PDA

View Full Version : Ok. How many have ripped off ur antenna?

Getn off
07-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Yep. I am officially THAT GUY! Lol
On a 2 week trip from Orlando thru Savannah to Gatlinburg. Using Ford GPS, but bought a Co-pilot as a backup so I dont get caught in undesirable locations! Wasted that damn $40! Both sent me on a journey the last 10 miles on a road that rivaled the Tail of the Dragon....seriously! I was lucky that I came across no low bridges. Power lines were sketchy, but obviously high enough. Tree limbs...nope. Watches my tv antenna roll off the back with some tree branches. Was going very slow, maybe 15.
Nothing that a few hundred bucks and even more beer (to numb my pride) wont cure!
So, how many of you have been in my shoes? All? None? Lol
Wife has been wanting satellite, so mabe this is a good excuse to put one in the tv antenna location?! Is that feasable? 2k or so installed?
I guess it could have been worse...both AC units are fine! On no rips on the roof!
I need more beer...
Troy
Btw, Gatlinburg South KOA is very nice!

Getn off
07-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Pic of campground from a Keystone TV antenna-less roof! Haha

meaz93*
07-02-2019, 05:22 PM
Nope...never been "that guy"-lol, but hey!> perfect (planned ehh?) time to go satellite!! 22600

Laredo Tugger
07-02-2019, 05:25 PM
Pulled away from the office at a small campground in south FL the other day. As I moved forward I felt a slight "resistance". I remember seeing the branch in question before I moved forward. I stopped immediately and discovered light contact on the trailer side above the awning. Got it home after the trip and buffed a majority of the mark out.
Just had a funny feeling and I'm glad I gave in and stopped to check.
RMc

roadglide
07-02-2019, 05:33 PM
I had a very close miss near Gatlinburg last week while camping at Elkmont with GPS. Beatufull weather for riding motorcycle. By any chance did you scuff the roof traveling the dragons tail.

FlyingAroundRV
07-02-2019, 07:29 PM
Getn:
We jad that problem with our GPS too. In fact we call it "Dory" because it keeps wanting to go on "adventures" cross country. Then we discovered the problem. Instead of having the GPS set for the shortest route, we set it for the quickest route.
When the GPS was set for the shortest route it would send us down a side road half a mile before a turn from one major road onto another major road just to save what seemed to be 20 or 30 yards total travel.
Setting the GPS for quickest route isn't the whole solution but it improved things quite a bit. We also now get a second opinion from Google Maps just to keep Dory honest.

Getn off
07-02-2019, 07:46 PM
Funny. I actually used the "econ" rt or longer route thinking that it would be best. I get that the ford or google app lead me in there, but I paid extra for "Co-Pilot" to avoid this crap. What a waste.
About the last mile or so there was even a sign in someones driveway that said, "your GPS Lies!" Wife didnt even chuckle. Some strange phenomenon seemed to suck out all of the laughter in the cab.
Troy

FlyingAroundRV
07-02-2019, 10:27 PM
Funny. I actually used the "econ" rt or longer route thinking that it would be best. I get that the ford or google app lead me in there, but I paid extra for "Co-Pilot" to avoid this crap. What a waste.
About the last mile or so there was even a sign in someones driveway that said, "your GPS Lies!" Wife didnt even chuckle. Some strange phenomenon seemed to suck out all of the laughter in the cab.
Troy
Oh dear!:banghead:
Our first year with Dory, she took us up a road that was supposed to lead to the campground. We ended up at a gate that was the entrance to someone's property. In trying to turn around (in a rented class C) we got well and truly bogged, right up to the chassis. A guy a couple houses down the road from where we were, pulled us our with his 4WD. This was at 9:50pm and we needed to be at the CG by 10:00pm. After he pulled us out he asked why we came that way we told him the road was supposed to go through according to the GPS, which I "updated" the maps the day before. He said that he'd been living there for 25 years and the road never went through in his time, but he believed it did some time before then. So much for Garmin's map "updates".:banghead::banghead:

Harleydodge
07-03-2019, 01:35 AM
Getn:
We jad that problem with our GPS too. In fact we call it "Dory" because it keeps wanting to go on "adventures" cross country. Then we discovered the problem. Instead of having the GPS set for the shortest route, we set it for the quickest route.
When the GPS was set for the shortest route it would send us down a side road half a mile before a turn from one major road onto another major road just to save what seemed to be 20 or 30 yards total travel.
Setting the GPS for quickest route isn't the whole solution but it improved things quite a bit. We also now get a second opinion from Google Maps just to keep Dory honest.

