PDA

View Full Version : extreme rear tire wear on the inside

bbells
06-23-2019, 03:59 PM
I only have a couple thousand miles on my 2018 Keystone double axle trailer. I am not sure if it still has warranty coverage since the dealer used it as a rental before I bought it. The radial tires on the front axle look brand new. The tires on the rear axle look worn down to the threads on the inside. I have heard this may be an alignment issue, but in this small number of miles I am thinking it may be a major axle or spring problem. Also, I am not sure if this is normal or not, but when I parked the trailer in a curve with the truck the wheels did not line up. The front looked like they were at an angle, and the rear looked straight. I don't mind paying for whatever repair it needs, but it would help to get some ideas as to what this may be. Thanks for any help.

travelin texans
06-23-2019, 04:41 PM
You only have a couple thousand miles, how many 1000s were put on it as a rental? Plus you have no idea where or what renters did to/with it.
If you don't know what to look for on the suspension have someone qualified to take look, possibly take it to a shop that can repair & align it, doesn't have to be a rv dealer, but a good trailer shop.
Every time you turn sharply the axles will torque/twist til it looks like it'll roll the tires off the wheels which is normal. I wouldn't leave it parked with axles in that position for any length of time, pull ahead or back up to straighten them out.

bbells
06-23-2019, 04:51 PM
Of course I am going to have someone look at it. But, it is always best to have some idea what may be wrong before doing so. Otherwise one risks being raked over the coals.

Gegrad
06-23-2019, 05:14 PM
Sounds like either an alignment issue or a bad axle. I had rear inside tire wear on my Passport and it was a bad axle. Called around, found an exact Dexter replacement for $95. Had my local shop install it for $125. Done. Tire wear problem solved.

sourdough
06-23-2019, 06:18 PM
Of course I am going to have someone look at it. But, it is always best to have some idea what may be wrong before doing so. Otherwise one risks being raked over the coals.

I applaud your effort trying to find out what might be the possible cause of your tire wear. I also agree it is very advisable to have some idea of what might be wrong before you let a shop guide you into some sort of repairs so you can be aware/wary. To me though, if you don't have any idea of what the issue may be, or know how to check/verify it, you are still where Danny left you; find a good, reputable shop that does the kind of work needed and KNOWS what to do. Trying to become a subject matter expert on the internet or this forum on things you don't have expertise in is usually a waste of time IMO (complicated things). Do your due diligence and find the best qualified place to assess your situation. Going thru it right now with PDR (paintless dent repair); never had to do it, don't know a thing about it and doing my homework to make sure I get the right guy to do the job - I absolutely cannot guide, or correct, them in their assessments.

bbells
06-24-2019, 05:37 AM
I applaud your effort trying to find out what might be the possible cause of your tire wear. I also agree it is very advisable to have some idea of what might be wrong before you let a shop guide you into some sort of repairs so you can be aware/wary. To me though, if you don't have any idea of what the issue may be, or know how to check/verify it, you are still where Danny left you; find a good, reputable shop that does the kind of work needed and KNOWS what to do. Trying to become a subject matter expert on the internet or this forum on things you don't have expertise in is usually a waste of time IMO (complicated things). Do your due diligence and find the best qualified place to assess your situation. Going thru it right now with PDR (paintless dent repair); never had to do it, don't know a thing about it and doing my homework to make sure I get the right guy to do the job - I absolutely cannot guide, or correct, them in their assessments.

Well, stating the obvious is always a little less than helpful.

sourdough
06-24-2019, 05:59 AM

Sorry if it wasn't helpful. I was simply trying to point out that your decision to take it to someone knowledgeable is the right idea IMO. Trying to "speed learn" all there is to know about a suspension on the internet before you take it to a shop so they won't "rake you over the coals" probably isn't the most expedient way to approach it, and, could cause more trouble than help...with a good shop- especially if one doesn't know a spring hanger from a shackle - not implying that is you, just an example of simple things a person needs to know if they are going to try to assess an axle/alignment/wear problem.

Danny's post above was on the money so I'll leave you with that and wish you luck.

bbells
06-24-2019, 06:08 AM
I know you think you are helping, but please reread the post. I am not trying to speed learn anything. I am just trying to get ideas on what could be wrong before I bring it in for repair. IMHO, to bring a vehicle in for repair with no idea what is wrong guarantees one will be raked over the coals. That is something everyone one of us knows or should know.

KSH
06-24-2019, 06:21 AM
Sorry if it wasn't helpful. I was simply trying to point out that your decision to take it to someone knowledgeable is the right idea IMO. Trying to "speed learn" all there is to know about a suspension on the internet before you take it to a shop so they won't "rake you over the coals" probably isn't the most expedient way to approach it, and, could cause more trouble than help...with a good shop- especially if one doesn't know a spring hanger from a shackle - not implying that is you, just an example of simple things a person needs to know if they are going to try to assess an axle/alignment/wear problem.

Danny's post above was on the money so I'll leave you with that and wish you luck.I'm sure you know the whole point of this forum is for people with a lack of knowledge to ask questions. I think you should curtail your long opinions when they don't address what the OP is looking for. I resisted posting this the first time you dumped your opinion on him, but it seems you didn't get it. And please don't respond to my post with another long self justification post. Just consider it from the other point of view.

All you needed to say is "I agree, take it to a good shop".

Logan X
06-24-2019, 06:22 AM

Not to cause any controversy, but what may be obvious to you may not be obvious to everyone who reads this thread. You may have asked the original question but there may be a lot of people over time who end up reading this when they are searching for the answer to a similar question.

In my opinion, it is a great feature of this forum that people with many years of experience share their experience. I want to hear from the voices of experience and I value their input. YMMV.

Northofu1
06-24-2019, 06:37 AM
I only have a couple thousand miles on my 2018 Keystone double axle trailer. I am not sure if it still has warranty coverage since the dealer used it as a rental before I bought it. The radial tires on the front axle look brand new. The tires on the rear axle look worn down to the threads on the inside. I have heard this may be an alignment issue, but in this small number of miles I am thinking it may be a major axle or spring problem. Also, I am not sure if this is normal or not, but when I parked the trailer in a curve with the truck the wheels did not line up. The front looked like they were at an angle, and the rear looked straight. I don't mind paying for whatever repair it needs, but it would help to get some ideas as to what this may be. Thanks for any help.

I'm curious if you have the lippert wide stance axles as mine do that cornering as well.

Ken / Claudia
06-24-2019, 06:47 AM
It's too bad that some ask for help and do not like the answers. That is going to happen if you want answers, or really just opinions. Without being there, seeing the problem all you can get is opinions. Mine is it could be an axle bent, bad tire, or one or more of the many things loose or broken with just about any part or many that are called the suspension. If the poster had went under the trailer looked, photographed all that stuff someone may be able to say it is XX part you need to replace/fix.
The poster does not seem to trust repair shops, I also sometimes do not. I would be asking questions about what the shop says and get an quote than do the same at least one more time.

travelin texans
06-24-2019, 08:06 AM
As mentioned photos of the complete suspension would be helpful, also knowing that you know which end if a screwdriver to use is also unknown to ALL of us that are trying to help.
Also as mentioned there's about a hundred parts that could be your problem, do you know what any if them are called, know what they're for or know where to look for them if someone ask you to check it out?
You ask for help, we've given our best opinions with the little we have to go on to which all you can do is complain about the opinions.
So I'm with Danny, good luck, hope you get it fixed!!

ChuckS
06-25-2019, 05:33 AM
Typically your issue of wear on the inner most part of the tread on the tire is caused by one of the following issues...

... chamber of the axle has changed..’axles when new have a pre bent form to then to compensate for weight as it is loaded to give proper camber to the tires If this has changed tires will wear usually on the inside

.. loose axle bearing nuts can also contribute to this problem. A simple check of lifting weight off that axle tire and grab tire at 6 and 12 o clock positions and apply pressure to each location. If you feel wiggle in the wheel then the axle nut is not installed properly and will cause wear on inner edge.

Any good trailer shop can assess your issue pretty quickly

Mrchipz
06-30-2019, 07:27 AM
We had the exact same issue with just one tire wearing out on the inside of the tread. Took it in and had them install metal bushings instead of the plastic ones Keystone uses. It was pretty spendy and we were out of warranty. If you are still in warranty make them change out all four wheels. Solved our problem of inside wear.

GvS
06-30-2019, 08:02 AM
When I had this occur before on a prior trailer it was due to the alignment of the axles. They need be aligned with the trailer and each other. Until I had this fixed I chewed through tires in no time.

cygnussailor
06-30-2019, 08:08 AM
It sounds like you have a bent rear axle. I had the exact same problem on a 2011 Crossroads Cruiser. After seeing the tire wear I noticed that the rear tires were toed out compared to the front tires. I took it to a frame and axle repair business and they said that this is fairly common and not a bit deal. They did what they called a controlled bend and brought the rear axle into alignment. I replaced all four tires since they were the original factory cheap China tires. Never had another problem.

bbells
06-30-2019, 08:12 AM
Not to cause any controversy, but what may be obvious to you may not be obvious to everyone who reads this thread. You may have asked the original question but there may be a lot of people over time who end up reading this when they are searching for the answer to a similar question.

In my opinion, it is a great feature of this forum that people with many years of experience share their experience. I want to hear from the voices of experience and I value their input. YMMV.

Obviously you have nothing to add to the discussion about the wear.

bbells
06-30-2019, 08:14 AM
I brought it an to a truck alignment place and they found the camber was way off on one axle and the toe on the other. Thanks to all of those who posted the possible reasons.

alnbobby
06-30-2019, 11:42 AM
I had the same problem on my 2012 Bullet. After a few thousand miles I noticed inside wear on the rear axle tires. I was on a very long road trip, and after about 6-7 thousand miles I ended up replacing both rear tires. When I returned home a couple of months later, I took my RV to be serviced and they did a realignment on the rear axle. That did indeed solve the issue.

patyacht
06-30-2019, 11:51 AM
Since we are trying to help fellow RV'ers I'd like to also say when you are doing your axle alignment you should also consider the verticle alignment of your trailer at the Pinbox. If your trailer sits too high or too low at the Pinbox abnormal tire wear can occur on either the forward or rear axle. Just another thought!

WDPatterson
06-30-2019, 05:04 PM
Is it possible that the front tires were replaced, but the rear tires were not??... Another possibility is that the trailer was pulled for quite some time with the tongue High, not level...

x50v
07-01-2019, 09:59 AM
I had the same issue with my Keystone Avalanche, headed for Alaska, got home 7 tires later. Had the axle re-aligned, now it is great. The alignment guy said he gets a lot of new RV’s with axles out of alignment from the factory.