PDA

View Full Version : Affordable 50 amp surge protector?

KeyCougar
07-12-2019, 08:41 AM
Hey all....we pick up our 338RLK Cougar tomorrow. Was interested in what is the best bang for the buck Surge protector.

I could get one at the dealer tomorrow, or I would camp tomorrow night without while I place an order on Amazon.

I am sure the Dealer is going to be off the charts expensive.

Thanks in advance!

JRTJH
07-12-2019, 09:08 AM
You ask about a "surge protector" but what you really need (and probably mean) is a Electrical Management System (EMS).

Don't be "fooled" by the advertisements for an RV Surge Protector.... They are nothing more than a "lightening protection device" (to hopefully stop damage in the event of a high voltage surge) You'll seldom find a "high voltage condition" in a campground and if lightening hits, chances are it'll jump the contacts in the surge protector and burn things up anyway.....

An EMS will protect your rig from low voltage conditions, crossed or missing ground connections, out of phase conditions, high amperage conditions and has a timer to protect your air conditioner against "intermittent voltage loss" which is one of the main reasons for air conditioner compressor failures.

A quality EMS is not cheap. There are two "main brands" that seem to be the "go to" for most people. Progressive and Surge Guard. Both have about the same lifetime warranty for their products, but the "lifetime" doesn't include "high voltage spikes" which can permanently destroy the unit.

Both companies have "built in" (hardwire) models as well as temporary (plug in) models.

There is also a "Hughes Auto-Former" on the market that performs the above functions and also acts as a voltage regulator to "increase voltage in low voltage conditions" (within reason) and prevent/regulate high voltage conditions.

The "new-comer" on the market is CAMCO. There isn't a lot of experience with CAMCO EMS products, but typically many of their "other stuff" is not quite up to the quality level of the competition. Some swear by CAMCO, some swear AT CAMCO....

chuckster57
07-12-2019, 09:19 AM
Price isn't a consideration when buying protection for your major investment.

Your dealer may have some "AFFORDABLE" ones like we do, but I wouldn't use it for anything other than a paper weight.
I have a progressive Industries 30A hard wired in my unit. Search for hardwired vs portable. I did camp for many many years without one and never had issues but now with the grid being what it is and aged, I wouldn't go without it.

KeyCougar
07-12-2019, 09:40 AM
Thank you for your replies....I am looking on Amazon now

chuckster57
07-12-2019, 09:48 AM
Just looked on Amazon and the Q and A at the bottom says DOESNT protect against low voltage. Low voltage can harm the AC compressor, so If your not using it this trip that would be ok. For the price I would keep looking for a unit that give you both over and under voltage protection

Try this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-34850-Portable-Display/dp/B00T36QHUO/ref=sr_1_9?crid=PYDLDVG95VTC&keywords=ems+50+amp+rv+surge+protector&qid=1562953649&s=gateway&sprefix=ems+50+amp%2Caps%2C226&sr=8-9

KeyCougar
07-12-2019, 09:55 AM
Looking back....Our 2015 TT that we are trading in went through two different slide motors. I have recently learned the electrical on our old permanent site was sketchy. Our power box basically caught on fire once...and since we leave our slide out all the time it seems everything was working once they repaired the box...however I did not attempt to pull the slide in until the end of season for winterizing....and the slide motor was bad. Not having that protection probably caused the issue. I got burned once....won't happen again.

I called my dealer...they have a progressive EMS/Surge protector for $374.39...and I will get another 10 percent off of that so I will go with the progressive. Thanks for the help and great advice!

tech740
07-12-2019, 09:57 AM
Just looked on Amazon and the Q and A at the bottom says DOESNT protect against low voltage. Low voltage can harm the AC compressor, so If your not using it this trip that would be ok. For the price I would keep looking for a unit that give you both over and under voltage protection

Try this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-34850-Portable-Display/dp/B00T36QHUO/ref=sr_1_9?crid=PYDLDVG95VTC&keywords=ems+50+amp+rv+surge+protector&qid=1562953649&s=gateway&sprefix=ems+50+amp%2Caps%2C226&sr=8-9

That’s the one we have and I love it. I have had one time when it was very hot and everyone was using AC the voltage dropped. It shut off my power which was inconvenient but made me feel comfortable my appliances were not being damaged. When the voltage returned to normal everything came back on. I really like the fact that it tests the circuitry of the pedestal before giving you power also.

