011 with components that were built in 2011 or earlier. Even if your trailer is a "late model 2012" the factory stopped producing 2012 models in around April 2012 and all built after that date were 2013 model trailers.....

It looks like the manufacture date on that converter is October, 2013 (1013) if what I see on the data plate in your photo is correct.

That means, I think, that the converter is not OEM ???? It may not make a "hill of beans difference" or there could have been a previous issue that caused the OEM failure and it just happened again.....

If you're positive that you miswired the plug and that's what caused the failure, replacing the converter may be the only thing required, once you have the correct wiring for the generator. If, however, you're not sure, I'd troubleshoot all the possibilities before installing a $150 converter and having it "smoke" as a test project.....

ChuckS
07-22-2019, 05:43 AM
The converter you picture is stock OEM 8955 converter fir your year, make and model. It is... my opinion the cheapest WFCO on the market.

http://https://www.trekwood.com/products/947203/Converter-Main-Board-Assembly-Complete-8955-ANP

Looking at the electrolytic caps popped on the board your issue was caused by mis wired incoming AC power. You blew the caps

I’d replace with a bit larger converter and I’d go with Profressive Dynamics. AND you need to see if you blew out

Any other AC appliances.

Microwave is always hot when plugged in so you may have smoked it as well

rjrelander
07-22-2019, 09:19 AM
May or may not have helped, but you probably want an electrical management system between the generator and the shore power cable. Good to have in general but also should have caught any wiring issues and would assist in troubleshooting