Do you mean "Dory", the fish? or "Dora" the explorer?

That's funny right there.

I have a severe distrust for any GPS system, and usually have at least 2 running while traveling, after having triple checked my route with Google maps.
I also use an APP on my phone called "Sygic" that has a truck version. It's a paid app but I like it. You can now also plan a route in Google Maps and with a proper browser extension, send the route to the app on your phone (or tablet).

Northofu1
07-03-2019, 01:51 AM
In Cape Cod the GPS kept trying to send me the wrong way down a one way street, it was fun. luckily i went with instinct, pulled over and found the right route on google. I'm pretty sure google and garmin don't count trees as obstacles. I use Allstays to help with low bridges. Truck GPS has trailer and height settings. Good luck with satellite install, enjoy your beer :)

Scott902
07-03-2019, 03:30 AM
Passed a guy on the highway yesterday who had his up coming the other way. Hopefully was still there when he arrived at his destination.

As for me, closest I've come is pulling out of the site, and a man walking stopped me to tell me it was up. Crisis adverted.

FlyingAroundRV
07-03-2019, 04:17 AM
Do you mean "Dory", the fish? or "Dora" the explorer?

That's funny right there.

I have a severe distrust for any GPS system, and usually have at least 2 running while traveling, after having triple checked my route with Google maps.
I also use an APP on my phone called "Sygic" that has a truck version. It's a paid app but I like it. You can now also plan a route in Google Maps and with a proper browser extension, send the route to the app on your phone (or tablet).
Defintely Dory the fish, just as dopey and seems to have the mind of a goldfish. Sort of like "Hey let's turn down this little road here. That looks interesting." "No Dory, we're trying to get to xyz."

sourdough
07-03-2019, 07:24 AM
I think I've posted about it before but I have a severe distrust of any of the nav applications. I've had several nav units and every one of them have left me in a lurch at one time or another. The 1st was a GM factory unit in a Hummer that left me staring at what seemed like a dozen lanes of traffic coming straight at me because it routed me into a one way street.

My 1st Toyota nav tried to route me on a highway that was....under water, and had been for years since they had impounded the lake. Tom Tom, Magellan, Ram/Uconnect....all have problems from time to time. I will say the Ram has been the most accurate of all of them.

When I leave now I have the nav in the truck, Google with DW and I print out the routes from Google maps as a fall back....then there's the old atlas behind my seat. Talked to way too many folks that ended up out in the middle of nowhere trying to follow the gps. Sort of like the folks coming up our road at our mountain vacation home; it happens ALL the time. A narrow winding gravel road with overhanging trees and obviously a drive - with a dead end. They always end up backing back down the road and trying to turn around in front of the house. I always go down and intercept them and ask what prompted them to come down the road and end up in front of my house. The answer? GPS said to come this way! I say "really"? "After you've passed 4 signs that tell you no trespassing, dead end and keep out - and you think GPS takes precedence over that"?

I figure you just have to keep your common sense with you when using those devices because none of them are smarter than a human brain.

JRTJH
07-03-2019, 07:38 AM
You mean that not everyone drives off the end of the boat launch because the GPS says "that's the road to the other boat launch" on the other side of the lake???????

Hmmmmmm

We've had our share of "mis-routes" with every GPS we've ever owned. Right now, Garmin AND Ford's GPS try to route us down a "jeep trail" on a highway near our house to get to I-75. We bought our first cabin in this area in the 80's and every GPS we've owned has "wanted to take that jeep trail" to get to the interstate. I can't say when, or if ever, there was a road through that part of the swamp, but I can say that the "old geezers" who live around here, some much older than me (and I'm now an old geezer too) not a single one of them has ever known of a road "through that swamp to the interstate".... But all those "electronic guessers" use a satellite to guide them through the swamp, I guess.....

We learned years ago, that the old "folding paper maps" are free at every "rest area information center" so we stop as we cross the state line and get a "backup paper map".... It's saved our butts more than once when "mr (or miss) Garmin has got us "down the yellow brick road" with no way back to the rabbit hole........

frankyb01
07-03-2019, 07:48 AM
I'm probably showing my age hear, but, I still prefer having a paper map in my hands, especially for route planning. I only like the GPS for the moving map that allows me to see how streets and roads are around where I currently am, but for relying on it for route planning? NOT IN THIS LIFE, lol. I was actually broadsided at an intersection surrounded by corn fields by a woman who didn't see the stop sign because she was watching her GPS, which was routing her down a narrow country road instead of keeping her on the highway where she should have been. The highway was less than a 1/4 mile away and parallel to the road she was on.
As far as being that guy, I didn't do my mandatory final walk-a-round one evening and pulled out of a parking lot with the entry steps still out. Didn't notice it in the mirror since it was after dark and promptly mangled them against a concrete curve.:banghead:

travelin texans
07-03-2019, 07:58 AM
Pic of campground from a Keystone TV antenna-less roof! Haha

From this photo of that campsite a mounted satellite tv system probably wouldn't help much unless you were lucky enough to catch a gap in the trees in the right direction, otherwise hope the radio works.

JRTJH
07-03-2019, 09:16 AM
From this photo of that campsite a mounted satellite tv system probably wouldn't help much unless you were lucky enough to catch a gap in the trees in the right direction, otherwise hope the radio works.

I was thinking the same thing. Unless that photo was "pointing north" and behind the OP's "antenna-less RV" was tree-less, there's not much chance that he'll be "viewing satellite TV with a rooftop system".... At least, not with my luck at getting a "clear view of the southern sky".....

MattE303
07-03-2019, 10:20 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Unless that photo was "pointing north" and behind the OP's "antenna-less RV" was tree-less, there's not much chance that he'll be "viewing satellite TV with a rooftop system".... At least, not with my luck at getting a "clear view of the southern sky".....
This is one of the reasons I opted for a portable dish (Winegard Pathway X2) rather than a roof mount. Takes a bit more effort to setup, but gives me the option of putting the dish anywhere within 50 feet or so of the RV to get a clear shot at the arc.

Pull Toy
07-03-2019, 01:57 PM
"WHEN POSSIBLE... MAKE LEGAL U TURN" !

Yeah right! I'm close to 60 feet long, with a hinge in the middle! LOL

As far as the antenna problem goes... Many years ago I learned to hang a large red ribbon by the exit door when the antenna is up. I learned this trick from a Class A friend who hung it from his cockpit rear view mirror, as a reminder.

It is an excellent way to remember. To double down, you can also hang one from the antenna crank. Cheap insurance!

Good Luck,

sourdough
07-03-2019, 02:12 PM
"WHEN POSSIBLE... MAKE LEGAL U TURN" !

Haaaaa!! I love it! That thing used to get so annoying! Now DW and I just sit and count how many times it can possibly repeat itself before it decides that, no, he's not going to make that "legal U turn". :lol:

SummitPond
07-03-2019, 02:15 PM
This is one of the reasons I opted for a portable dish ...

The picture below shows a neighbor's dish after being used as a perch - the arrows point out the bear's claw marks. We were camping in Hog Valley near the Ocala National Forest; the next time we returned to that campground warnings were posted and the trash dumpsters were locked down at sunset. Who knows what the bear was looking for; the owner figures the bear got on top of the dish to get a better view.

Getn off
07-03-2019, 03:05 PM
Haha summit, we stayed in Ocala a few months ago and parked right next to that guy. I have the same pic!
As for remembering to lower the antenna, it is a fixed auto antenna...er,
Was!
And yes, I use the trucks gps, which works very well, but does not let me add length or height to the gps to avoid such roads. That is why I researched and purchased the best reviewed gps app that is supposed to prevent this lil mishap. Not so much I guess.
I agree that a satellite in this campground prolly wouldnt be ideal, but this is the most wooded one we have stayed in so far.
We drove back down that road today in the truck...guess what we found? Lol! Yep, I found it!
Talked to a bunch of campers that had the same story on that road. All the warnings were at the end of the road, not the helpfull beginning portion! We were pot commited by the time we discovered it was so bad.
Oh well!
Troy
And yes, I am enjoying my beer(s)! Ty

Getn off
07-03-2019, 03:06 PM
Annnd the sign which is at the very end...almost as a joke!
Troy

CaptnJohn
07-06-2019, 03:33 PM
Neighbor told me yesterday Google sent him 1 1/2 miles down a narrow road to a 12'8" tall bridge. It would have been ok if was not pulling a 13'4" 5er.
Cop asked if he used Google with a smile. He said they try to go down that road 6 times each shift during daylight. Cops turn lights on and you get to back up while they run interference. They do not go down after dark as no way you are backing out then.

Getn off
07-06-2019, 03:49 PM
That would suck...and was what I was honestly expecting there!
I have no problem with maps/google maps/oem/etc. leading you down these types of roads at. All. My problem lies with a purchased app that lets you put in ur specific rig's dimensions so this wont happen. At the very least, the app (co-pilot) should have warned me when the road said no trucks over 10 tons...which was also about halfway down my exursion. I have mine set to 24k btw.
Troy

CaptnJohn
07-06-2019, 07:01 PM
I've had the best luck with Garmin rv GPS. It has only screwed up twice in many thousands of miles. After Google and a truck nav system tried to send me down a dirt road it did too. Before it had a chance to say "U turn in 1/2 mile" I saw a left could actually be made where I wanted to go.
Looking forward to purchasing the new model 785 before I start fall travels.

JRTJH
07-07-2019, 06:37 AM
.... At the very least, the app (co-pilot) should have warned me when the road said no trucks over 10 tons...which was also about halfway down my exursion. I have mine set to 24k btw.
Troy

Not to be critical, but to point out a possible issue to explain your "misadventure down a narrow road".... You said you wound up on a road with a 20,000 pound limit (10 tons) and have your system set for 24,000 pounds (12 tons) as the "don't go over this" limit.... That may explain why your Co-pilot routed you down that road, it was under the limit you set and the system thought it was OK based on settings ??????......

Getn off
07-07-2019, 07:10 PM
No, I welcome any insite!
I really dont think so. In the app you set your specific length, height, and weight. You dont tell it to avoid roads over a certain weight...unless the app is doing it wrong of course.
Troy

{tpc}
07-08-2019, 04:32 AM
The campground we just stayed at (koa) said right on the website NOT to use GPS to get there otherwise you will end up in the forest lol. And even on the recommended path, there is a big sign at a turn that says don't use the gps, because it drops you off at someones house down the road and the campground is another 1/2 mile or so away further down.

The ford gps is pretty good, but still couldn't properly navigate this one. My wife always has google maps running as well anyways.

The nav in the old tahoe (2007) was terrible. So bad that I never even had it up. I think once we tried to use it to go to MIS and ended up on the backside of the track and it made for a longer drive. It was hard to use though. The navigation in my avenger that I had before the tahoe was slightly better but still not good. They have made progress in the last 10 years or so, as the ford one is typically worth using.

Getn off
07-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Yea, I have seen campgrounds say not to follow GPSs on their web sites too. Did not see it on the current one however. Would really think that a paid gps app would have most of these issues worked out. Guess the joke is on me...the one that actually paid hard earned monies on a promise.
Again, I really have no issues with normal "car" GPSs doing this, or being incorrect...but a paid app that says it is nearly perfect? A lesson learned for sure.
Troy

newemptynester
07-11-2019, 07:31 AM
I am the person assigned to making sure the antenna is down. Ever since we have owned one it has been my job to make sure it is up and then down. I have stopped many campers on their way out to tell them that their antenna is up.

As far as maps go - I will go online and print it before we go.

LaTundra
07-11-2019, 07:35 AM
I have the same problem with GPS. Apparently, the software was written by some kid on a 4wheeler. No, I don't want to take the back roads because it's shorter.
I have since upgraded to a Garmin RV 660. You key in your camper length, width and height, and it avoids sharp turns and lower under passes.

msubobcats
07-11-2019, 08:25 AM
We were staying at the Colusa County fairgrounds ( northern California) and headed to Vacaville. I assumed (we may know where this is going) that when I lowered the antennae it was locked into the slot. Now you all see why I put in ASSUMED. Always wondered where on interstate 5 or hiway 505 the antennae lost its battle with the wind😢😢😂😂. Now I go up to the roof and double check.

rshipyor
07-11-2019, 08:39 AM
Don’t feel bad was in a parking lot next to a old fashion drive in restaurant and watched a guy rip his rooftop ac off while pulling out shook the whole building.

Preyou
07-11-2019, 09:53 AM
Got back from having warranty work and decided to was time to wash "Stormy" Got on the roof and saw the base of the antenna with 2 wires hanging out. Contacted the dealer and they knew nothing. Commented that it probably blew off in the travels although they agreed to install the new one I bought for free. In the future I will checkout all equipment when I get home and before and after service visits.

CarmieJo
07-11-2019, 09:57 AM
A couple years ago on the way home from Myrtle Beach Waze sent us down a country road where a bridge was out. It was obvious it had been under construction for some time. This was 3 weeks after Hurricane Matthew and there were lots of roads still closed due to flooding an so it seemed reasonable when we turned on the road. We backed up a half mile with me walking behind the trailer because everyone's GPS was sending them down this road. Good citizen that I am I turned them all around where I met them. Oh yeah, did I mention this was in the rain.

apachewolf
07-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Yep. I am officially THAT GUY! Lol
On a 2 week trip from Orlando thru Savannah to Gatlinburg. Using Ford GPS, but bought a Co-pilot as a backup so I dont get caught in undesirable locations! Wasted that damn $40! Both sent me on a journey the last 10 miles on a road that rivaled the Tail of the Dragon....seriously! I was lucky that I came across no low bridges. Power lines were sketchy, but obviously high enough. Tree limbs...nope. Watches my tv antenna roll off the back with some tree branches. Was going very slow, maybe 15.
Nothing that a few hundred bucks and even more beer (to numb my pride) wont cure!
So, how many of you have been in my shoes? All? None? Lol
Wife has been wanting satellite, so mabe this is a good excuse to put one in the tv antenna location?! Is that feasable? 2k or so installed?
I guess it could have been worse...both AC units are fine! On no rips on the roof!
I need more beer...
Troy
Btw, Gatlinburg South KOA is very nice!

Never ripped off the antenna. But got tired of setting up the sat disk and bought a combo of a sat receiver and the Winegard Pathfinder X1. (About $ 500.00). They are now much cheaper. The Pathfinder finds the sat by itself and you can place it where you want, on the ground, on a table, on the roof almost anywhere. It does only work with DISH NETWORK thou. But in MHO it is well worth the money. Just plug it in, turn it on and tell it where you are.

Happy Camping.

LV_Tom
07-11-2019, 12:32 PM
1. I normally use my portable dish, but sometimes I'll put the over air antenna up. Never forgot to put my antenna down. Here's a tip an RVer showed me and I've used it ever since. When I do put up the antenna I put a Large ladies Plastic Hair clip on the my trucks steering wheel or on the trailer entry grab bar as reminder the antenna is up.

