PDA

View Full Version : Going to Maine

ldiaz791
07-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Next month we are driving to Kennebunkport Maine for the first time with our 5th Wheel from Florida by way of I95. Can I hear some advise from those who have use the same route. Are there many tunnels and will my 42’ long,13.5” tall 5th wheel be able to pass. We also purchased the EZ Pass.

SummitPond
07-11-2019, 02:17 PM
It's been well over 10 years since I've driven I-95 all the way from ME to FL. Stick to the Interstate and you shouldn't have any issues, other than totally obnoxious traffic usually found on I-95.

If possible, schedule your arrival into NH/ME area earlier in the day if on a Friday or Saturday to avoid the worst summer traffic. Take the I-95/Maine Turnpike as far north as possible to avoid congestion on US Route 1; there is an exit at Kennebunk - I think it's milepost 25.

Safe travels.

Firewall
07-11-2019, 02:23 PM
The Baltimore Tunnel may be of concern. Some say you can't go through with propane others say so long as it is off you can. I always used the Key bridge, maybe others will chime in too. When you get up towards New York I suggest using the Gov. Cuomo Bridge, formerly known as the Tappan Zee or you can go up further and use the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge a little further up (I-84). Be sure when you get to the New England area to stay off any Parkway, the bridges are all very low. They are marked fairly well with "No Trucks, Commercial Vehicles, Trailers" etc.

If you come through Connecticut don't do it at rush hour. The Stamford, Fairfield, Greenwich area on 95 is brutal during those times.

I-95 is not cheap, your EZ Pass will get a workout! Next year when we go to Florida I plan on using (from Connecticut) the "inner route" I-81, I-77 to name a couple, there are only a couple of tolls until I get back on 95 in Georgia.

You'll love Maine. How many days are you planning for the trip? Enjoy!

ldiaz791
07-11-2019, 04:34 PM
My GPS is taking me through the NJ turnpike, can someone advise if there’s restriction on veh/rv’s dimensions. From what I have read on other older forums there’s none on the NJ turnpike as there is on the Garden State parkway which I don’t believe is part of my route.
We are doing two weeks there and another week in NJ on the way back.

Firewall
07-11-2019, 05:29 PM
My GPS is taking me through the NJ turnpike, can someone advise if there’s restriction on veh/rv’s dimensions. From what I have read on other older forums there’s none on the NJ turnpike as there is on the Garden State parkway which I don’t believe is part of my route.
We are doing two weeks there and another week in NJ on the way back.

You'll be fine on the NJTP. The northern part of the Garden State is where there are low clearances. Avoid anything that says Parkway up here!

gregrc75
07-12-2019, 03:44 AM
If arriving on a Saturday I would try to get into Maine before 9am otherwise it can be backed up from the Maine state line with NH all the way to the Mass state line. I drove to Maine every Saturday for a few summers.