KeyCougar
07-12-2019, 10:13 AM
I had my dealer order this one....PLEASE tell me its the right one?

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-EMS-PT50X-Portable-Protector/dp/B01N9MOY7B/ref=sr_1_3?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvq_40vSv4wIVRLnACh3J8 g-lEAAYASAAEgKsUvD_BwE&hvadid=177558133338&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1026082&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7608971755356163923&hvtargid=kwd-184525113181&hydadcr=7511_9880896&keywords=progressive+ems+50+amp&qid=1562953244&s=gateway&sr=8-3

chuckster57
07-12-2019, 10:50 AM
looks like it is:

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt50x

jeff57
07-12-2019, 10:51 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-EMS-PT50X-Portable-Protector/dp/B01N9MOY7B/ref=sr_1_3?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvq_40vSv4wIVRLnACh3J8 g-lEAAYASAAEgKsUvD_BwE&hvadid=177558133338&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1026082&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7608971755356163923&hvtargid=kwd-184525113181&hydadcr=7511_9880896&keywords=progressive+ems+50+amp&qid=1562953244&s=gateway&sr=8-3

That should take care of you and you won't regret the investment. Just last weekend our EMS shut down the power to the camper a couple of times due to low voltage from the grid, as it's supposed to. In a previous camper (and before I had an EMS or knew there was such a thing) we had an A/C unit fry due to low voltage from the grid. The $250+ investment in the EMS is way cheaper (and much less hassle) than replacing an A/C unit for $1200+.

Hope this helps.

KeyCougar
07-12-2019, 11:03 AM
I am stressing a bit...we are planning on camping tomorrow night. The dealer will not be able to get it til next Wednesday now...and the same for Amazon. I am afraid to risk one night without one...

chuckster57
07-12-2019, 11:14 AM
Where are you going? Newer park, not crowded? You might be good.

KeyCougar
07-12-2019, 11:36 AM
The park itself is older....(same park we had issues with) however the part we will be on for this Saturday is a weekend site (not permanent) and has fairly new 50 amp service. The only part of the campground that has problems is the old 30 amp section we were on before. For one night I may just forgo it since I can have one through Amazon by the following weekend.

KeyCougar
07-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Park holds a total of 400 plus sites....the weekends as of late have been slow there.

chuckster57
07-12-2019, 11:51 AM
I would probably chance it.

Ksupaul
07-12-2019, 01:56 PM

That’s the one I got about two months go. Used about three times. Easy to use for sure. Peace of mind was better feeling that I thought. I have experience with a $900 repair on another RV from a lightening (we think) strike.

Old Mustanger
07-12-2019, 08:01 PM
I am stressing a bit...we are planning on camping tomorrow night. The dealer will not be able to get it til next Wednesday now...and the same for Amazon. I am afraid to risk one night without one...

Is there a Camping World anywhere near you? I believe they carry the Surge Guard models.

KeyCougar
07-12-2019, 08:05 PM
no, the closest one is several hours a way

bobbecky
07-12-2019, 08:57 PM
That should take care of you and you won't regret the investment. Just last weekend our EMS shut down the power to the camper a couple of times due to low voltage from the grid, as it's supposed to. In a previous camper (and before I had an EMS or knew there was such a thing) we had an A/C unit fry due to low voltage from the grid. The $250+ investment in the EMS is way cheaper (and much less hassle) than replacing an A/C unit for $1200+.

Hope this helps.

There is a lot of blame made at the 'Grid' that causes problems, when really it is usually serious problems within the RV parks, with under sized wiring, old and neglected panels with loose outlets and connections. Most, if not all utilities are required to supply voltage within a narrow range of voltage and frequency, but once it delivered to the main panel of the park, all bets are off getting power to the pedestals within the park with good voltage. Just saying to make people aware of who to blame for the need for these EMS devices.

LHaven
07-12-2019, 10:34 PM
Just looked on Amazon and the Q and A at the bottom says DOESNT protect against low voltage.

