PDA

View Full Version : Receiver/Shank sizes

ADQ K9
06-13-2019, 11:46 AM
My truck has a 2.5 inch receiver. Just ordered a new 2.5 inch shank for my WDH. I did not like the play with the insert on the 2 inch shank that came with the hitch. I figure I can use the insert for lighter stuff that I tow that requires a 2 inch shank. When it comes to the TT though I want as little play as possible. I figure now there is at least 1/4 inch of play both vertical and horizontal. What amount of play is acceptable when I get the 2.5 inch shank and How can I reduce the play?
On another note I hear the newer trucks are coming with a 3 inch receiver. I have never seen a hitch set up go into a 3 inch reciever unless it is on a Class 8 tractor with a 24 K pintle hook.

Frank G
06-13-2019, 12:04 PM
I doubt there are clearance specifications for towing receivers, If you would like to reduce the clearance, add some metallic shims to the top and side of the shank, pop rivet into place. In the rust belt, leave in place for two or three years and a 10lb hammer will not move it.

DocP
06-13-2019, 01:24 PM
I had considered getting a 2.5 inch WDH shank for my Silverado, but was advised against it. The thinking was that if my truck broke down, it would be easier to find someone with a 2 inch receiver to tow the trailer from the scene. So, that's what I went with on my Equalizer setup, and I use the 2.5 to 2 inch reducer that came with the Silverado.

Frank G
06-13-2019, 06:02 PM
I had considered getting a 2.5 inch WDH shank for my Silverado, but was advised against it. The thinking was that if my truck broke down, it would be easier to find someone with a 2 inch receiver to tow the trailer from the scene. So, that's what I went with on my Equalizer setup, and I use the 2.5 to 2 inch reducer that came with the Silverado.

Your owners manual should give you the de-rated towing capacity when using the reducer sleeve.

Fishsizzle
06-13-2019, 07:41 PM
Your owners manual should give you the de-rated towing capacity when using the reducer sleeve.

That’s a new one. I’ll have to look

JRTJH
06-14-2019, 05:10 AM
In the Ford Towing Guide, in the table titled: Rear Step Bumper/Receiver Hitch Capacity, the 2.5" receiver (depending on vehicle it's mounted on) is rated up to 18,000 pounds. The note states, "With 2.5:2" receiver sleeve, the maximum trailer weight is reduced to 12,500 pounds."

cookinwitdiesel
06-14-2019, 07:10 AM
Eh, I bought a 2.5" Shank for my WDH when I had my trailer. Didn't want to deal with slop in the adapter. Took the new shank and hitch to my dealer, they swapped shanks for me for free. Swapped them back when I sold the hitch with the trailer.

New Curt 2.5" shank was like $105 on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T4O0BMK/

Fishsizzle
06-14-2019, 07:53 AM
In the Ford Towing Guide, in the table titled: Rear Step Bumper/Receiver Hitch Capacity, the 2.5" receiver (depending on vehicle it's mounted on) is rated up to 18,000 pounds. The note states, "With 2.5:2" receiver sleeve, the maximum trailer weight is reduced to 12,500 pounds."

Makes sense.

ADQ K9
06-15-2019, 09:49 AM
I ordered the shank from my local Curt dealer. According to my owners manual and the Ford Towing Guide I am good for 16K The hitch receiver is rated higher, The WDH set up is the Curt 17501 with 1500# spring bars rated at 15K towing. Call it overkill if you want. I got a good price on it and it was available locally. I will make the swap myself.

hornet28
06-15-2019, 08:30 PM
One way to take care of the slop is to run some weld beads along the top of the shank and grind to the fit you want

DcomTom
06-23-2019, 11:06 AM
The reducer I have came with instructions to not use it with a WD hitch..

66joej
06-23-2019, 12:11 PM
The reducer I have came with instructions to not use it with a WD hitch..

Have a reducer on the '18 Ram 3500 and can't see any mention of that in the manual or anywhere else. What truck do you have.

DcomTom
06-23-2019, 12:15 PM
I’ve got a Ford F-250. The reducer sleeve is not from Ford. It was made by Reese.

LHaven
06-23-2019, 01:52 PM

I don't know the mechanical details of these parts, but couldn't you put the 2.5 inch receiver on your Silverado and keep the reducing adapter in the trailer for use only when someone else may have to tow it?

DocP
06-23-2019, 02:13 PM
I don't know the mechanical details of these parts, but couldn't you put the 2.5 inch receiver on your Silverado and keep the reducing adapter in the trailer for use only when someone else may have to tow it?

You're right - thanks for the advice!