2. In setting my destinations on my Good Sams GPS I set the coordinates manually from this website getlatlong.net You enter the town or street address. It shows a satellite picture of your destination and then you can specifically move the cursor to the entry gate of a campground. You then enter the GPS Coordinates into your unit. It has only failed me twice... Only because I made two bad coordinate entries. Like they say "Garbage In, Garbage out" I've been careful to double check my entries ever since I ended up in the town dump in Van Horn, Texas. :facepalm:

3. In having a portable dish over just a rooftop sat dish. I parked next to a brand new multi million dollar Newell Coach two years ago who was using his portable dish for reception. He told me that his $15,000 worth of rooftop antennas end up behind a tree about 30% of the time, hence the simple portable.

2011 Cougar 27'RLSWE TT
2017 F-250 Crew Cab 6.2L Gas

jimborokz
07-11-2019, 03:05 PM
early on I was leaving the CG one morning from an overnight and as I made a left turn happened to look out the window and saw the shadow of my antenna sticking up. Stopped went inside and lowered it. That close call taught me to put a ribbon on the steering wheel. I now have a digital antenna that just rotates.

Getn off
07-12-2019, 05:38 PM
A ribbon or such is a great idea...but wont help my situation as it doesnt raise/lower - it is staionary and auto tune.
The Co Pilot gps app is supposed to take into acount length, height, width, and weight. Guess not so much! Would go back to paper maps, but I have never seen one that gives every overpass height, and weight restricted bridges/roads and such.
Sounds like there really isnt a cure all fix for this. I wonder if the truckers app version would be any better?
Troy

travelin texans
07-12-2019, 08:12 PM
A ribbon or such is a great idea...but wont help my situation as it doesnt raise/lower - it is staionary and auto tune.
The Co Pilot gps app is supposed to take into acount length, height, width, and weight. Guess not so much! Would go back to paper maps, but I have never seen one that gives every overpass height, and weight restricted bridges/roads and such.
Sounds like there really isnt a cure all fix for this. I wonder if the truckers app version would be any better?
Troy

Buy yourself a Motor Carriers Atlas, it is highlighted for truck routes, so if a truck can go so can you, with a list by state of low clearances.

Getn off
07-13-2019, 06:44 PM
I will hunt one down Danny, thx.
Troy

PaulRod
07-13-2019, 09:01 PM
Oh yes the GPS will give you fits. But I see that you are thinking of satellite TV. Well slow down on that. You might want to do some research before you plunk down your cash. I don't have a suggestion for you but it seems satellite may be old school. We just traded our class A that had in motion DirecTV. We bought a Cougar TT. We had to leave the dish behind. My DW rigged something up with her phone and a Verizon hot spot. I just tell her what I want to watch and she gets it. I don't even want to know how it works. Plus DirecTV went up in price.

Getn off
07-14-2019, 06:06 PM
Sounds like something similar to what we are currently using mainly, Roku. We can use it to access our Netflix and Prime. We can also access or cable company channels, but forgot my login this trip! We are not very techi, so we like the sat idea more than we should I know. Def cheaper than sat, but wife does watch a lot of TV. And we need to make sure she is happy!
Thx,
Troy

jimborokz
07-14-2019, 06:25 PM
Sounds like something similar to what we are currently using mainly, Roku. We can use it to access our Netflix and Prime. We can also access or cable company channels, but forgot my login this trip! We are not very techi, so we like the sat idea more than we should I know. Def cheaper than sat, but wife does watch a lot of TV. And we need to make sure she is happy!
Thx,
Troy

We quit using the Sat because the cable in the RV is too troublesome. Too many splitters. We also cut the cable at our S&B and now we only stream Netflix and Prime. Direct TV has a streaming service with 65 channels and it's all the ones we watch not 800 that we never watch. It's $50/mo as oppose to the $160 we were paying for Direct Sat at home. Check out Direct TV Now. Also I think Xfinity has a similar offering. Cable and Satellite are past tense now. Internet streaming is the way to go. Many services to choose from.

Getn off
07-15-2019, 05:51 PM
Ty Jim. I will have a look into that.
Troy