PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be Passport gt 2950 bhwe owners in the PNW

Polarbill1999
06-30-2019, 11:37 AM
Hi all,

My wife and two young kids are set to do a test tow, pdi and sign papers on Tuesday. After spending a few weekends looking at trailers at different dealers in our area we decided the 2950bhwe was the trailer for us. We started out thinking a 24 bunkhouse would be what we wanted but we really liked the additional storage and extra seating of the 26-29 foot models. We really loved the colors, features, layouts and weight of the new passport gt models. We were torn between the 2600, 2820 and 2950. In the end, what sealed it for us was a few features the 2950 had the other 2 didn't, the dealer we wanted to buy from is 7 miles from our house and the pricing seemed really good. (got a 2019 2950 for 750 less then another dealer would sell a 2020 2600).

We will be towing with a 2012 f150 screw fx4 with 3.73 gears and 5.0. I will try to upload a picture.

If we can get the paperwork signed by Tuesday evening we will leave on our first shakedown trip for the 4th. We will be heading to my parents for a few days of golf, salmon fishing and crabbing.

I do have some questions and will create another post. I look forward to becoming an rver and learning from the community here.

Brett

chuckster57
06-30-2019, 02:42 PM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new purchase. Lots of good people and loads of great information here. Ask away!!!

Hankster
07-01-2019, 04:45 AM
Looks great, hope you have a fun and uneventful trip.
Make sure you get your hitch set up properly. I had to completely redo ours after getting home. The young fellow meant well, but really had no idea how to properly install, and set it up.
If you can find out which brand and model you'll be getting, and print off the installation instructions ahead of time.

newemptynester
07-01-2019, 05:34 AM
Good Luck on your maiden voyage. I hope you have a wonderful 4th and start making all the camping memories.

KSH
07-01-2019, 07:05 AM
There is a pdi checklist on this site somewhere, consider taking it with you.

dabbill
07-01-2019, 07:20 AM
Congratulations. Before you tow it any amount of distance. Read / Watch YouTube on how to setup your hitch. Most likely it will not be setup correctly. My trailer was ~2" nose high, and not nearly enough tension on the WDH.

Polarbill1999
07-01-2019, 07:56 PM
Thanks all. I almost forgot about printing out a pdi checklist. I am getting an equalizer 10k. I am doing a test tow and having them set it up. I will definitely look up the instructions on setting up and making sure we at least get close. Is a easy way to tell to measure to the top of the front wheel well, then try and get it back down close to that after install and wdh setup?

I did have a quick question. How necessary are extended towing mirrors on an f150 like mine with the standard mirrors?

Northofu1
07-02-2019, 01:19 AM
:wlcm: from Toronto
Good luck with maiden voyage
take the time to ask questions, poke and prod, don't rush. :)
Here's the link for PDI checklist http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavistas/RV_checklists/PDI_V113_2.pdf
Any info you need to find in here google it and add keystone forums, that's how I do it,
(Thanks Jim)

Northofu1
07-02-2019, 01:23 AM
Thanks all. I almost forgot about printing out a pdi checklist. I am getting an equalizer 10k. I am doing a test tow and having them set it up. I will definitely look up the instructions on setting up and making sure we at least get close. Is a easy way to tell to measure to the top of the front wheel well, then try and get it back down close to that after install and wdh setup?

I did have a quick question. How necessary are extended towing mirrors on an f150 like mine with the standard mirrors?

Measure the height of both wheel wells before and after, use a level to ensure trailer is level after set up
I bought and love the CIPA slip ons, look on amazon. They are truck model specific.

Polarbill1999
07-02-2019, 04:15 AM
Thank you north. Gotta love Amazon (sometimes). Found them for under $40 with free same day delivery.

sourdough
07-02-2019, 06:28 AM

I haven't had an F150 in several years, but when I did the factory mirrors were not very good for towing - nor Ram 1500 without the towing mirror option. They may seem like they are "adequate" but once you tow with mirrors that let you see behind you....well, there's not much comparison. I would get the extensions.

dabbill
07-02-2019, 06:57 AM

The full process for WDH setup is.

1. Measure front wheel well height
2. Put trailer on hitch with no out the weight bars hooked up
3. Measure front wheel well height again
4. Put weight bars on
5. Measure front wheel well.

Your goal is to get at least 50% way back to height with no trailer hooked up, but aiming for same height with or with out trailer hooked up.

Ex.
38" - no trailer
40" - trailer with no weight bars
38.5" - trailer with weight bars hooked up.

Here are the mirrors I would recommend. I bought a pair for my Expedition.

https://www.1aauto.com/2012-ford-f150-truck-side-view-mirrors/y-mo-c/2012-1521-23

Polarbill1999
07-02-2019, 07:12 PM
Tows real nice although I will admit the truck looks like a micro machine. I think I can still do some tweaks on the wdh to dial it in but it tracked well, stopped good and I felt comfortable driving it.

Gegrad
07-02-2019, 08:22 PM
Good looking rig! Welcome from Pennesylvania.

