PDA

View Full Version : Ordered Carlisle

jdixon980
06-20-2019, 03:09 PM
Well ordered Carlisle 235/80R16 tires today for my 2018 Cougar 367FLS. I have put about 3500 miles on the original Trailer King tires. I have read about so many blowouts with these tires, I was paranoid every time I towed camper. Just waiting for a blowout. Have a trip to Pigeon Forge TN next week, so went to Discount Tire and ordered. Install Saturday. Hope I don’t have to worry about tires for awhile.

notanlines
06-20-2019, 03:18 PM
Jeff, I don't think you will be sorry in your decision. Horror stories abound surrounding Trailer King and associated crapola. And when enjoying your time in our great state of Tennessee, kindly spend all the money your little pea-pickin' heart desires....we need the tax dollars! :D

jdixon980
06-20-2019, 05:52 PM
Jeff, I don't think you will be sorry in your decision. Horror stories abound surrounding Trailer King and associated crapola. And when enjoying your time in our great state of Tennessee, kindly spend all the money your little pea-pickin' heart desires....we need the tax dollars! :D

I am sure I will contribute to your state very well next week. One thing about Pigeon Forge, bottomless money pit!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

CWtheMan
06-20-2019, 07:25 PM
Well ordered Carlisle 235/80R16 tires today for my 2018 Cougar 367FLS. I have put about 3500 miles on the original Trailer King tires. I have read about so many blowouts with these tires, I was paranoid every time I towed camper. Just waiting for a blowout. Have a trip to Pigeon Forge TN next week, so went to Discount Tire and ordered. Install Saturday. Hope I don’t have to worry about tires for awhile.

On 5200# axles those ST235/80R16 LRE tires at 80 PSI were more than just adequate.

The trailer king ST235/80R16 LRE provided 3520# of load capacity at 80 psi. The Carlisle, same designated size at LRE provide 3420# of load capacity at 80 PSI.

sourdough
06-20-2019, 07:46 PM
On 5200# axles those ST235/80R16 LRE tires at 80 PSI were more than just adequate.

The trailer king ST235/80R16 LRE provided 3520# of load capacity at 80 psi. The Carlisle, same designated size at LRE provide 3420# of load capacity at 80 PSI.

I know we have differing opinons simply because I don't believe every tire rated as "x" is equal. I will take the Carlisle every day before I would put a Trailer King on my RV. JMO/YMMV I'm sure.

CaptnJohn
06-20-2019, 08:58 PM
I ran Carlisle for years without a problem. Went to LR F though. With the bigger 5er I switched to Sailun and my Montana came with Sailun. LR G

jdixon980
06-21-2019, 02:26 AM

According to Carlisle website these tires are rated for 3520 load capacity. Same load capacity as the Trailer Kings

Tbos
06-21-2019, 03:44 AM
My only blowout was a Trailer King on the way to the same area a few years back. I upgraded to Carlisle as soon as we arrived home. I’ll be arriving at Riverside in Sevierville TN the 28th for a week. What CG will you be in?

jdixon980
06-21-2019, 05:08 AM
My only blowout was a Trailer King on the way to the same area a few years back. I upgraded to Carlisle as soon as we arrived home. I’ll be arriving at Riverside in Sevierville TN the 28th for a week. What CG will you be in?

We are staying at a new campground just opened in May called The Ridge Outdoor Resort in Sevierville. We stayed at Riverside Memorial Day weekend. Stayed many times there. Nice place.

Salt Life
06-21-2019, 07:29 AM
I swapped out to Maxxis. Heard nothing but good things....

CWtheMan
06-21-2019, 07:33 AM
According to Carlisle website these tires are rated for 3520 load capacity. Same load capacity as the Trailer Kings

You're right. I forgot they did that when they built the HD series. I've changed my reference files to the HD series. TY!

CWtheMan
06-21-2019, 07:46 AM
I know we have differing opinons simply because I don't believe every tire rated as "x" is equal. I will take the Carlisle every day before I would put a Trailer King on my RV. JMO/YMMV I'm sure.

I know that. It's a personal opinion. The regulations and standards cannot take that position. All tires in a designated size have the same rating they have been tested to support. All designated sizes have a single load inflation chart for all load capacities a designated size will support. Without that sort of standardization there wouldn't be any continuity within the industry.

Tbos
06-21-2019, 08:34 AM
We are staying at a new campground just opened in May called The Ridge Outdoor Resort in Sevierville. We stayed at Riverside Memorial Day weekend. Stayed many times there. Nice place.

I’ll have to look at that CG. If you drive through and see an Alpine with a forum sticker on it that’s me.

BadmanRick
06-30-2019, 08:54 AM
I read that the new Goodyear Marathon tires have been redesigned and are now more durable and are rated at 95mph.

JRTJH
06-30-2019, 09:05 AM
I read that the new Goodyear Marathon tires have been redesigned and are now more durable and are rated at 95mph.

That may be true, but the name and brand have a very negative reputation.

Who among us would buy a new, redesigned YUGO if they were suddenly to appear on the market?????

LV_Tom
06-30-2019, 02:24 PM
So I've gone through the Tow Max China Bombs that were on my 2011 Cougar 27RLSWE TT. Replaced them with Carlisle as I've always has a good experience with Carlisle tires. Not so much lately..Had a tread separation on one without a blowout and a bulge on another. So off to Discount to see what else they could provide me with. The tire salesman said they weren't inventorying Carlisle anymore ( at least out here), but they could order them for me. He suggest Goodyear Tires. I immediately told him no POS Goodyear "Marathon" tires on my trailer. That's when he said Goodyear has built new trailer tire called the Endurance. This was brought about after 5 of the major tire shops (Discount being one of them) went to Goodyear and told them they needed to build a better tire than the Marathon. Anyway I've got 15,000 miles on the Endurance tires and I am sold on them. I've been watching them like a hawk. The sidewalls are stronger and the Speed rating is 87 MPH for the E load tires. But finally they are built in the USA. Tires are a real issue in the desert southwest during the summer season. The tires are hot before you ever hit the highway. A simple extra is that the 80 lb pressure number is cast in 1" high lettering on the side of the tire for tire shop staff that my not have finished High School.

sourdough
06-30-2019, 03:13 PM
The Goodyear Endurance is relatively new with not much history behind it. After the Marathon a lot of folks are just sitting back waiting for the history on them to build and get feedback on them. Your experiences are just what folks are waiting for and I, and I'm sure the majority of others, really appreciate you posting them. Like you, I hope to get back to an American made trailer tire that's head and shoulders above the rest.....or, maybe stands as tall???:D

goducks
07-01-2019, 05:18 PM
I won't use any ST tire thats not rated for 100+ mph. No I don't tow that fast but on occasion I like to run near 90 mph when traffic thins out or when I'm out on deserted hwys.

Salt Life
07-01-2019, 06:30 PM
90? Trailers arent made 4 those speeds. Just asking 4 trouble.

CWtheMan
07-02-2019, 09:01 AM

Sidewall scuff guard material added.

87 MPH.

busterbrown
07-02-2019, 05:01 PM
90? Trailers arent made 4 those speeds. Just asking 4 trouble.

Pretty sure Goducks was being facetious. Not very obvious, but I think the reference was towards a new trailer tire speed rated for "95 mph".

Salt Life
07-02-2019, 05:08 PM
Pretty sure Goducks was being facetious. Not very obvious, but I think the reference was towards a new trailer tire speed rated for "95 mph".

Hope so.......

Tbos
07-04-2019, 03:19 PM

Stopped into this CG. It is really nice.

jdixon980
07-04-2019, 04:05 PM
Stopped into this CG. It is really nice.

It will be really nice when they get everything done. TV cable is not running, WiFi is ok. Each spot is suppose to have there own internet the way I understand it. Don’t know when they will have it up and running. They just put sod in the dog park Tuesday. Been here since Saturday. Leaving Sunday. Overall nice.