I'm a little confused, since I can't find any particular unit called out in this thread before you posted this. What specific unit are you referring to that doesn't handle low voltage?

chuckster57
07-13-2019, 01:33 AM
IIRC it was this one

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-RV-Surge-Protector-50-amp/dp/B019QGP5PI/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?keywords=50a+rv+surge+protector&qid=1563010286&s=gateway&sprefix=50a+rv+surge&sr=8-9

I have no idea where the original post went, maybe it was zapped by lightning.

jsmith948
07-13-2019, 06:23 AM
Get an analog voltage meter that you can plug into a 120v receptacle.
It has no automatic protective features - won't shut the power down for you - but will give you an "at a glance" reading of the ac voltage in your trailer.
I got mine at Camping World, but, I think you could find one at one of the big box stores.

Not saying you don't need an EMS or surge protector of some kind. Just saying it would let you know if you have a high or low voltage issue and give you some peace of mind at the campground until you get delivery of your EMS. BTW, I would also carry a multi-meter and a cheap polarity tester.

JRTJH
07-13-2019, 07:43 AM
It looks to me like the "class of surge protector" being discussed is the SURGE GUARD 50 series.

According to Progressive Industries, the manufacturer, the following FAQ's should warn buyers that this is a "LIMITED PROTECTION" device. The following FAQ's are from the SSP questions:
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/faq
Q: Will these models provide voltage protection?
A: No. The surge protector models do not include voltage protection. The surge protectors strictly provide protection during an actual power surge. However, Progressive Industries surge protection units have additional features which include a built-in surge status indicator that note the condition of the surge protector, plus a dual line polarity tester that checks the status of the source prior to use. For complete protection, we recommend our EMS units.

Q: Will these models provide wiring protection?
A: No. The surge protectors do not provide wiring protection. They will identify an improper wire condition and will also shut off power if there are other conditions that are considered unsafe.

The EMS series actually "disconnects the RV from the power source if it tests unsafe" The SSP series does not do that, it only "warns of the condition"....

The only "protection" provided by the SSP models (the ones with the 3 lights on the faceplate) is a visual indication that something is wrong. THEY DO NOT SHUT OFF LOW VOLTAGE POWER TO PROTECT THE RV.

The EMS that you want (if you're buying this brand) is the EMS-PT50X. It has a monitor circuit AND will shut off power to the RV if there is a high or low voltage condition.

The SSP products will only "light LED's to warn of a problem while the RV receives the damaging voltage"
The EMS products will "TURN OFF VOLTAGE TO PROTECT THE RV.

The two models in this thread are SSP-50X and EMS-50X My recommendation is to steer clear of the SSP series......

mwemaxxowner
07-13-2019, 04:19 PM
I went with a bluetooth Power Watchdog from Hughes for now. I will have a true EMS before next camping season, but for now this will do, IMO. It is a standard surge protector, but it does have a replaceable surge unit. It will tell you upon plug in if you have an open neutral, open ground, "L1 and neutral reversed". Aside from that, you can connect via Bluetooth and monitor wattage, amps, voltage, and KWH used. You can set custom alarms if any of the parameters rise above or below range.

It's also neat for me to watch amp and watt usage in real time and see the changes certain appliances make, and gives me a good feel for what I would be able to run with a generator of a given size.

It will not shut things off for me if voltage is low, but it will allow me to monitor the park power from inside my camper.

https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd30/

They have a 50 amp unit also. 2279022791

Preyou
07-14-2019, 05:01 PM
I have the Progressive 50 amp. Went into park, plugged it in and voltage read 250. Pulled it out and went to another park and it read 120. Probably saved my electronics. I always plug it in first and check readings. If OK then plug in RV power cord.

sourdough
07-14-2019, 05:19 PM
Sorry for the late post but I've been on the road for 3 days.

For the OP; if you can't get the EMS or anything else, take a VOM and use it. It will not protect you real time for an extended period but it will give you a look at the status of the power at the plug at "that moment in time" including grd/neutral/reversals/low-high voltage etc. I used to use one all the time and then.....I got an EMS!! Now THAT'S glamping!!

Snoking
07-14-2019, 05:59 PM
The really important thing about 50AMP service is to have protection from a lost neutral. That will fry most/all the AC items that are plugged in. In a pinch I would use a 50A to 30A dog bone as 30 amp service does not create this condition of putting 240V across 120V items in the trailer if the neutral is lost.

