PDA

View Full Version : Ram 3500 CC DRW w/factory air ride

Danno
07-17-2019, 09:24 AM
I have a 2018 3500 DRW CC with the factory air ride and pull two types of RV's and this is what I have learned. The air ride seems to ride nice, but with my slide -in truck camper (5000 lbs) and my boat (7000 lbs) bounces going down the highway and at times can be white knuckle to drive. To me that can be cured with shocks with better rebound. The other RV is a 40' fifth wheel toy hauler (18k) that tows like a dream all day long!

One other issue, the "Kneeling feature" of the air ride system sometimes won't work and I get the message "the load is too light", heck I have a 5k camper sitting back there! Any ideas? Eventually I can get it to lower but takes some screwing around, shut the truck off, pull forward twenty feet, etc.

What say the brain trust and if it's shocks what brand?

ADQ K9
07-17-2019, 09:38 AM
Maybe start with an adjustable shock and tune it to your liking, Rancho RS 9000 comes to mind.
My question on the air system is what has Ram done to keep it from freezing in cold weather? Is there an air dryer or alcohol sniffer built into the system? Air ride is nice when it works right.:twocents:

Danno
07-17-2019, 09:44 AM
Maybe start with an adjustable shock and tune it to your liking, Rancho RS 9000 comes to mind.
My question on the air system is what has Ram done to keep it from freezing in cold weather? Is there an air dryer or alcohol sniffer built into the system? Air ride is nice when it works right.:twocents:

Problem is, in my research so far no one makes a shock for the rear with air ride... All of the manufacturers say "without air ride"! except Mopar of coarse.

Pretty sure there are not wore out, the truck only has 11k on it.

Danno
07-17-2019, 09:46 AM
I should say, the first thing I added to the truck was a Helwig "Bigwig" sway bar.

ADQ K9
07-17-2019, 10:07 AM
I have to say I am most familiar with big truck Class 8 and up air ride systems.

Racebug
07-17-2019, 11:34 AM
I have the air ride too. I'm not sure what the weight limit is for the lowered or "alt ride height". I would think with a truck camper it would ride like a dream! as for the shocks, if you unbolt and measure it eye to eye extended and collapsed you can call bilstein or fox or any of the nicer shock companies and order what you need. I believe it is a "closed loop" nitrogen system, so no freezing or corrosion. Just finished a 5300 mile trip with my toy hauler and enjoyed every minute pulling it with that truck. "pulls like a dream" is an understatement!

Tbos
07-17-2019, 12:07 PM
A 5000lbs truck camper is probably heavier than the tongue load of your toy hauler when loaded. Hope you get it figured out. That one is a puzzling one.

Danno
07-17-2019, 01:02 PM
I have the air ride too. I'm not sure what the weight limit is for the lowered or "alt ride height". I would think with a truck camper it would ride like a dream! as for the shocks, if you unbolt and measure it eye to eye extended and collapsed you can call bilstein or fox or any of the nicer shock companies and order what you need. I believe it is a "closed loop" nitrogen system, so no freezing or corrosion. Just finished a 5300 mile trip with my toy hauler and enjoyed every minute pulling it with that truck. "pulls like a dream" is an understatement!

Oh it does ride nice except the shocks don't have enough rebound to slow the spring/air bag down. Pulling my 5er is great!