PDA

View Full Version : My Way of Removing a 5th Wheel Hitch

LZScout
06-11-2019, 06:52 PM
Having recently moved, I had to come up with a new method of removing my 5th wheel hitch from the bed of my short-bed F350 pickup. At my old residence, I had constructed a block and tackle arrangement attached to the rafters, using 1/8” cable and a boat winch attached to the wall. I never really liked the arrangement and worried a bit about the weight (approx 200 lbs) I was hanging from the rafters.

Another issue is the greater finished ceiling height in my new garage of 15’. At age 62, I’m not real thrilled about working that high off the ground. So I started looking for other options and this is what I came up with. I found an engine hoist I believed could reach into my truck bed even with the tailgate closed. I found one at Northern Tool:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200640934_200640934

The lift comes with an adjustable boom that can be extended in length at the price of reduced load capacity. As the stock version is extended, the weight capacity drops from 2000 lbs to 500 lbs at maximum length. This length was 16” too short to reach the point where I could lift the hitch vertically. I replaced the stock square tube with one that was 48” long. The extra length would reduce the weight capacity but I figured it would safely lift the 200 lb hitch. I’ve tested it and it seems to lift the hitch easily and seems very stable without any tendency to tip forward, even when I apply additional weight. The new tube required new holes to be drilled that matched the ones in the stock tube. A little glossy black Rustoleum spray paint and it was good to go.

I initially set the lift up in the rear of the vehicle with the tailgate closed. I use the lift to raise the hitch clear of the attachment points, then drive the truck forward enough to lower the tailgate. After the tailgate is lowered, I pull the truck out from under the hitch. Alternately, I can simply pull the hitch out of the truck as the lift is on wheels. I then lower the hitch onto a rolling cart that I made to move it around the garage.

Here are a couple of pictures of the lift in action.

As you can see, the “Load Leveler” that comes with the Strongway Engine Hoist keeps the hitch nice and level. Four sets of chains and attachment points came with the load leveler. I did have to purchase 4 - 12” lengths of suitable chain and 4 removable links to lengthen than 4 chains to reach the load leveler. The only other thing I did was remove 3 links of the chain that is attached to the hook that connects the boom to the leveler.

Hopefully, this can work for others.

Lantz

cookinwitdiesel
06-11-2019, 07:08 PM
Very nice! I had wondered about using an engine hoist to lift out the hitch as an alternative to a ceiling mounted option. This would work best for me since my garage (really an old horse stable that got enclosed) is detached and not terribly useful for vehicles - ton of tools and equipment stored there though.

cayovelez
06-11-2019, 07:31 PM
You could have gotten an Andersen Superhitch and your 5 year old could have removed it.

LZScout
06-11-2019, 07:37 PM
You could have gotten an Andersen Superhitch and your 5 year old could have removed it.

You can correct me if I’m wrong, but I didn’t think Anderson offered a sliding 5th wheel hitch, something necessary in my short bed pickup. Plus, I’m really happy with my Pullrite Superglide Hitch. To each , his own.

cookinwitdiesel
06-11-2019, 07:39 PM
You could have gotten an Andersen Superhitch and your 5 year old could have removed it.He has a slider, Anderson has nothing for him

Snoking
06-11-2019, 07:40 PM
My solution:

cayovelez
06-11-2019, 07:47 PM
I have a Chevy Silverado 3500 short bed and get about 80-85 degrees of turning with my Andersen. My buddy had a very expensive sliding hitch and I convinced him into getting an Andersen and he won't go back to a slider. Both of our trucks are short bed.

Fishsizzle
06-11-2019, 08:24 PM
Exactly how I remove mine only it has a ready made “pin” with an eye on it. Just lock it in the jaws and use the picker to lift and pull out

LZScout
06-11-2019, 08:56 PM
I actually created this thread to show my method of removing a 5Th Wheel Hitch. I really don’t want to get into a debate about the different brands of 5th wheel hitches. If you’ve got another method of removing and storing your hitch, feel free to contribute.

cayovelez
06-11-2019, 09:08 PM
My apologies. I was not trying to be a jerk about it. LZScout sorry.

rbrdriver
06-12-2019, 12:23 AM
That is pretty much how I take mine out, with an engine hoist cherry picker. We had to modify our extension tube also to reach the hitch.

