PDA

View Full Version : What are these keys for?

racetech
07-07-2019, 06:17 PM
Bought my trailer used in April. The keys i was given are these. The black FIC key fits the door handle lock and works fine. None of the keys turn the dead bolt. The purple keys basically work in none of the cylinders on my camper. Does anyone recognize these Global keys, I have no idea why I even have them. And Im not sure how im going to get a dead bolt key. Buy a whole new lock??

chuckster57
07-07-2019, 06:31 PM
The G330 key is for storage compartments. Common like the CH751 key. The key that turns the handle should also do the deadbolt.

If they don’t work then you need to talk to the selling dealer about getting a set that does everything.

If they say it was “as is” then a new lockset may be your only choice. Can you post a pic of the compartment locks?

racetech
07-07-2019, 06:36 PM
There is a seperate silver key with no plastic that opens all my compartment locks, it just didnt make it into the picture.

chuckster57
07-07-2019, 06:38 PM
There is a seperate silver key with no plastic that opens all my compartment locks, it just didnt make it into the picture.

The silver key is a CH751?

racetech
07-07-2019, 06:43 PM
The silver key is a CH751?

Yes it is. So far it looks like i was given keys that dont go to the camper. Unless locks were changed and these keys were rendered obsolete who knows. It looks like i can get a new lock set for $30 that may be my best bet.

KeithInUpstateNY
07-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Have you tried turning the deadbolt with the key that fits the door lock with the door open? Some times the strike plate is out of adjustment and the deadbolt won't throw because it is hitting the strike plate.

As an additional note, you should only be able to remove the key from the deadbolt in the 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions. If you can remove it in the 9 o'clock position the cylinder should be replaced under the FIC recall.

racetech
07-07-2019, 06:51 PM
Yeah i have tried it with the door opened and everything, wont budge. Thanks for the info

chuckster57
07-07-2019, 07:02 PM
I would replace the lockset and toss both the black and G330 keys. FWIW the G330 lockset isn’t anything like the CH751.

CH751 is just a cylinder lock. G330 is a “slam latch” lockset that requires a large square hole to mount.

LHaven
07-07-2019, 07:47 PM
Yeah i have tried it with the door opened and everything, wont budge. Thanks for the info

When I bought my Cougar, I didn't understand why I got four purple keys, and couldn't open one of my doors at all. Eventually, I was informed that both entry doors were keyed differently, and two of the purple keys opened one, while the other two opened the other. There are serial numbers on the keys and on the door locks. Match them up and things might work better. If none of them match, you got the wrong keys.

I have no idea what the magic black key is. Maybe the dealer put his master service key on your keyring by mistake.

(I still think it's ridiculous for the manufacturer to key the doors differently from each other.)

MarkEHansen
07-08-2019, 07:57 AM
@LHaven - I have the same trailer as you. I'm frustrated with the different keys for the two doors. I contacted Keystone and asked if I could get a replacement lockset for my front door, keyed the same as my back door ... No!.

I took the lock set to a locksmith. They can re-key the dead bolt, but not the handle lock (as it is molded into the handle material - no way to get the cylinder out). What junk!

Royalwapiti
07-26-2019, 06:51 PM
i think the purple keys are used to set/remove the cylinders in the lock. Not to be used with opening doors.

i just got a new set of cylinders and keys from vendor handling the recall.

Go here and check out your key numbers.

http://www.fastecindustrial.com/faq/default.html

chuckster57
07-26-2019, 07:06 PM
G330 is a compartment door lock, a “slam latch” style if I remover right. I have a drawer full of them , Cruiser RV used them on the Shadow Cruiser and Fun Finder line.

Bostongone
07-26-2019, 07:24 PM
Assuming that these are FIC lock sets please use the FIC link in post 11 and read their directions for determining which lockset you have as well as which key code is in each lockset. Depending on the key code and how current it is you may be able to order just one replacement set to rekey one door to match the other or order two sets with the same code and replace all locksets.
One of my key codes was involved in the recall and since the series was obsoleted all I had to do was buy an additional matched key code in addition to the free recall replacement and now I have ONE key for the handle lock and the deadbolt for both doors.