PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling fan and lack of air flow

Don_T
07-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Our Alpine has a ceiling fan, appears to be a 42”. It moves very little air. I wonder if that is because it is so close to the ceiling, 4” from blades to ceiling, or is it because the fan is junk? It doesn’t matter much which direction the fan is turning.

JRTJH
07-08-2019, 10:27 AM
12 VDC fans have a smaller motor and turn a bit slower, so if it's "battery powered" it will likely be much less effective than one that operates on 120VAC (shore power). The pitch (angle of the blades) has as much to do with air movement as does the speed. When coupled with the air flow above the fan (yours is 4") they all factor into how much air the fan can move. So, it may be a quality fan with a poor installation location, it may be a cheap fan with a minimum pitch or it may be a 12 volt fan that's overwhelmed by the size of the room.

larryflew
07-08-2019, 10:29 AM
Installed a really nice Hunter in our Alpine and it moves even less air being an inch cloer to the ceiling than the old one was. Problem is you can't go lower due to slides unless you want to remove blades every time you move.

Don_T
07-08-2019, 11:22 AM
Good points both, thanks. I just verified, the fan is 120VAC. I fear the distanced from the ceiling is the problem and you are correct in the lack of room to install a lower one. I was thinking about ordering a Hnter 42” but I am wondering if a 52” ceiling hugger fan would work? Probably too close to the ceiling anyway. Now I am also thinking a bigger fan may trip the breaker, at least on startup, if I have other things on the same circuit on as well.

JRTJH
07-08-2019, 11:59 AM
The fan motor is only about a 1 amp load. Chances are pretty slim that it would trip a 15 amp breaker, even with other items drawing power on that circuit. The difference in amp draw from a 42" to a 52" ceiling fan is really so small that it's not a concern for almost every application.

As for a "ceiling hugger" style fan, they typically have a greater blade pitch to compensate for being closer to the ceiling. It might work better than what you have. Depending on where you buy, you might be able to try it and return it if it doesn't improve airflow.

larryflew
07-08-2019, 12:20 PM
If you try one try bigger. Our purchase was a hunter ceiling hugger but the inset in the ceiling makes the space even shorter

GHen
07-09-2019, 07:36 AM
Maybe a few washers could increase the pitch of the blades....
I have not tried that yet.

Don_T
07-10-2019, 08:54 AM
If you try one try bigger. Our purchase was a hunter ceiling hugger but the inset in the ceiling makes the space even shorter

I am a bit concerned about this. Being inset in the ceiling makes the hugger fan a lot closer to the ceiling. I am not so sure it will work.

Don_T
07-10-2019, 08:55 AM
Maybe a few washers could increase the pitch of the blades....
I have not tried that yet.

I have not thought about this. I need to consider it. Thanks.

bobbecky
07-10-2019, 09:37 PM
We have to run our 42" 120 volt ceiling fan on low so it doesn't blow everything out of the rig. Make sure you have the fan rotation set so air is blowing down instead of up. Should be a little slide switch to change direction of rotation below the fan blades.

Don_T
07-11-2019, 04:23 AM
We have to run our 42" 120 volt ceiling fan on low so it doesn't blow everything out of the rig. Make sure you have the fan rotation set so air is blowing down instead of up. Should be a little slide switch to change direction of rotation below the fan blades.

The fan is turning in the right direction. It looks as though your fan in not set into the ceiling like mine is. You seem to have more room between the ceiling and fan blades than the 4” I have. Have you measured your clearance?

ajk170
08-16-2019, 11:10 AM
Don_T- do you have any updates on your ceiling fan delimma? The in-laws 2018 Alpine appears to suffer the same problem as yours. It too is inset into the roof (it's the spot that a third A/C would go if the Alpines had it). I've tried both directions and neither has an appreciable difference from the other direction.

Thanks!

Pull Toy
08-16-2019, 01:39 PM
Based on my observation, over several years, the ceiling fan in most campers is purely for ambiance, and pretty useless. Put it on low, to impress the neighbors, and get a Walmart’s cheap oscatilating fan for the counter or floor model, when needed. Move it to the bedroom for a better nights sleep. We also take a clamp on model out to the EZ up, or awning for those times when when the air just won’t move.

Make sure to plug in to a GFI outlet when used outdoors, and if you use a mist sprayer bottle, use it after the FAN!!! lol.

Good Luck.

ajk170
08-16-2019, 02:00 PM
Based on my observation, over several years, the ceiling fan in most campers is purely for ambiance, and pretty useless. Put it on low, to impress the neighbors, and get a Walmart’s cheap oscatilating fan for the counter or floor model, when needed. Move it to the bedroom for a better nights sleep. We also take a clamp on model out to the EZ up, or awning for those times when when the air just won’t move.

Make sure to plug in to a GFI outlet when used outdoors, and if you use a mist sprayer bottle, use it after the FAN!!! lol.

Good Luck.

Thanks- that's what they're doing now - the fan both inside and outside. We've said something similar that it's just for decoration! Glad to hear we're not wrong!

Alpine
08-16-2019, 09:24 PM
We lucked out.... this is our 2012 Alpine with original ceiling fan. You all made me get up from the comfort on my chair to measure & photograph. The closest part of the outer blades to the ceiling is 6-inces. We must have it on "low speed" or it blows out my wife's candles!:eek:

ajk170
08-16-2019, 10:12 PM
Alpine- it looks as though Keystone was doing it right back then by not recessing it like they do now. I like the look of yours! Carry-on, you can go back to your comfy chair! Thanks for checking!