The PI Hardwired EMS is the best as it protects against a shore power cable issue and the power inlet/cable reel issue if you have one. Chris

bobbecky
07-14-2019, 06:13 PM
There have been quite a few rigs damaged with a 30 amp outlet that has been miss wired with a hot leg to the neutral terminal in addition to the proper hot terminal which puts 240 volts into the rig.
A few hundred dollars spent on a quality EMS device is very cheap insurance to protect these rigs from a lost neutral or a lost ground or high or low voltage. Any of these conditions can damage the rig or a person that becomes the ground if the ground is missing from the pedestal. Like the old ad said, pay now or pay later, or the Dirty Harry quote-"Do you feel lucky?".

Snoking
07-14-2019, 06:49 PM
I had 30 amp rigs for decades and never had an issue, including no converter failures. I now have two 50a rigs(a 5th wheel and a TT) and both have PI HW EMS' with remotes.

Chris

KeyCougar
07-15-2019, 07:46 PM
After careful consideration I decided on the Camco model... I did some research and found it was the best fit for my whole covering of both the low and high voltage... thanks everyone for your help.

Snoking
07-15-2019, 08:31 PM
After careful consideration I decided on the Camco model... I did some research and found it was the best fit for my whole covering of both the low and high voltage... thanks everyone for your help.

I do not see where that unit will drop the circuit if neutral goes away.

*Voltage protector protects your RV from excessive voltage and power surges
Automatically disconnects when dangerous voltage levels are detected

It has lights to indicate issues:

The water-resistant unit incorporates diagnostic lights for visual indication of faults for reverse polarity, open neutral and other power-pedestal wiring issues.

Light might be on after things burn up for loss of neutral. Am I missing something?

PI EMS unit states: Open neutral protection
(one of the most important features)

I can not find the Defender manual online to read about it in more detail. Chris

sourdough
07-15-2019, 09:22 PM
I don't know that I would be comfortable with that unit. First, a readout is mandatory to me simply because it is handy and right here/right now without referring back to the "ledger" or whatever they call it.

Secondly, I don't think this unit protects you from the loss of neutral or other "stuff". It appears it will try to protect you upon startup but after that it will just notify you that your appliances were fried...after the fact as best I can tell.

"Protects your RV from dangerous high (>132 VAC) and low (<102 VAC) voltage levels
Automatically disconnects from dangerous voltage and reconnects after power stabilizes
Shows faults for reverse polarity, open neutral, and other power pedestal wiring issues
Integrated surge protection: 3,850 joules power rating for 50 Amps
Diagnostic lights for visual indication of fault
Protects your RV from dangerous voltage levels
Automatically reconnects after power stabilizes
Cautions user of power outlets wired with reverse polarity and/or voltage on ground
Integrated surge protection
Diagnostic lights for visual indication of faults"

"Protect your RV and appliances from high or low voltage levels and surges with Camco’s PowerGrip Voltage Protector and Circuit Analyzer."

"Once connected, it has a series of diagnostic LEDs that indicate the status of the source circuit. When compared to the key, different lighting combinations will alert you of any electrical issues. The voltage protector protects against faults for reverse polarity, open neutral and other wiring issues and will not let power through to the RV if any of these conditions are present during initial startup. Following startup, if the lighting sequence matches 'Power OK', then power will be supplied to the RV. In the event of a power surge or high/low voltage levels through the power pedestal, power will be disconnected and will reconnect only after the normal operating conditions have been restored. "

All of those descriptions sure sound to me like you won't have much of the protection other EMS units provide past startup. Trying to interpret "keys" is nonsense in this day and age. It specifically states "following startup" it apparently only protects against power surge and high/low voltage - one small step above a surge protector and not, from what I can tell, in the same ballpark as Surge Guard and Progressive...but extremely costly for what you get. I'm not a big fan of Camco and have never bought a product from them that was "top of the line" but that's JMO.

Preyou
07-16-2019, 05:17 AM
Let us know your experience

Snoking
07-16-2019, 05:38 AM
Here is a good write up about it. http://www.henrylahore.com/rv/rv%20surge%20protection.html

Back in the late 80's early 90's I had a electrical contractor lift neutral to a circuit that feed the back room computer equipment on a floor of one of the banks high rises in down town Seattle. They ended up paying 10's of thousands of dollars for new equipment.

I had a friend plug his American Eagle MH into a park outlet in California and the bill was over 10K to replace "things".

This a very important issue to 50 service RV, and one wants the best protection available.

Like I said earlier in the thread, we have two RV trailers and both have the hard wired PI EMS with remote displays at the electrical panel. Top item in both pictures.

Rinsrig
07-17-2019, 05:02 PM
Consider the fact that if you do not have a surge protector of some form on your RV, your warranty will not cover any damages caused by power surges if there is no surge protector in place.
Even if you don't have it under warranty, the chance of a fire is greatly increased when you get power surges from shore power.

cliff
07-18-2019, 09:17 AM
We bought a Surge Guard many years ago when all it had was a couple of lights. It has been used at every hook-up and we were grateful we bought this "insurance." We were at a campground where the neutral opened (aluminum wire) putting 220 Volts across the pedestal. The other campers around us lost TV's, inverters, power supplies, etc. Our simply shut off with no damage. this has happened to us twice. So send the bucks for the EMS because it is cheap compared to the damage without it.

itat
07-18-2019, 09:24 AM
I have the hard wired 50A Progressive Industries EMS. I've installed a PI EMS in my last 3 campers. I like the security of having the hard-wired version but it sure would be nice to be able to plug in the portable before even backing your trailer into the campsite. When we had the 30A trailers, I used this Prime Products Power Line Monitor (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BRFTH6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with a 30A-M to 15A-F adapter to check the 30A receptacle, but there's no such thing for a 50A. So, I've gotten into the habit of using a multimeter to check the 50A receptacle in the pedestal before plugging in.

LewisB
07-18-2019, 09:57 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the great responses! This is an expense I have been putting off - you guys have convinced me to do the right thing!

I just ordered a new Southwire Surge Guard #34951 and a #40301 monitor. This is the same EMS as the 34950 shown on the Southwire site but also includes an internal (bluetooth?) communications system to a remote wireless monitor. This gives complete protection and management features and allows remote monitoring of current levels, etc. Pretty slick system - but not cheap.

Here are the links to a couple of videos - I like this company where I made the purchase. Good website, great videos.

https://youtu.be/2ex3uVoHRgE?t=11

https://youtu.be/-u2umT-zbes?t=40

mpellet723
07-18-2019, 10:04 AM
I use a 50 Amp Surge Guard on My Keystone 29rld which I bought last September.
It has saved me twice.
I would no connect to a campsite with out it.

roadrunnernm
07-18-2019, 12:12 PM
I bought a 50A Surge-Guard (hard-wired) as soon as we bought our 2007 Montana fiver. I could not imagine going on the road without one. With this installed, We have don't have the surges that cause light to suddenly glow brighter, have not even popped a bulb on the 120V side, while have had to replace some on the 12V side. The guard offers a lot of protection for the microwave, refrigerator, all the heating systems, air conditioners, etc. We got ours from Amazon.

JMeadows
07-18-2019, 09:17 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the great responses! This is an expense I have been putting off - you guys have convinced me to do the right thing!

I just ordered a new Southwire Surge Guard #34951 and a #40301 monitor. This is the same EMS as the 34950 shown on the Southwire site but also includes an internal (bluetooth?) communications system to a remote wireless monitor. This gives complete protection and management features and allows remote monitoring of current levels, etc. Pretty slick system - but not cheap.

Here are the links to a couple of videos - I like this company where I made the purchase. Good website, great videos.

https://youtu.be/2ex3uVoHRgE?t=11

https://youtu.be/-u2umT-zbes?t=40

Ordered same setup, got it last week, haven't used it at campground yet but using it when plugged into my shop at home.

itat
07-19-2019, 04:28 PM
I like the way that both the Surge Guard and the new Hughes Autoformer Power Watchdog products have gone to a wireless Bluetooth monitor now. Definitely would be a nicer finished look than Progressive Industries’ wired remote display where the wire connects under the display. It’s impossible to hide that communication wire unless you do a custom flush mount with standoffs. PI finally has some competition and they better keep up!

mwemaxxowner
07-19-2019, 08:55 PM
The Bluetooth option is nice. I have contemplated semi permanently mounting an old cell phone in the camper to act as a monitor. I used it to check the voltage before plugging the camper in after checking the open neutral and open ground lights.