Laredo Tugger
06-12-2019, 05:29 AM
There has recently been a thread on here about removing the hitch with the the trailer jacks,meaning leave the hitch attached to the trailer and release the pins/pucks to hang the hitch on the trailer front. Noted was no foreseeable damage to the hitch or trailer. With proper weather protection (if needed) and security, this sounds like a welcome option verses buying a special jack assembly.
Most of the time my hitch stays in the truck under a tonneau cover. If I ever need to remove it I will just use the trailer for short term use of the truck bed.
RMc

AbHDToyHauler
06-12-2019, 06:56 AM
My solution:

I have the same hoist and similar setup . I ran support steel to two legs against wall and a long piece up in attic across 6 trusses. I bought an adjustable cart for putting table saws and shop tools on with wheels. I lift hitch up. Drive out from under. Lower onto cart. I made my stairs into shop hinged (space under stairs had been wasted anyways) and I push hitch under landing for storage. Drop stairs down. Good to go. During summer I will leave hitch in most of time as it is cover with my box lid.

JRTJH
06-12-2019, 08:19 AM
LZscout (the OP) modified his engine hoist by adding a beam extension to the hoist. His works for his application and is one way to accomplish the task of lifting his hitch.

My only suggestion for anyone considering modifying their engine hoist beam length is to make sure you don't extend it beyond the C/L of the C/G. In other words, don't make the beam length too long or when you pick up the hitch, you may find that as soon as you take your hands off the hoist, it topples and the hitch falls back into your truck bed or, you hit a bump or pebble, the hitch starts swinging and crashes to the floor. Stay safe and make sure your engine hoist is stable and won't tip beyond the center of gravity of the hoist base !!!!!

cookinwitdiesel
06-12-2019, 08:30 AM
Hanging a weight lifting plate off a peg on the main stand can help with balance too when the boom is extended and carrying the hitch.

JRTJH
06-12-2019, 08:55 AM
Hanging a weight lifting plate off a peg on the main stand can help with balance too when the boom is extended and carrying the hitch.

There are a number of ways to compensate for "too much weight" beyond the C/G. My point was to caution those who might think, "I'll do that too" without considering the implications. Just a couple days ago a crane in Dallas fell. That wasn't supposed to happen, but for "some reason" the balancing act didn't go as planned. Except for size of the crane, the same thing can happen to a Harbor Freight engine hoist with a fifth wheel hitch "hung too far past the wheels"......

Mikendebbie
06-12-2019, 08:58 AM
I had a heavy hitch a few years ago - but my youngest son was still living at home and with both of us on the job - hitch removal was easy. He moved out and I decided we needed to switch to travel trailers because I was not going to fight the heavy hitch by myself. When we bought the current rig - I had read about the Demco Recon - and I can take it out and put it in by myself without risking a hernia or back injury! Don't get me wrong - it is not "light as a feather" - I take my time and think about the lift before I tackle it and after 18 months I am happy with my choice.

MN-Clark
06-13-2019, 04:06 AM
I built a mount for an 500 pound capacity electric winch from angle and plate steel secured from a local shop. A little welding, grinding and painting and I mounted it to the 2x8 ceiling joists with 8, 6" lag bolts. Had to add a longer control cable on the winch though.

Hang the hitch from 2, 1500 pound capacity nylon lifting straps, mount the rails in the truck bed and back the truck under it.

Takes me about 20 minutes to install or remove the hitch. All the hitch parts are set on a dolly and can easily be rolled anywhere in the garage for storing it.

Works for me.2224822249

SDDave
06-14-2019, 10:26 AM
Didn't the crane fall over in high winds?

dadnjesse
06-14-2019, 03:52 PM
My solution:

This is exactly what I use for my B&W Companion

falcondan95705
06-16-2019, 05:46 PM
Anderson! Did this22296

LZScout
06-17-2019, 05:18 AM
Anderson! Did this22296

Sorry about your window Falcondan, that was what I worried about when I first bought my fifth wheel and the main reason I bought the slider hitch. Some can get away without using one but I’m never that lucky. Murphy is always sitting on my shoulder.

falcondan95705
06-17-2019, 06:33 AM
Anderson! Did this22296
Thanks..since then I used a slider. Contacted Andersen. They said they would help me with my deductible... then nothing.. they did not help. Anyway, went to a long bed dually..

Snoking
06-17-2019, 06:36 AM
Sorry about your window Falcondan, that was what I worried about when I first bought my fifth wheel and the main reason I bought the slider hitch. Some can get away without using one but I’m never that lucky. Murphy is always sitting on my shoulder.

It was more than the window. Truck was dented and trailer cap damaged.

https://www.turbodieselregister.com/threads/forget-what-i-said-about-andersen-hitch.254427/#post-2464178

travelin texans
06-17-2019, 08:34 AM
Anderson! Did this22296

First off I'm not an Anderson fan! I receive no compensation of any kind from them!
Secondly the Anderson hitch DID NOT do that, the driver of the truck did!
Not trying to be a smart a##, just my opinion!
But if you have a newer model 5er with the notched front corners, you apparently were at greater than 90 degrees in a short bed truck to do that damage & could've happened with any brand of non sliding hitch at that angle.
As to Anderson paying ANYTHING, I'd suspect they got a good laugh reading/listening to your request.

rbrdriver
06-17-2019, 02:02 PM
Sounded like "operator error" to me too...…...

Snoking
06-17-2019, 07:16 PM
Sounded like "operator error" to me too...…...

Did you read story from TDR site. Outfit that sold him the hitch garrantied he would not hit the cab with his trailer.

travelin texans
06-17-2019, 08:06 PM
Still had to be at more than 90 degrees so should've been looking closely or have a spotter especially when backing from the blind side.
Was trying to say nicely the same thing, operator error!
If this is the worst thing to happen as a rv owner he'll be very fortunate! No one was hurt, other than pride, & the truck can be repaired.

DucBill
06-20-2019, 07:31 AM
Lzscout this is how I removed my hitch, had sliders (2) had Anderson, bad back, empty wallet = no hitch, no hassle.22351

GBR
06-20-2019, 07:47 AM
I have a short bed F350 and the same lift was purchased a few weeks ago. Purchased from e-trailer a pin with a ring to place in the hitch and as an attachment point for the lift pin hook. I needed to move the hitch manually a few inches forward and have the tail gate up in order to hook up. I have my spouse open the tail gate as I slowly work the hitch out of the truck. Increasing the arm length would be very nice but I think I will try a longer chain first to see if it works and/or creating a way of altering the chain angle in the initial lift from the rails. Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.

oldcrow1
06-20-2019, 07:54 AM
I have always just pulled the four pins in the bed of the truck that hold down the fifth wheel and lift the hitch out of the bed with the jacks of the fifth wheel and drive the truck out. When hitching I lift the hitch up high enough to back the truck under the hitch,lower and connect the four pins.

BSHGTO
06-20-2019, 10:08 AM
Anderson! Did this22296

I think you should call Andersen and tell them their hitch caused you to break your back window cause you were to lazy to get out and check clearances when backing, and you want them to pay for it. I would be interested in their response. I would read the installation and use instructions first. Not sure your going to like their answer.

goodellj
06-20-2019, 11:02 AM
Great idea. There is a similar hoist on sale right now at Harbor Freight Tools, but you may have to buy the leveler separately.

Local150
06-20-2019, 12:20 PM
I still lift mine in and out manually,, but not sure how much longer I can do that

Halcyon
06-20-2019, 01:25 PM
Does this mean that this probably won’t work for my long bed 2500 Chevy, even with the extension?

falcondan95705
06-21-2019, 06:31 AM
I think you should call Andersen and tell them their hitch caused you to break your back window cause you were to lazy to get out and check clearances when backing, and you want them to pay for it. I would be interested in their response. I would read the installation and use instructions first. Not sure your going to like their answer.

I guess you did not see their video of a five foot shortbed being hitched to their hitch. Read the manual?. What would YOU like to know?. Dealer guaranteed it would NEVER make contact. LAZY?. Really? You dont know me so maybe you are just new to this and not knowing me is an ignorant statement. I did call Anderson. Since you are so interested, i guess you're writing a book, they asked if their was anything they could do to help. I asked if theyd help with my deductible, crickets... So there ya go gto... The info i posted was to help others... i bet i have been doing this longer than you, so you're forgiven. I dont know why you responded to this other than to be a S.A.. Since, i have a Laramie Longhorn Dually, aisin, auto level, 4:10 its all under the bridge anyway.. I have to get my "Lazy" self up and get the rv to a tire center.. Take care.

