PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizing Fifth Wheel

penra
06-10-2019, 08:42 PM
We are getting the Montana 3120RL, upgrading from TT. I see some different looking setups on the fifth wheels around the park and wondering what I should invest in.
1. Tripod under the king pin
2. Cross bars from the lower part of the jacks to the underbody.

What is recommended and good for stabilizing? We will be parked mostly lengthy stays so stable is worth the time and money.

thanks to all for your contributions!

spicercars
06-11-2019, 04:18 AM
The JT strong-arm system is probably the best if it's in you budget. I use a tripod in the front and x chocks on the wheels and it works good for me.

rhagfo
06-11-2019, 04:40 AM
The JT strong-arm system is probably the best if it's in you budget. I use a tripod in the front and x chocks on the wheels and it works good for me.

I had the tripod and it didn't do much, caught a sale at CW on line and got JT Strongarms for $184, 5er is now like a rock!

Mroe67
06-11-2019, 04:55 AM
On our 3120RL we have 6 hydraulic stabilizing jacks, don't see a need for a tripod jack, as it seems pretty stable as is

Fishsizzle
06-11-2019, 05:08 AM
Yeah, looks like the strong arms are not made for 6 point hydraulic systems.

Ours is solid with the 6 point as well. No tripod, no chocks.

OP, what does your Montana have?

jsb5717
06-11-2019, 05:11 AM
"Stabilized" is a pretty subjective notion. There will always be movement. For me "stabilized" is when the amout of movement is less than a level that bothers me.

Our 4-point level-up system is pretty solid all by itselt but still a little movement when someone is up in the bedroom. That bothers me. The JT Strongarms did it for us. Feels great and no additional large piece of equipment to haul around and set up.

penra
06-11-2019, 07:42 AM
Yeah, looks like the strong arms are not made for 6 point hydraulic systems.

Ours is solid with the 6 point as well. No tripod, no chocks.

OP, what does your Montana have?

It does have six hydraulic jacks. I have X chocks so maybe I'm ok.

travelin texans
06-11-2019, 08:24 AM
It does have six hydraulic jacks. I have X chocks so maybe I'm ok.
We had the 6 point & found if you add blocks under each jack to reduce the length they must extend helps the stable feel as much as any add-ons.
Totally agree the tripod was a waste of $$, it was bulky, heavy, didn't help much & never found a good storage spot while traveling. Spend the $$ on the JT system if you need more stable.

Ksupaul
06-11-2019, 05:22 PM
We had the 6 point & found if you add blocks under each jack to reduce the length they must extend helps the stable feel as much as any add-ons.
Totally agree the tripod was a waste of $$, it was bulky, heavy, didn't help much & never found a good storage spot while traveling. Spend the $$ on the JT system if you need more stable.

Never thought of it that way. Makes perfect sense!

penra
06-11-2019, 05:27 PM

Good point!

jsmith948
06-12-2019, 06:53 AM
On our Cougar, we used x-chocks and Bal stabilizers, plus a home-built diagonal stabilizer bar from the bottom of one rear scissor jack to the top of the other - very solid.

Our Laredo came with the Ground Control 3.0. We don't use the x-chocks anymore as the auto level removes a good bit of weight from the tires rendering the x-chocks less effective. We do still use the Bal stabilizers on the landing gear and we place rubber chocks fore and aft under the tires. Very stable.

penra
06-12-2019, 07:44 AM
Has anyone used the Anderson Jack Blocks? https://andersenhitches.com/Products/36086cs--trailer-jack-block-6-pack.aspx

JRTJH
06-12-2019, 08:11 AM
Has anyone used the Anderson Jack Blocks? https://andersenhitches.com/Products/36086cs--trailer-jack-block-6-pack.aspx

I do the same thing with 6x6x6 cedar blocks. Mine didn't cost $269, but they aren't red either, so maybe, for some applications, it's the way to go ?????

As for durability, on lighter trailers in warm weather, they probably will be reliable. On heavy trailers, in freezing weather, I don't know if the plastic would get brittle and break with movement (think wind during storage and walking inside the trailer during use). Long term reliability would be my concern.

roadglide
06-12-2019, 04:37 PM
I use my tripod always at 3000 pounds tongue weight the tripod takes weight off the front and it stabilizes the fifth wheel it works for me. My tripod is Is homemade And will hold the camper with the jacks up you need to put a lot of pressure on the tongue for them to work.

hankaye
06-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Howdy All;

What I got for mine is The Steadyfast system;
http://www.steadyfast.com/index.html

Been holding my 5er steady for 5+ years now.

hank

cookinwitdiesel
06-12-2019, 04:48 PM
We have 6 point electric jacks on our Solitude S-Class (similar to a Montana High Country) and I was extremely impressed with

a) the auto leveling - that was just awesome
b) how stable it is with JUST the 6 jacks and wheels on the ground. I haven't even put the x-chocks in place yet

CaptnJohn
06-12-2019, 07:54 PM
The front living room seems to have less movement than when we had front bedroom units. Hardly noticed with the hydraulic 6 point system. After adding Snap Caps even less noticeable.

donajohn
06-16-2019, 07:27 AM
Do a web search for "Wayne's Stabilizer". $27-ish each. Use one in front or back, one on side. Position under a fixed point like the frame (not bumper). Can usually find a suitable spot. I use it any time we're in one spot for more than a couple days. Easy to set up.

bfisher003
06-16-2019, 07:39 AM
On our 3120RL we have 6 hydraulic stabilizing jacks, don't see a need for a tripod jack, as it seems pretty stable as is

We have a 2019 3121RL and with the six auto level jacks down it is very stable. We see no need for anything additional.

Fuzion 369
06-16-2019, 07:57 AM
Ours is very stable with 6 point hydraulic as well

Ccsluke
06-16-2019, 08:02 AM
We have an Impact 361 toy-hauler with six hydraulic jacks. Rear jacks are right behind the axel. No supports (jacks) under the toy hauler. We added the fifth wheel tripod and it helped somewhat. The main help with stability came when we installed the steps that fold down and rest on the ground (two entrance door, thus two sets of steps) and a double electric scissor jack at the rear of the 5’er. She’s solid as rock now. Tripod benefit is iffy but steps and rear jack are a must IMO!

jimborokz
06-18-2019, 04:32 PM

I have them and love em. I got them because I raised my jacks to stop catching them on steep drive exits and curbs. They are very stable and easier to store than 6bys. You can get good stabilization just using four in the rear and save a good chunk of $. Most of the movement is associated with the suspension and the rear jacks take most of that movement away. I usually use 14x14x3 blocks under the landing gear and the Anderson's on the rear 4 jacks.
Bonus...you can carry water in them too.:cool::lol: