PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC bypass

Neald
07-01-2019, 11:39 AM
Anyone driven the DC bypass lately?? Going north and not sure if I should go east or west around DC with my 40 footer

hankpage
07-01-2019, 01:13 PM
I go west towards Towsen MD. Going east seems longer and has a long steep climb. I also find going through that area on the weekend or at night works better for me. JM2¢, Hank

Cbrez
07-01-2019, 03:43 PM
I bypass DC by taking RT13 up the eastern shore of Virginia until the junction with I95 just south of Wilmington, DE. I wouldn’t want to tow the RV around the beltway unless perhaps at 2am as Hank suggests.

K_N_L
07-01-2019, 04:21 PM
We stay to Cherry Hill Campground in College Park, MD once or twice a year and go the eastern outer loop of 495 (coming up 95 North) to get there. The roads arent bad but the traffic is stupid, insane, and the drivers are a$$#*. There is always a back up somewhere and yet folks accept it as a daily thing. If you can pass through in the middle of the day or late at night its not too bad typically.

linux3
07-02-2019, 05:09 AM
If you don't mind me asking, where are you going from and to?
I live in Western NY and for many years have traveled to many Southern places.
I really try to avoid DC all together.
Once a year in November we take the AutoTrain to Kissimmee (no TT). The train starts in Lorton VA and I take US 15 (I-99) through Frederick MD, Chantilly VA and in the back way.
The Beltway is forever under construction and the traffic is just plain nuts.

SummitPond
07-02-2019, 06:23 AM
We camped in Haymarket last year during our visit to DC and upon leaving took US-15 to I-81 before heading further north. From what I recall there wasn't much traffic and the scenery was pleasant.