PDA

View Full Version : Electric Landing Gear Issue

Mongoose9400
07-18-2019, 09:05 AM
Last time everything worked correctly. Went to hook up today and raise does not work, but extend does. Switch?

ctbruce
07-18-2019, 02:54 PM
Battery fully charged?

Mongoose9400
07-18-2019, 05:28 PM
Battery fully charged?

Yeah, battery is charged. Motor will extend (raise trailer) but nothing when I try to lower the trailer. Motor doesn’t try to turn or make noise. Using the manual crack it moves easily.

I’ll try to dig into and look around. I only see two wires going to the motor. I was thinking the switch malfunctioned? I’m assuming the motor goes one way or the other based on the polarity of the two wires connected to the motor? I’m thinking the switch flip flops the wires. Bad switch or a loose wire?

Unless the motor can fail internally in one direction only? I don’t know much about the electric motor that’s used.

It’s strange since everything worked fine on our last trip out a few weeks ago. It’s just sat in storage connected to 20A. Batteries are charged. Go to hook up today and nothing when trying to lower. It’ll extend or raise all day long right now.

ctbruce
07-19-2019, 01:49 AM
Just a guess, but sounds like the switch. I'd start there with troubleshooting.

Mongoose9400
07-19-2019, 02:47 PM
Solved:

It was the switch. Pulled it out and opened it up. Contacts were dirty black. Cleaned up the contacts and slightly bent the “W” shaped rockers inside the switch to make better contact. ReAssembled and all is well.