PDA

View Full Version : Cougar or Jayco?

Sparkz
06-25-2019, 08:13 AM
I am in the market for a double bunk 5er and I've narrowed it down to either a Cougar HT 29RDB or a Jayco 29.5 BHDS.

On paper they are very similar in both specs and price, but I'm curious if anyone has owned either, or both, and what opinions are.

Is there a significant difference in quality and/or service or is it primarily a brand loyalty/preference kind of thing?

I have a RAM 2500HD with factory prep for the hitch so I'm ready to go, once I make up my mind.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

kfxgreenie
06-25-2019, 10:25 AM
I am in the market for a double bunk 5er and I've narrowed it down to either a Cougar HT 29RDB or a Jayco 29.5 BHDS.

On paper they are very similar in both specs and price, but I'm curious if anyone has owned either, or both, and what opinions are.

Is there a significant difference in quality and/or service or is it primarily a brand loyalty/preference kind of thing?

I have a RAM 2500HD with factory prep for the hitch so I'm ready to go, once I make up my mind.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Brand doesn't mean nearly as much as the dealer for most folks. The dealer is the one who you will be looking in the face if a problem arises. The dealer will determine how fast your RV gets repaired in the event of warranty work or work there after. If you are the do it yourself-er and don't want to see the dealer again, then it doesn't really matter. If you need support down the road, the dealer is the relationship that will be most beneficial to you.

GeekSquadOfUn
06-25-2019, 10:31 AM
Both Cougar and Jayco are owned by the same conglomerate, Thor Industries. Same pocket.

jsb5717
06-25-2019, 11:14 AM
Both are good brands. If you do your homework you'll find that both have people that love them and others that hate them. It's all about your own experience and, as has been said, the dealer or repair facility you work with for warranty repair.

When I was looking I found, for me, that Keystone tended to rise above the others in our budget. We looked at both Cougar and Monatana HC. We got the one that checked the most boxes for the best price.

Through your research you may develop a sense about one over the other. If not then pick the one you like best, go camping, and have fun making memories