PDA

View Full Version : Dometic 4 door fridge

mpv1948
09-09-2011, 06:03 PM
We purchased an 2011 Alpine in April. On our first trip we were in the campground for 5 days & everything was quiet. The 6th day our refrigerator started to make a loud sound when running. It is a Model RM1350 Dometic 4 door. We took it back to Camper World on our return trip & they say the noise is from cooling fans on the back. They changed them & the new ones have the same noise. Is anyone having the same problem with this refrigerator?

JRTJH
09-10-2011, 11:32 AM
We have a Dometic RM2652. When we first bought the trailer, the reefer would cool down, then when it cycled, it would not cool further and within a couple of hours would start warming up. Dometic replaced the cooling unit and all has been fine since then.

Initially, when it would start to cool down, the ventilation fan near the cooling unit behind the reefer would start. It was somewhat noisey, but not really that bad, however, when it cycled and started warming up, the fan ran constantly and it was very noticable. So loud in fact that it became annoying, especially at night when things were quiet. The reason, I think was that it was on all the time trying to help cool the unit. Once the new cooling unit was installed, I very seldom hear the fan, and when I do, it's only on for a couple of minutes then off for a long while before it cycles on again.

It's not annoying because it isn't a constant whine.

Your referigerator is substantially larger than ours, with, I believe, 2 cooling units, so it makes sense that it would work harder to cool the interior and need more ventilation to keep the backside cool. I'd think your fans would run longer, but I'd also think they wouldn't be any noisier than before. You will hear then inside when things are quiet.

I'd venture to say that if the first set sounded like this and the second set is just the same, that's pretty much the best it's going to get. You may be able to find a trailer similar to yours, turn on the reefer and compare the sounds to what you have in your existing trailer. That would tell you whether you have a problem or not.

mpv1948
09-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Thank you for your reply.
Camper World will be changing these fans again on Monday. Hopefully this set will Not be noisey like the other 2 sets. I contacted Dometic but the customer service person that I spoke with was not sympathetic to my problem. In fact she was very rude. She told me that I should be happy to own a nice camper & stop complaining about a little noisey fan. As with yours they are very noisey in the evening when we are trying to sleep. I will be contacting Keystone direct tomorrow & make them aware of the rudeness of the companies that supply their equipment.

We did see an Alpine in a campground not far from our home. We spoke with the owners & their refrigerator is the exact same one as ours. They told us that it makes NO sound when it is running.

Camping World in Lakewood, NJ is doing everything in their power to correct this ongoing problem. They tried to get us a new refrigerator but Dometic said it is just the fans so they won't let them replace that.

mikell
09-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Our fans only run when it's real hot out probably 90 +. It;s kinda annoying but were usually not inside when it happens