PDA

View Full Version : 2nd A/C with T-stat

5J's
06-16-2019, 06:21 PM
I'm about to undertake the task of adding a 2nd A/C in the bedroom of our 5er. I'm not crazy about the controls being overhead on the unit so I opted for the remote mount T-stat. It looks like I can get the stat wire down the wall easily from the 14" skylight and I think I can pull the DC from the bathroom light circuit as that switch is on the back side of the wall the Stat will be on. Has anyone taken on this task?

chuckster57
06-16-2019, 06:44 PM
You have 110V at the vent? Your trailer is 50A service?

Just askin. Fishing wires through the rafters isn’t what I would call an easy task.

5J's
06-16-2019, 06:49 PM
Sorry I should be said that. Yes I'm prepped for the 2nd A/C. 50A service and the 110 is at the vent. I've already pulled the inner ring out of the skylight before I ordered the A/C just to make sure the 110 was there and I had fairly easy access to the wall for the stat. The only curve ball was needing the DC to the stat but, with the bathroom light switch on the back side of that wall it should be fairly simple. The stat recommends a 2A in line fuse on the DC so I should fine to pull off that circuit.

xrated
06-17-2019, 02:10 AM
I added a second A/C unit in the garage area of a Fuzion Impact 303 last summer that was prepped for the second A/C unit. On mine, the 120VAC was already there and on a separate breaker feed, the 12VDC was there, and a 4 conductor cable for the thermostat was there. The hardest part, besides getting the new unit up on the roof, was trying to find where the other end of the thermostat cable was dead ended in the wall. I ended up taking out a couple of switches that was on a wall where I thought the cable should be, and using a small mirror and flashlight to look around inside the wall. Low and behold, there it was, stuffed in the wall with at least three extra feet of cable. You might check yours and see if those wires/cable is already there....mine was.

5J's
06-17-2019, 04:08 AM
No second stat wire and no DC. Mine was setup for a unit with built in controls.

xrated
06-17-2019, 06:48 AM
No second stat wire and no DC. Mine was setup for a unit with built in controls.

Maybe the location of the two is the difference. Bedroom, the ceiling is quite a bit lower than in the garage area. I guess they figure you can just reach up and turn it on/adjust it. In the garage area, a step stool would be required plus a bit of a reach as it was primarily over the HappiJak bed.

5J's
06-17-2019, 08:41 PM
I do believe you're right.

5J's
08-12-2019, 01:58 PM
Well, I finished the project a few days ago. I wouldn't call it a piece of cake but, it was fairly simple. I think the hardest part was removing the old vent and the sealant. The job could be done in a couple of hours. The temp difference in the trailer is amazing and we'll worth the time and expense.