PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a hole advice

eterry
06-28-2019, 07:51 AM
I recently purchased a mobility scooter hauler from Versahaul and mounted it to the back receiver on mt 2019 32RLI. We encountered a couple of bumpy roads on our way to Yarmouth NS. When we arrived we discovered that the ramp had pivoted enough to poke a couple of holes in the rear wall of the TT. I had an estimate from the dealer and couldn't sit down for a whole day. I would like to attempt repairs myself.

Anyone ever attempted this? I assume it's a fiberglass repair. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Maritime Ed

Northofu1
06-28-2019, 07:54 AM
I would get a second opinion from an automotive body shop.

travelin texans
06-28-2019, 09:11 AM
Might check into putting a piece of diamond plate aluminum across the back which will also prevent this in the future.

66joej
06-28-2019, 09:41 AM
Might check into putting a piece of diamond plate aluminum across the back which will also prevent this in the future.

Second Danny's suggestion re: diamond plate. Would be far cheaper and no more worries. Just fill the holes with a suitable waterproof filler and leave them.

JRTJH
06-28-2019, 10:36 AM
I'd not worry about a body shop and the hundreds/thousands of dollars for a "professional repair"...

Buy a $7 plastic louvered vent (available in black, white or most any color), fill the hole with either JB Weld or sealant of your choice and install the vent over the repair. It'll look like a battery vent, just like the ones on battery compartments on every fifth wheel. You know, the vent that none of us even notice and most can't tell you whether they have one or not.....

Number 4
06-28-2019, 11:27 AM
I'd not worry about a body shop and the hundreds/thousands of dollars for a "professional repair"...

Buy a $7 plastic louvered vent (available in black, white or most any color), fill the hole with either JB Weld or sealant of your choice and install the vent over the repair. It'll look like a battery vent, just like the ones on battery compartments on every fifth wheel. You know, the vent that none of us even notice and most can't tell you whether they have one or not.....

Brilliant John! :bow: What a perfect low cost fix! I'm filing this solution in the old gray matter for potential future use.

CaptnJohn
06-28-2019, 05:30 PM
If you feel it has to be repaired try a mobile boat fiberglass repair person. You would never know it was there.

Customer1
06-28-2019, 05:40 PM
If not a fake vent, fill and put a sticker over the repair. Camping club or some other sticker.

Old Mustanger
06-28-2019, 07:23 PM
How about a forum member sticker?