PDA

View Full Version : clay bar and wax

Frisbeekev
07-13-2019, 06:23 PM
Looking to detail the rig. How do the exterior of the RV's do with a clay bar, is it ok or too abrasive?. Also is there a certain type of wax to use? It is a fiberglass sidewall, Not azdel (however you spell it). Any other recommendations on detailing and RV?

GHen
07-13-2019, 08:13 PM
Many people including us use 303 aerospace UV protectant, and 303 protectant with wax.

The UV protectant makes up for the poor uv protection in the gel coat.

Canonman
07-14-2019, 05:06 AM
I had issues with the 303 streaking after it was rained on. Still use it on the roof and plastic fenders. I use NU Finish liquid on the body and front cap.
I think something like Nu Finish would be easier to apply than a clay bar.

Ken / Claudia
07-14-2019, 01:13 PM
I have been using a clay bar on cars/pickups for years. We get tar, lots of tree sap and bird poo on the vehicles. Never tried the bar on the RV. The bugs and stuff come off while washing with a brush. I wax the RV 1 time a year or use 303. Should be doing it more, just do not have the time.

LHaven
07-14-2019, 01:28 PM
I have a supply of Rejex left over from my old rig, which was aluminum sided, and I was very happy with the performance, especially in keeping it bug-free on our long trips. I am planning to use it on my new Cougar. It claims to offer excellent UV protection, so I'm hoping it will be a good choice for the Cougar's fiberglass, or gelcoat, or whatever this finish is.

08quadram
07-15-2019, 10:06 AM
I used nufinish on my 2013 Passport. In 5 years, the decals were like new. Usually put on one coat every year. The plastic yellowed, but that was unprotected. My new Bullet will get nufinish and 303 on plastic parts to keep them black

larryflew
07-24-2019, 09:45 PM
I clay bar 3 vehicles about every other year. When you can feel roughness in the finish after a wash and wax. Can't imagine doing my 5th wheel without having my arms fall off. IMO just don't need my trailer finish as nice as my vehicles.

Also need to realise it's taking your wax off too so you need a couple coats to get the protection back up to snuff.