PDA

View Full Version : Do I need an RV cover

Preyou
07-03-2019, 07:01 AM
I have read articles about "best" RV cover. Just read one that says they are a rip off as they fail within a few years--just after warranty runs out. I live in North Florida so snow is not an issue. What do folks use if any? If you just wax is the wax mix in the soap used for washing enough?

2019 Cougar 315RLS named Stormy

Weekender 1
07-03-2019, 07:14 AM
I line in the lake snow region where we get yards of snow, no cover.
The park were in there are a few that use them and I've seen damage done by using them. Chafing on side from strap, chafing on the roof edges that could lead to damage to the roof etc, all are wind related. A few have had n damage done, but 3 years max is what I see with them before patching begins.
Nice wash twice a year and I use a polymer synthetic from Meguires, ceramic waxes I have heard work good, but I gotta kill the bottle I have before I try it. Rain X on the windows is a nice touch and use a good vinyl/rubber cleaner protector on seals and such. Keep locks, slide rails etc lubed also.

Logan X
07-03-2019, 07:22 AM
I use Meguiars ultimate wash and wax at least twice a year and I apply a separate coat of spray wax. I use 303 aerospace protectant on the plastic, vinyl, and tires.

Don’t use any soap with wax on your roof. The wax has petroleum distalates which will damage the rubber roof.

I don’t use a cover.

Weekender 1
07-03-2019, 07:27 AM
Don’t use any soap with wax on your roof. The wax has petroleum distalates which will damage the rubber roof.

Yupper!!
Camco or similiar roof cleaner and protector. Let that be done first, let it rain a few times before you wash and wax it.

travelin texans
07-03-2019, 08:17 AM
The wind damaging the cover or chaffing the rv are 2nd in my opinion to having to wrestle the cover up to the roof & hop scotch over it numerous times to get it rolled out while on the roof. To be honest in my old age I've become scared of heights, not so much the height but the abrupt stop, probably cause I don't heal as well as I use to.
Personally NO cover just a good wax job a couple times a year!

JRTJH
07-03-2019, 08:54 AM
The "best" RV cover is building a pole barn or renting "inside storage".... Covers are a "third choice" following "just leave it outside, keep it clean and waxed"..... Of course, the manufacturers of ADCO and other covers would disagree, probably because their profit margin would go way down if people stopped buying their "last a couple of years and hopefully won't damage your RV" covers....

Frank G
07-03-2019, 11:39 AM
Our unit is now permanently in Florida, Just south of Brooksville. There are about 200 units that stay there year round without any cover. When we return in October it will get a bath and shine again. I would think the cover would trap heat and moisture and do a lot of damage, that's me overthinking things again.

There are many ways people lay up there units for the summer, I chose to leave the AC units on, set at 80 and 85, basically to do the dehumidification.

Preyou
07-03-2019, 12:11 PM
Thanks--y'll saved me a few hundred bucks. I was leaning in the direction of no cover but this makes me feel better

Canonman
07-03-2019, 12:15 PM
We cover during the winter off season, late October through May. In my opinion, it protects the roof and sides from UV, as well as storms and dirt. Just a little added protection from the elements for 1/2 a year. Once uncovered for the season we don't use the cover between outings.

JMaster
07-03-2019, 01:06 PM
I use 303 aerospace protectant on the plastic, vinyl, and tires.

I don’t use a cover.

This right here. 303 is hands down one of the best investments you can make for your RV. Put it this way.... our last Toy Hauler we traded in was used a LOT out in the desert. I used 303 religiously on it and the dealer asked if we ever actually used our Toy Hauler. It looked better then showroom and was 3 years old. 303 is magic.

Pete Hartley
07-03-2019, 01:22 PM
I live in a Canadian snow belt and I picked up an ADCO by Covercraft RV storage cover off Amazon for a good price. It held up really well through the past winter (wind, ice, rain, snow, etc) Recommended.

sourdough
07-03-2019, 02:04 PM
I have read articles about "best" RV cover. Just read one that says they are a rip off as they fail within a few years--just after warranty runs out. I live in North Florida so snow is not an issue. What do folks use if any? If you just wax is the wax mix in the soap used for washing enough?

2019 Cougar 315RLS named Stormy

I think the majority don't use trailer covers - I don't see many as I move about. An issue I would worry about in your area would be the heat and condensation formed under the cover. I believe we've had posts from some members that had structural/siding issues after leaving their rig covered that may have been attributed to the collection of moisture and inability for it to escape - no matter how well the manufacturer tells you it "breathes".

Beyond that, they're a pain to put on, chafe the trailer in high winds, can get cut on the corners relatively easy, and in our country, sand/dust gets under them and then every move is like sandpaper grating the surface. JMO and observations but something to think about.

GHen
07-03-2019, 07:31 PM
I just use 303 with wax on the sides, straight 303 on the front cap. They both have the best UV protectant for the fiberglass. Applied Spring and fall. I first discovered 303 when trying to correct an oxidation problem on my boat, after trying numerous items from Marquires and others, 303 was amazing and solved all my oxidation issues.

The wax is a wipe on, wipe off. I can have the whole rig done in a couple hours. The biggest benefit is you get to look and touch every seam, find the cracks in the sealant and make repairs before they get worse.