PDA

View Full Version : bicycle hauling?

wiredgeorge
07-11-2019, 10:19 AM
My wife thinks I am getting fat. Just goes to prove she pays no attention to me as I have been this way for about 25 years! :facepalm:

She suggested hauling bikes when we camp for exercise and to see some scenery. I don't have a rear hitch receiver and would be limited to one of the racks that uses the bumper mounted spare, a bumper mounted rack or a rack that hangs off my rear ladder. Any tips or suggestions? Camco makes a rack that hangs off the ladder but I guess I would want some first had experience as almost nothing Camco makes is above suspicion, quality-wise. tia

GMcKenzie
07-11-2019, 10:29 AM
I moved mine to a homemade bracket that has them above the propane tanks.

Here are some options you can buy.

https://www.etrailer.com/search/Tongue+Mount+Bike+Rack

Tbos
07-11-2019, 12:27 PM
What about a roof rack on the truck?

Cbrez
07-11-2019, 04:20 PM
I had a “snow plow” receiver installed on the front of the truck for the bike rack. I aim the bike handles toward the passenger side and installed quick releases on the seat posts. Without the handlebars and seats in the way, DW has no problem seeing over the bikes. Works great.

Canonman
07-11-2019, 04:59 PM
"She suggested hauling bikes when we camp for exercise and to see some scenery. I don't have a rear hitch receiver and would be limited to one of the racks that uses the bumper mounted spare, a bumper mounted rack or a rack that hangs off my rear ladder."

I can't hardly believe you, of all people, would consider any kind of rack that wasn't attached to a receiver that was welded/bolted to the frame:lol:
IMHO it's the only way to properly carry bikes. A good quality Thule, Yakima, ettc. receiver mounted rack:facepalm:

ctbruce
07-11-2019, 05:10 PM
I think his idea is BRILLIANT! Attach them to the bumper, ride over a bumpy road and...NO MORE EXERCISE BIKES. Its perfect.

Canonman
07-11-2019, 05:36 PM
WOW!! I never even considered that motive. AND, it was her idea... Truly Brilliant indeed!

gearhead
07-11-2019, 05:52 PM
I have a Curt receiver hitch on the front of my truck. I put my bike rack and bicycle on it when I used the cabover truck camper. Handlebar towards passenger side. If you go this direction I would get one that supports the bike at the bottom of the tires. My bike hangs from the top tube and the wind pushes it against the truck. I have a plan to fab some PVC pipe to prevent that. I need to execute that plan.

wiredgeorge
07-12-2019, 04:57 AM
Don't have a front receiver hitch on my F-350 nor a receiver hitch on my trailer. Guess welding one on would be an option but how bad do I want to haul bikes? I could also dump the bikes in front of the Andersen gooseneck which would be easier than welding. Maybe my missus will forget I am fat or forget the whole idea which would be the ideal end to this fiasco.

rjrelander
07-12-2019, 05:42 AM
The advantage of bike racks mounted to a front receiver is that you can immediately see when the bikes fall off. :whistling: