PDA

View Full Version : Suburban Hot Water Heater: Need your advice!

kpascal
07-07-2019, 08:47 AM
Hi,

First time poster; hey everyone!

Last season my Suburban water heater worked fine.

In case this may be related: At the end of the season the 12V switch to retract my slides would not work. Checked fuses which were fine and used a drill on the pump to manually retract them. Used same method to extend this season.

When I opened up the trailer this season the hot water heater 'SW16DEL' (electric side) would not work, nor would the propane side (no light beside switch when I turn switch on/no ignition sounds). I checked the breaker and 12V fuses in the electrical panel. all appear fine.

The troubleshooting I have done so far includes: replaced the anode, heater element, on/off switch on bottom left corner of the front of the water heater and the 110 thermostat (both switches on plate).

Wondering if it may be a 12V issue that is affecting both systems? If so, I am at a loss of where to look/what to do next.

I am not an electrician but do own an ohm meter. Any suggestions for the next step would be appreciated. We're kind of missing our hot showers. :p

Thanks!

Kevin

hankpage
07-07-2019, 09:07 AM
Behind the rubber grommet on the face of the heater there is a reset switch. The location is marked by two small circles that say push. Only one may have a switch behind it so press both slowly. You should feel a slight click if it resets. If it tries to light too many times or overheats this may trip. This should have been your first option before spending time and money on repairs. On the bright side you are now an experienced water heater repair person. ;)

Just reread your post..... is your battery charged and disconnect in the proper position???

Logan X
07-07-2019, 09:08 AM
Have you tried the black reset buttons on the front of the water heater?

Logan X
07-07-2019, 09:09 AM
Behind the rubber grommet on the face of the heater there is a reset switch. The location is marked by two small circles that say push. Only one may have a switch behind it so press both slowly. You should feel a slight click if it resets. If it tries to light too many times or overheats this may trip. This should have been your first option before spending time and money on repairs. On the bright side you are now an experienced water heater repair person. ;)

Haha, posting at the same time...

hankpage
07-07-2019, 09:20 AM
Haha, posting at the same time...

I only beat you because you took the time to post pictures. :bow:

Logan X
07-07-2019, 09:23 AM
I only beat you because you took the time to post pictures. :bow:

I’m just happy my advice was the same as yours. :)

kpascal
07-07-2019, 01:47 PM
I replaced the thermostat and the reset switch on the 110 side and have made sure they were pressed. Sadly, that isn't the solution. :(

Logan X
07-07-2019, 02:02 PM
Hmm. Can you use your multimeter to check if you are getting any power to the water heater. I would check both 110v and 12v.

Logan X
07-07-2019, 02:09 PM
You may have to remove some cabinets or drawers to acces the body of the water heater to have access to where the power is coming in. It goes without saying be very careful with the 110v power. Don’t do anything you are not comfortable with.

If there is power coming to the heater then I would continue to troubleshoot the heater. If there is no power coming to the heater, your problem is elsewhere.

ChuckS
07-10-2019, 05:49 AM
Relay module mounted on back side of water heater. Need to get to it and verify 12
Volts present as well as 120 at junction on the relay module board

wiredgeorge
07-10-2019, 06:32 AM
If the propane doesn't work/light, suspect the 12V issue.