Northofu1
07-03-2019, 02:14 AM
Nice!
First upgrade should be https://www.amazon.ca/Progressive-Industries-HW30C-Electrical-Management/dp/B002UC6RSA/ref=asc_df_B002UC6RSA/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292996100541&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16067054821526080883&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000795&hvtargid=pla-385426193275&psc=1

Protect that nice trailer.
Think hard about the colour choice for the Maxxair vent covers, smoke or white hmmmmm.
Enjoy :)

dabbill
07-03-2019, 05:30 AM
Tows real nice although I will admit the truck looks like a micro machine. I think I can still do some tweaks on the wdh to dial it in but it tracked well, stopped good and I felt comfortable driving it.

Good looking setup you got there. If yours looks like a micro machine, I am not sure what mine looks like. :eek:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38418

Polarbill1999
07-03-2019, 07:00 AM
North, we had them include a surge protector but it looks like it is a pretty inexpensive one. https://www.campingworld.com/30-amp-portable-surge-guard-with-ground-fault-protection-74402.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpPHoBRC3ARIsALfx-_IfOzfTTkiEUoZ9MyAXW3-uW5tM9zPpfoWKRzlNcu7C7ssx1VdpnigaAscvEALw_wcB

Should we swap that out for something better? I don't know if we will hardwire one but is something like this an upgrade over that basic one? https://www.campingworld.com/ssp-30xl-30-amp-smart-surge-protector-102486.html?cgid=surge-protection#start=1&cgid=surge-protection

Polarbill1999
07-03-2019, 09:40 PM
Might have taken 5 hours to go 100 miles but thing went well and we got settled in.

Northofu1
07-04-2019, 06:42 AM
North, we had them include a surge protector but it looks like it is a pretty inexpensive one. https://www.campingworld.com/30-amp-portable-surge-guard-with-ground-fault-protection-74402.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpPHoBRC3ARIsALfx-_IfOzfTTkiEUoZ9MyAXW3-uW5tM9zPpfoWKRzlNcu7C7ssx1VdpnigaAscvEALw_wcB

Should we swap that out for something better? I don't know if we will hardwire one but is something like this an upgrade over that basic one? https://www.campingworld.com/ssp-30xl-30-amp-smart-surge-protector-102486.html?cgid=surge-protection#start=1&cgid=surge-protection

I would go with the hard wired, I know it seems like a hassle and expense, but when the portable blows, or you forget it at a campground, you will know why. Keep your eyes on Amazon, put it on a wish list, they will tell you when it drops in price ;)
Rig and set up looks great, hope your time is awesome with the kids. :)
Dan

AnJ
07-07-2019, 07:46 AM
We picked up our '19 Passport GT 2820BH in April and we couldn't be happier. We have the Equalizer 10 k 4 way hitch as well. Once dialed in it tows great. I think the spread axles help alot. I immediately installed a Progressive Industries hardwired surge protector. It has the remote monitor that has already proven valuable. While camping a few weeks ago we identified a low voltage situation on our site. The unit shut down power and protected the AC and other appliances. I showed the campground owner the low voltage and it was repaired same day. Here is the protector we installed( https://www.campingworld.com/30-amp-surge-protector-with-voltage-protection-56419.html#q=30-Amp%2BSurge%2BProtector%2BWith%2BVoltage%2BProtect ion&lang=default&start=2 ) Good luck and great choice.

pdaniel
07-07-2019, 08:13 AM
Ram 3500 mirrors are almost marginal when towing a Grand Design Solitude-somewhat wider than my former Cougar...

fjr1300
07-07-2019, 07:40 PM
The surge protector supplied with your TT will only protect against surges, it will not protect against high/low voltage, reverse polarity, open neutral, open ground, etc.

Should we swap that out for something better? I don't know if we will hardwire one but is something like this an upgrade over that basic one? https://www.campingworld.com/ssp-30x...rge-protection

The upgraded surge protector you mention will only protect against surges but no other electrical problems. The LEDs will tell you if there is a problem but the device will not protect your TT from the problem.

I'd recommend you get an EMS such as this one
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt30x
There is a hardwired version also.

It is more expensive but the EMS will disconnect or prevent power from reaching the TT if there is an electrical problem with the supply and will better protect your electronics and electrical equipment such as the AC.

Have fun camping with your new setup.

travelin texans
07-07-2019, 08:23 PM
I've used the portable 50 amp PI surge protector/ems since 2005 on 3 different 5ers, it never sprouted legs & walked away & it's big enough that it's very difficult to miss when unplugging your shore cord, plus don't have buy another when you trade rvs.
I never separated it from the shore cord so wasn't a problem forgetting to plug/unplug it.

jimborokz
07-09-2019, 02:03 AM
This thread and pictures brings back memories of when our kids were younger and at home. Not just that week at the campground, but the week of preparation that leads up to it. What a great holiday adventure. These times will live with you throughout life and always be a blessing.
Congrats on the new rig but more so on the family time.

Polarbill1999
07-10-2019, 04:18 PM
Thanks all for the tips and taking the time to post. It is much appreciated.

NH_Bulldog
07-10-2019, 04:39 PM
We towed a few times with the standard mirrors but it was an accident waiting to happen. Just before our recent extended vacation around the Great Lakes, I installed a set of telescoping tow mirrors and they are great!