PDA

View Full Version : One Night Stays

mcb
06-20-2019, 06:11 PM
We are planning to do an extended trip late summer/early fall and we will have several one night stays where we will roll in late and leave early the next morning. Have any of you left your 5th wheel attached to the truck and just hooked up to water and electric?

what procedure do you use?
leave hooked to truck?
put landing down etc?

TJ

ctbruce
06-20-2019, 06:28 PM
Check this currently running thread.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ekeystoneforums%2E com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D38476&share_tid=38476&share_fid=38313&share_type=t

Canonman
06-20-2019, 06:36 PM
We've done both, stay hooked up and unhook as well. If I need to get fuel I'll unhook and just take the Ram to fill up. If it's late and I'm too pooped I'll leave it hooked up and get fuel on the way out of town. With the auto level it's only a 15 minute difference:)

mohead1
06-20-2019, 06:56 PM
Leave it on the truck. Put landing gear down and take some of the weight to stabilize. Sewer hose and just use shower/sinks no toilet. Water/electric, put slides out if needed, i usually dont.
Try not to use toilet as tank has been flushed from last longer term stay.

travelin texans
06-20-2019, 08:46 PM
Have done just about anyway you possibly could as far as jacks up/down or hooked/unhooked. If without sewer connection for several nights will take very short quick showers. If toilet is needed we use it, that's one of the luxuries of having a rv, with just 2 of us the black tank will hold a weeks worth.

rhagfo
06-20-2019, 09:05 PM
This is why I worked to get a 100% level tow, so that we could just leave it hooked up. As to overnighting at a Wall World, Cabelsa's, Bass Pro, or other large retailer that allows, I believe do some business with them and making the stay just long enough to be rested and safe to drive.
If I were to stay at a Cracker Barrel I would have both dinner and breakfast at that location.

I worked for several years as a systems repair tech for a large grocery chain in the PNW. If I was in need of a restroom, and stopped at convenience store and used their restroom, I always bought a drink and snack. To me using the facilities without is just rude.

MarkEHansen
06-21-2019, 03:50 AM
In one of the responses, above, I got the impression that the auto-level system was used while the trailer remained connected to the tow vehicle. I've assumed this was not a good idea and wondered how people run their RV fridge overnight when remaining hooked up to the truck (because the fridge wants to be level).

Can you auto-level the trailer while it is hooked up to the truck?

Canonman
06-21-2019, 05:15 AM
I've not used the auto level if leaving the Cougar hooked up for the night. Sorry if I implied that I did. 15 extra minutes to unhook or reattach the next morning using the auto level is what I meant to say. I do use the Tri Level ramps to get as level as possible in either case.

MarkEHansen
06-21-2019, 05:20 AM
Thanks. We haven't had to stay overnight anyplace where we should remain hooked up, but was wondering what others do in this situation regarding their fridge.

Laredo Tugger
06-21-2019, 05:32 AM
In one of the responses, above, I got the impression that the auto-level system was used while the trailer remained connected to the tow vehicle. I've assumed this was not a good idea and wondered how people run their RV fridge overnight when remaining hooked up to the truck (because the fridge wants to be level).

You are correct,not a good idea. I have found that the Auto-Level may need to lower the trailer lower than the TV bed. I caught it once and was glad I didn't just push the button and walk away. And I have heard this has happened to other 5ers,with damage to the truck bed.
I just use the manual jack mode and leave the truck connected. If the RV site isn't level enough to run your fridge, find another site/park.
RMc

travelin texans
06-21-2019, 08:36 AM
Most large parking lots are level enough that running the fridge shouldn't be a problem overnight, unless you park one wheel up on the curb. If it's level enough for you to comfortably sleep in the bed without rolling out the fridge should be fine.
You can press the auto level while hooked to the truck, but won't work due to the front has to drop to begin & can't if connected to the truck. Can go to manual mode & level, or at least stabilize for the night without any issues.

mcb
06-21-2019, 08:44 AM
Thanks for all the info, I was wondering what most did if you were just staying for the night. Mine is a self level setup but it sounds like the best method is-

Leave it hooked to truck and use the landing gear to just take the load off a bit. The whole rig is pretty level while sitting hooked up, maybe I'll put down the rear stabilizers just to reduce the movement a little also.

again thanks for the info,

rhagfo
06-21-2019, 01:52 PM

Don't know about auto level, but 5er rides level behind TV, and this is one of the reasons to achieve that.

larryflew
06-27-2019, 08:34 AM
I don't do the auto level. I just put all 6 legs down to firm to stop some of the wobbling trailer syndrome. LOTS of one nighters over the years and never far enough out of level for fridge not to work.

K_N_L
06-27-2019, 09:55 AM
On a overnight stop depending on how late it is when we pull in, might not disconnect. I am much quicker to disconnect with the 5th wheel than I was with my TT with the weigh distribution hitch though. We've used the jacks to stabilize and level out a bit if needed. From past boondocking trips, know we're good for at least 3 days on all tanks (just the wifey and I) living normally, so would'nt hook up water or sewer, just power and maybe cable if needed.

kjohn
06-27-2019, 10:05 AM
Sort of on topic, but I noticed a sign at a Campground in Fort Nelson, BC stating that you must unhook. Why would that be? I don't dispute the matter, just wonder why.

GlampingHippie
06-27-2019, 02:55 PM
Sort of on topic, but I noticed a sign at a Campground in Fort Nelson, BC stating that you must unhook. Why would that be? I don't dispute the matter, just wonder why.

Could be past bad experience.

Attached units are longer and block roadways.
Attached unit not properly parked (TV in neutral/no brake engaged) and entire thing rolls through the campground.

geeman
06-28-2019, 06:15 AM

You have to be REALLY off level to effect the fridge. If it is that bad you will have stuff falling off the counter and rolling out of bed. Just about any temporary parking lot type spot you find will be good enough for the fridge or you wont be able to sleep either.

MarkEHansen
06-28-2019, 06:44 AM
That's not what I'm talking about. I realize if the trailer is on it's side, the fridge probably isn't going to function - I'm not disputing that.

What I was told was that when the fridge is off-level, the fluid that is being heated and running through the plumbing (whatever that is called) cannot heat properly and can leave sediments in the channels - reducing the effectiveness, over time, of the fridge.

So, I'm not talking about a condition which would cause the fridge to just not work. I'm talking about a condition which would reduce the effectiveness of the fridge's ability to cool over time so that after a while (I don't know how long) it would need to be replaced.

So, how level is level enough? I just don't know. But I think that having the trailer "level enough" that the fridge will run is not proof that you are not doing damage to the fridge.

Perhaps this is an 'old wife's tale'?

chuckster57
06-28-2019, 06:51 AM
Refers should be no more than 3 degrees off level when operating “parked”. Moving down the highway doesn’t matter.

What happens is the solution “puddles” in the corners and hardens causing reduced efficiency. Repeated and continued use can cause failure.

MarkEHansen
06-28-2019, 07:06 AM
Thanks, Chuckster57 - this is what I was trying to explain.

Logan X
06-28-2019, 07:39 AM
Refers should be no more than 3 degrees off level when operating “parked”. Moving down the highway doesn’t matter.

What happens is the solution “puddles” in the corners and hardens causing reduced efficiency. Repeated and continued use can cause failure.

This is good information, thanks Chuckster.

I was recently over at a friends house and his father in law had “helped” by building a pergola in the back yard. As soon as I saw that thing I was like “dang that is one crooked pergola!” When I was alone out there I put my phone up to it too see how much it was out of plumb. It looked very crooked but it was only 1 degree off.

Having said all that, I think if the trailer was more that 3 degrees out of level, you would know it.

Roscommon48
06-28-2019, 08:26 AM
of course you can leave your trailer and truck connected.

if you come in late you may not even want to connect anything.

I usually, at least, put the front legs down to give my truck some relief--not sure if it helps anything though.