PDA

View Full Version : New here, and have an issue I need help with

tweetzone86
06-24-2019, 03:32 PM
Hello all!

My husband and I finally joined the rv world and purchased a 2019 Keystone Hideout 26lhswe on June 11th, 2019.

So...we are living in it on our property while we build our house. Summers can reach triple digits even this far north, and we had a great first week. Then...

We bought a honda EU3000is generator, and like I said the first week was beautiful. We were able to run our ac, fridge (on battery I think, though the auto light was on and is now off-more in a minute), electronics (laptop, tablet, charge phones-didn't get a tv for this rv). Water pump, etc.

Well, fast forward a week. We only use non-ethanol gasoline in the generator. We've been getting 15 hours solid running the ac full time (and again, being able to use other things too).

Now, the ac runs for a little bit, but the generator keeps turning off. It does the overload, then shuts off completely. I've even popped the breaker on the converter, turned off everything in the rv, unplugged, everything, etc and it's still doing it.

I can't figure out if it is a problem with my ac, the rv, or the generator. This is a $2,300 generator it should not be crapping out after one week. And this is a brand new rv that worked like a dream the first week-in theory, it should not be causing an issue either.

So does anyone have any ideas as to WHY the ac keeps overloading the generator? I didn't think it drew more power than the generator, and like I said, everything worked just fine the first week.

Completely baffled, high temps are coming, and we NEED this to work so we can stop running out to turn the generator back on multiple times a day.

(Also, the eco throttle is off, the choke is completely into the generator, the ac fan is on low (we aren't even attempting high fan), the oil and gas are full, etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I gotta figure out which one is busted/not working so I can take it to the repair shop. This is absurd that after one week we're already having power issues :ermm:

KeithInUpstateNY
06-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Some questions that might help troubleshoot:

Do you have the standard 30 amp service with a single AC unit or the optional 50 amp service with a second AC?

Is your AC unit 13500 BTUs or 15000?

The refrigerator is either AC or propane. In the AUTO mode it automatically switches to electric mode when it is available. Have you tried switching it to manually to propane only?

Wyldfire
06-24-2019, 03:48 PM
Need to reduce power consumption. I would start by turning fridge to propane only. Also running AC on hi only makes it more efficient and less likely to freeze up compressor. If your fridge and AC compressors both start to cycle up at same time you are having to great of request for power.

Logan X
06-24-2019, 03:49 PM
Are you trying to run other big appliances like the water heater on electric or the microwave at the same time?

KeithInUpstateNY
06-24-2019, 03:53 PM
Are you trying to run other big appliances like the water heater on electric or the microwave at the same time?I forgot ask about the water heater. Also, the charger/controller for your battery or batteries draws a lot of power when it is recharging them.

sourdough
06-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Your generator will only put out about 23A continuously. Your AC will draw maybe 16A when the compressor kicks in (that's for one). It's possible you've been drawing too much for all the "other" things and caused an issue. If you've ran the AC continuously for an extended period trying to run on low current/voltage you may have damaged the compressor - sort of like trying to run it during a "brown out".

As others have said, HWH needs to be on propane, don't use items like hair dryers/curlers or other hi draw items with the AC on.

Wyldfire
06-24-2019, 03:59 PM
The 3000 generator is pretty much maxed out starting the air conditioner compressor. It will not be able to handle a second large power call so water heater, coffee pot,I microwave, hair dryer, fridge are all no goes when AC is running.

Harleydodge
06-24-2019, 04:10 PM
Just a guess here (and I know you said the oil level is fine) but is the low oil light coming on just before the Genny quits? You would almost need to watch the generator constantly until it quits to actually know.
Also, make sure the generator is sitting on a level surface.

We have an older EU2000 that is VERY sensitive to oil level, and will do as you describe if it's not completely full of oil and fairly level.

I would almost suspect a faulty level indicator if all the above checks out.
Is it possible for you to borrow, or try a different generator to see if your issue persists?

KeithInUpstateNY
06-24-2019, 04:28 PM
On the generator end, you said you've been getting 15 hours solid with the AC on. Did you do the required oil change at 20 hours and every hundred hours after that and the other maintenance per the manual?

I keep a spread sheet and log the start and stop time of my generator every day so I know when maintenance is due

busterbrown
06-24-2019, 08:58 PM
That Honda is a very nice (albeit expensive) generaor. But it also may be underpowered for your extreme application. The AC power draw from the RV is the biggest hog on the system and will continue to be as the summer heat rages on. Concurrent use of other appliances will trip the generator often, depending on if the AC compressor is cycling. I owned a 3100 Champion and tested it last year. It worked well with the 15K BTU Dometic rooftop unit but with no other load. Once another electrical source was introduced, the generator would trip often.

As we had a big trip coming up in the spring, I knew I didn't want to deal with overload issues in the southwest. So, I sold the Champion and bought a 4500 peak watt Westinghouse Inverter generator that is able to run almost anything we throw at it. Using the microwave, AC, refrigerator, converter, TVs as well as all our personal electronics never incurred an overload event for the three weeks we used it in the desert. The best part of this generator is its massive 3.4 gallon fuel tank and wireless remote start.

You may want to "invest" in a larger generator. That Honda will hold its value nicely so you won't take a big hit.

Roscommon48
06-25-2019, 03:04 AM
YOU ARE UNDERPOWERED IF YOU ARE RUNNING EVERYTHING ELECTRIC ON THE GEN! but, check your oil level.

either get a larger generator or purchase a 2nd 3000watt and parallel it if you want to the above.

tweetzone86
06-25-2019, 02:34 PM
Just a guess here (and I know you said the oil level is fine) but is the low oil light coming on just before the Genny quits? You would almost need to watch the generator constantly until it quits to actually know.
Also, make sure the generator is sitting on a level surface.

We have an older EU2000 that is VERY sensitive to oil level, and will do as you describe if it's not completely full of oil and fairly level.

I would almost suspect a faulty level indicator if all the above checks out.
Is it possible for you to borrow, or try a different generator to see if your issue persists?

Turns out the oil in the generator was low. The neighbor across the street has the exact same generator and we spent an hour troubleshooting yesterday.

As to others-I turned EVERYTHING off except ac, including tripping the converter breaker itself. I don't use a coffeepot (don't drink coffee I know I'm weird) or hair curler or anything like that. Just a couple laptops, phone charger and my kids plugged in a tablet and jetpack to charge (jetpack for internet). HWH is on gas, fridge was on gas only as well (auto light was off).

So now I have the a/c set to auto, fridge is on auto (at suggestion from neighbor just because his trailer runs auto on same genny just fine) but I only plug in the tablet/jetpack/my laptop if the battery is low. And I try to charge things at night unless I need them done during the day.

At any rate, the issue seems to have been low oil in the generator (it really helps when one person is looking at the genny and the other is inside messing with the a/c and other power sources). Because ac is working great now.

If it craps out again, I'll definitely run through the power checklist again. The weird thing is that there's no ladder to get up there to really check it out- I thought that was standard with rvs? Or is it only standard if there's a ceiling escape hatch?

Electric company engineer is coming out to the property in the morning to do the site survey to bring in power. Hopefully (fingers crossed) it won't take them very long to run the 200 amp service and the temp power pedestal with the rv plug and others for construction, and then I won't have to worry about generators anymore or take forever in the gas line filling up 6 five gallon gas cans every few days...Septic installed tomorrow, water hopefully won't be too much longer, and then I won't have to worry about any utilities (except propane, which is why I bought and filled 100 lb tank at Tractor Supply yesterday ;)

tweetzone86
06-25-2019, 02:38 PM
I look forward to getting to know more people on here (though to be honest, I'm building our house this summer (hubby help on nights and weekends, but I'm the one who cut my teeth on drill bits and framing hammers)) and may only end up on here if there's a problem for a while.

Happy trails to you all! :)

ctbruce
06-25-2019, 03:33 PM
Make sure that when your electrician wires your pedestal, they wire it for an RV, not a dryer hookup. Some dont know the difference.

jsmith948
06-25-2019, 03:51 PM
If you turn off the breaker for the converter, your batteries won't charge.

Harleydodge
06-25-2019, 03:58 PM
Turns out the oil in the generator was low. The neighbor across the street has the exact same generator and we spent an hour troubleshooting yesterday.

As to others-I turned EVERYTHING off except ac, including tripping the converter breaker itself. I don't use a coffeepot (don't drink coffee I know I'm weird) or hair curler or anything like that. Just a couple laptops, phone charger and my kids plugged in a tablet and jetpack to charge (jetpack for internet). HWH is on gas, fridge was on gas only as well (auto light was off).

So now I have the a/c set to auto, fridge is on auto (at suggestion from neighbor just because his trailer runs auto on same genny just fine) but I only plug in the tablet/jetpack/my laptop if the battery is low. And I try to charge things at night unless I need them done during the day.

At any rate, the issue seems to have been low oil in the generator (it really helps when one person is looking at the genny and the other is inside messing with the a/c and other power sources). Because ac is working great now.

If it craps out again, I'll definitely run through the power checklist again. The weird thing is that there's no ladder to get up there to really check it out- I thought that was standard with rvs? Or is it only standard if there's a ceiling escape hatch?

Electric company engineer is coming out to the property in the morning to do the site survey to bring in power. Hopefully (fingers crossed) it won't take them very long to run the 200 amp service and the temp power pedestal with the rv plug and others for construction, and then I won't have to worry about generators anymore or take forever in the gas line filling up 6 five gallon gas cans every few days...Septic installed tomorrow, water hopefully won't be too much longer, and then I won't have to worry about any utilities (except propane, which is why I bought and filled 100 lb tank at Tractor Supply yesterday ;)

Glad you got to the bottom of the issue, although, as others have mentioned, that generator is at the small end of useful for powering your trailer for your needs. Possibly consider an upgrade in the future if you decide to do much boondocking.

Good luck with the house. It'll all be worth it once completed ;)

Logan X
06-25-2019, 05:36 PM
I’m glad you were able to get it figured out, that was a good call Harleydodge! Good luck with your house and the trailer.

sourdough
06-25-2019, 06:11 PM
I look forward to getting to know more people on here (though to be honest, I'm building our house this summer (hubby help on nights and weekends, but I'm the one who cut my teeth on drill bits and framing hammers)) and may only end up on here if there's a problem for a while.

Happy trails to you all! :)

"only end up here if there's a problem for a while"?? No need to dump the RV when the house is built - they don't replace an RV. Heck, I had 4 and STILL liked using the RV. It offers a lot more than a fixed house does. Keep an open mind....you may find that you can't part with the RV by the time the house is finished. :D

LHaven
06-30-2019, 02:08 PM
"only end up here if there's a problem for a while"?? No need to dump the RV when the house is built

I think she means "on the forum."

Daryles
06-30-2019, 03:43 PM
Buy a 14-50r 50 amp outlet for the electrician to wire in. Make sure you install a breaker with it.
Use 6 gauge wire.

https://www.amazon.com/Talon-LGP1S-Enclosed-Outdoor-Receptacle/dp/B00M3H6494

Useful info in this article.

https://www.rvtravel.com/can-i-use-a-welder-outlet-for-50-amp-rv-power/

jkoenig24
06-30-2019, 07:00 PM
By any chance, are you significantly above sea level? Above 4000'~5000' MSL, generator power is less than the output at sea level. If altitude IS an issue, in addition to reduced power, you're also likely to encounter a fouled spark plug.

chuckster57
06-30-2019, 07:19 PM
By any chance, are you significantly above sea level? Above 4000'~5000' MSL, generator power is less than the output at sea level. If altitude IS an issue, in addition to reduced power, you're also likely to encounter a fouled spark plug.

Most newer gens come with a high altitude jet for the carb. On the class C’s that we sell with an onboard gen have an altitude compensation knob to lean out the mixture.

I agree with your statement, and I don’t know the OP’s altitude.

Lee
07-01-2019, 08:36 AM
Now, the ac runs for a little bit, but the generator keeps turning off. It does the overload, then shuts off completely. I've even popped the breaker on the converter, turned off everything in the rv, unplugged, everything, etc and it's still doing it.

:ermm:

Hi,
Please confirm..... Generator shuts down with everything unplugged..... Including the shore power cord to the generator??????? In other words does the Generator also stop with nothing plugged into it?

My EU1000 acted as you described once...... Turned out that I did not have the vent on the top of the gas cap opened to "Run" causing the gas tank to vacuum lock.

Lee

hankpage
07-01-2019, 01:37 PM
I am glad to see that you got everything up and running. As for fridge, leave it on gas, it will work better on gas and it uses very little propane. As mentioned your battery will go dead with the converter turned off .... your fridge and WH needs 12v dc for the control boards and ignition .. Once the battery is fully charged the converter will draw very little to maintain the charge and supply dc for lights and controls. (replace light bulbs with leds)
Good luck with the stick house, Hank

notanlines
07-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Lee, why did you read the first post and jump to the end? You should read what’s in between. You’ll be glad you did. Good info to be had, including the answer to the mystry.

tweetzone86
07-01-2019, 03:04 PM
Sure, but we're trying to get out of debt, not further into it ;) We don't typically have the time or more importantly, the funds to be able to vacation frequently. The ONLY one we've had in the 11 years we've been married was to a family reunion taking place because my aunt was dying of cancer.

Our property is a farm and we're going to have animals (have 10 chickens now, in fact, and will be adding meat steer and pig, meat and more laying chickens, milk cow, a couple horses, etc). So it won't be easy to just hop in the rv for a long weekend- we'd have to coordinate someone to feed, water the animals and milk the cow while we're gone.

We will probably get another travel trailer someday-when we can pay cash for it and not have a $230/month payment on it (that money is going toward animal feed and farm stuff once construction is done and we get the rest of our animals). We didn't have a choice on the payment right now (either rv or house and house was more important-we're cash flowing the house because we're building it ourselves).

But we do Dave Ramsey, and part of that is getting out of debt, not further into it (we're actually in less debt now than before we sold our house in town even with the RV). So the TT will have to be sold once house is done, but in the future when we're debt free we will probably get another one :)

tweetzone86
07-01-2019, 03:05 PM
My altitude is about 2,500 feet :) And I don't have an onboard genny with this one.

tweetzone86
07-01-2019, 03:06 PM
It's a 30 amp plug though? Why a 50 amp outlet?

GMcKenzie
07-02-2019, 08:12 AM
It's a 30 amp plug though? Why a 50 amp outlet?

For when you upgrade your trailer and need 50. You can get 30 amp from a 50, but if going through the trouble of the install, it may be good to just put in a 50.

Rgregor
07-07-2019, 06:05 AM
Good for you guys! My wife and I are trying to do the same except with fewer animals. Good luck and God Bless!

duh1
07-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Need a slightly bigger generator. Our 3500 does our 2910bh just fine. Tried smaller.bennies but they did exactly what yours is doing. Try running frig on propane and go to led bulbs and minimize draw. That as is a big in hot weather.