Local150
06-21-2019, 11:36 AM
I guess you did not see their video of a five foot shortbed being hitched to their hitch. Read the manual?. What would YOU like to know?. Dealer guaranteed it would NEVER make contact. LAZY?. Really? You dont know me so maybe you are just new to this and not knowing me is an ignorant statement. I did call Anderson. Since you are so interested, i guess you're writing a book, they asked if their was anything they could do to help. I asked if theyd help with my deductible, crickets... So there ya go gto... The info i posted was to help others... i bet i have been doing this longer than you, so you're forgiven. I dont know why you responded to this other than to be a S.A.. Since, i have a Laramie Longhorn Dually, aisin, auto level, 4:10 its all under the bridge anyway.. I have to get my "Lazy" self up and get the rv to a tire center.. Take care.
That's why they call them accidents, no need to ridicule him for a mistake, sh , as far as calling the company, I don't blame him a bit

LZScout
06-21-2019, 01:51 PM
I’m sorry some have tried to turn this into a debate for their favorite hitches and even sorrier some have attacked others for simply relaying what they have experienced. Only the individual can decide whether they are happy with their choice, no ones comments will sway their decision once it’s been made. And before someone jumps on me, I’m sure there are exceptions to this. IMO, there is no acceptable reason to verbally attack anyone in the forum by calling then lazy or anything else.

Now if I may get back to the topic at hand and respond to the person who asked about the feasibility of using my adaptation for a long bed truck. Again, as others have warned, you have to be careful how much you extend the boom length while also considering the weight of the hitch. In my situation, the lift point of the boom is at most 4-6 “ beyond reach of the outriggers. With the amount of weight I’m lifting, it hasn’t created any instability. If you can’t make the reach from the end of the long bed truck, it may be possible to reach the hitch from the side and jockey the hitch out. I haven’t tried it yet though.

JRTJH
06-21-2019, 04:23 PM
I’m sorry some have tried to turn this into a debate for their favorite hitches and even sorrier some have attacked others for simply relaying what they have experienced. Only the individual can decide whether they are happy with their choice, no ones comments will sway their decision once it’s been made. And before someone jumps on me, I’m sure there are exceptions to this. IMO, there is no acceptable reason to verbally attack anyone in the forum by calling then lazy or anything else.

Now if I may get back to the topic at hand and respond to the person who asked about the feasibility of using my adaptation for a long bed truck. Again, as others have warned, you have to be careful how much you extend the boom length while also considering the weight of the hitch. In my situation, the lift point of the boom is at most 4-6 “ beyond reach of the outriggers. With the amount of weight I’m lifting, it hasn’t created any instability. If you can’t make the reach from the end of the long bed truck, it may be possible to reach the hitch from the side and jockey the hitch out. I haven’t tried it yet though.

It might also be possible to "shorten the reach distance" by removing the tail gate. That would get the hoist and boom about 18-20 inches closer to the hitch.

CaptnJohn
06-21-2019, 05:37 PM
I never remove the hitch in my TV, the dealership does every 3 years when I buy a new one. My wife has a new Ford Edge and I have a 2015 250 as a hauler. Trading the 2016 f350 this time. This one and the new dually are daily drivers, hitch and all.

BSHGTO
06-22-2019, 05:02 AM

Yep, just erks me when some one wants another pay for their mistakes. This is born from being a former business owner. I guess it never crossed you mind to get out and check clearances or even look out your back window while backing to a tight angle. Nope wait for to break and blame the guy that sold you the Brooklyn Bridge. You do know even with a long bed you can bust out your back window in a real tight spot on UNEVEN ground it changes the clearances a lot as the cap moves forward when you go into the dip but all that experience has told you that. Or you could just blame Dodge and expect them to pay for it for saying "90 degrees sure with a long bed". I have another bridge you might be interested in, cheap in good condition to.

ctbruce
06-23-2019, 06:59 PM
While I understand your frustration and appreciate it, this post, while straying, is not a problem. Most of the threads on the forum stray from time to time. When they get too far off in the weeds, one of the moderators will direct it back on topic. Part of what makes this a unique and valuable forum is the feeling to be able to add what you want.

It's like a smorgasbord. If you like brussel sprouts, load your plate up. If you don't, pass them by and leave them for the next guy. They may love them.

We dont delete posts except in extreme cases. This is far from extreme.

jkmcbride54
06-24-2019, 04:58 PM
I have been lifting my hitch in and out for the past year at 64 years young it getting to be a challenge.:nonono: I've been walking right under my winch that I use for lifting my mower and cleaning my deer.:banghead:
Now I WILL be using it to lift my hitch in and out of my bed. Thanks!

Snoking
06-24-2019, 05:47 PM
I have been lifting my hitch in and out for the past year at 64 years young it getting to be a challenge.:nonono: I've been walking right under my winch that I use for lifting my mower and cleaning my deer.:banghead:
Now I WILL be using it to lift my hitch in and out of my bed. Thanks!

;););)

Chris