PDA

View Full Version : in command and hot water heater

ronheater70
07-10-2019, 04:24 PM
This is for a 2019 369BHS but I imagine there are several similarities on different units.

So I was wondering about the hot water operation.. I have an on-off feature on the in-command system. I also have the manual switch out by the hot water heater.. So does the in-command override the switch on the water heater for electric operation or vice versa? I haven't used it yet but heading out tomorrow for first extended weekend trip and was curious.

Logan X
07-10-2019, 04:57 PM
The manual switch on the hot water heater itself is for the electric side only. That switch must be on for the electric side of the hot water heater to work. That’s the way it is with mine anyways.

ronheater70
07-10-2019, 05:17 PM
O.k so the in-command panel does nothing for the electric hot water heater then. You still have to go outside and flip the switch on the unit. So even though the in command shows electric, the only thing that it really controls would be the gas operation then. Got it.. Thanks.

GeekSquadOfUn
07-10-2019, 05:22 PM
iN-Command will allow you to pick Electric, Propane or Both.

Electric will only work if the outside switch is ON.

I leave my outside switch always ON, but am careful to make sure it is filled with water when I use it on Electric mode, the element would be toast in seconds if its empty...

ronheater70
07-10-2019, 05:38 PM
iN-Command will allow you to pick Electric, Propane or Both.

Electric will only work if the outside switch is ON.

I leave my outside switch always ON, but am careful to make sure it is filled with water when I use it on Electric mode, the element would be toast in seconds if its empty...

So if the switch on the tank is in the on position then the in-command controls it on and off? (electric) But if it is in the off position the in command cannot turn it on? I never run my Hot water until Im setup and ran enough water to fill the tank. Im plugged into electric full time at the house but drain my tank soon after returning home because it may be several weeks before I get back out again.

GeekSquadOfUn
07-10-2019, 05:45 PM
Yes and yes

Logan X
07-10-2019, 07:26 PM
I concur with Geek Squad. I apologize for not making it clearer in my earlier post.

LHaven
07-11-2019, 01:01 AM
So if the switch on the tank is in the on position then the in-command controls it on and off? (electric) But if it is in the off position the in command cannot turn it on?

Yes. The switch on the tank is a safety switch that should only be used when you are storing the rig and emptying the water heater. It is mainly to prevent the water heater being turned on negligently when there is no water in it. It's not something you should be turning on and off during the camping season.

ronheater70
07-11-2019, 03:01 AM
O.k, thank you folks for setting me straight, looking forward to the first out this evening, close by to try it all out.

ChuckS
07-11-2019, 06:08 AM
I’d use the outside 120 volt switch to make sure the water heater is off when getting ready to store for periods of time , etc

And on units without in command most only have the outside switch as a means to control operation of 120 heating element.

I turn mine off every time I disconnect from an RV site. That way it’s off and I won’t accidentally risk burnin out the heating element.

ronheater70
07-11-2019, 07:27 AM
I’d use the outside 120 volt switch to make sure the water heater is off when getting ready to store for periods of time , etc

And on units without in command most only have the outside switch as a means to control operation of 120 heating element.

I turn mine off every time I disconnect from an RV site. That way it’s off and I won’t accidentally risk burnin out the heating element.

yea, at this point I reckon I dont see the whole point of it on the in command system anyway if you have to go out and turn it on when you get there and turn it off when you (like I do) ..Well shal say like I prefer to do.

ChuckS
07-11-2019, 07:45 AM
Yup in my opinion too easy to fat finger it via in Command. Personally I don’t like the In command system and glad my model Alpine has manual switches for everything.

GeekSquadOfUn
07-11-2019, 08:06 AM
New technology is always difficult for many. I have in-command and I love it.

There are pros and cons, yes. Like anything else.

But we all need to get use to it, it's coming to every RV near you.

My mom missed her rotary phone for years ��

JRTJH
07-11-2019, 08:36 AM
yea, at this point I reckon I dont see the whole point of it on the in command system anyway if you have to go out and turn it on when you get there and turn it off when you (like I do) ..Well shal say like I prefer to do.

The "point of it" as it pertains to the water heater and switch is that the component (water heater) is not exclusive to only trailers that have the "In-command system" installed. That water heater is an "industry standard" water heater, used on multiple trailers, many without "In-command" where the switch is the ONLY way to control the electric function....

Until Suburban and Atwood build a water heater "specifically for the In-Command system" the use of a component with multiple applications will mandate that the switch be present, even if it's not used, so the component will still work with other applications.....

It's sort of like "why is there a plug for heated mirrors on my truck. I don't have heated mirrors... The plug is there because it's cheaper to build one wiring harness for the vehicle and not use certain features of that harness rather than have 4 or 5 or more "versions" depending on specific vehicle requirements.....

MarkEHansen
07-11-2019, 10:27 AM

You don't have to use the outside switch each time you want to use the WH. I turn my outside switch off when I drain the WH and turn it on when I fill it - which is usually once (each) per season. During trips, I use the iN-Command controller to turn on/off the WH selecting gas, electric or both as the need arises.

Don't over complicate it.