PDA

View Full Version : black tank sensor always shows 3/4 full

timjwhite
06-16-2019, 10:01 AM
Hi,
My black tank has started showing 3/4 full on the past several camping trips. Even though I have a cleaner inlet valve prior to storing, that still doesn't get the sensor clean. What is the best idea to get sensor cleaned? Some say buy a liquid cleaner and some say buy a camco sensor cleaner wand. Any ideas?
Thanks ahead of time.

timjwhite
06-16-2019, 10:04 AM
Hi,
My keystone passport TT has a strong sewer smell upon opening up and first running the city supply water. However, off an on we still get the smell in the middle of a trip. Does anyone have any idea how to trouble shoot this? Thanks for the help.

Logan X
06-16-2019, 11:49 AM
Regarding the sensor, I think it is the consensus that the black tank sensor is useless and it is a fruitless effort to try to get it to read correctly. After a couple of trips I got used to how’s many days we could use the toilet before the black tank was full. Also, it makes a different sound, like gurgling, when you flush the toilet and it is near full.

Regarding the smell, I use Happy Camper tank treatment and it works great. It isn’t a perfume that masks the smell, it has enzymes or some other type of science that breaks down the waste and neutralizes the smell.

Here is a link
https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers-Organic-Holding-Treatment/dp/B007S0H5DU

travelin texans
06-16-2019, 12:02 PM
Best advice is don't drive yourself nuts trying make the sensors any more accurate than they currently are, it would be a waste of time, effort & money, as stated just learn your tank.
As far as odors, look on line for the Geo method, it's cheap & effective!
Most of the additives for rv tanks are just deodorizers, actually don't help much with solids.
The enzyme additives such as RidX or others only work if left in the tank for weeks/months plus if anti bacterial soaps &/or bleach are used they neutralize its effects anyway. Rinse black tank thoroughly, may take several rinses, then add the ingredients of the Geo Method.

Tbos
06-16-2019, 01:37 PM
It’s also possible one of the grey water under sink vents is getting stuck open. They in screw and can be replaced. Chemicals in the grey tank will help too.

Frank G
06-16-2019, 03:00 PM
The level indicators are intentionally designed to divert your attention away from the other issues, and to remind you to pay attention to your sanitation duties as a registered RV owner.

Under each sink there is a one way vent mounted high. make sure it is screwed on tight. Make sure traps are filled with water, and there is a waterless trap being installed on some units, mostly on the shower.

duh1
07-11-2019, 09:32 AM
The sensors never work. Just monitor and dump as necessary. Sometimes neglect.the grey and get.backup in shower, sensors never work.

wiredgeorge
07-11-2019, 10:14 AM
The under sink vents are also used in mobile homes. You can go to a big box home improvement store and buy an under sink vent that is FAR more effective than the cheapo one installed at your Keystone factory. Studor makes a good one:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Studor-1-1-2-in-Plastic-Mini-Air-Admittance-Vent/1081741