PDA

View Full Version : Proper Towing speed.

mavrick8019
06-10-2019, 08:08 AM
I have 2004 5th wheel mountaineer that is 29.7 feet long and weighs around 10k pounds according to the gentleman I bought it from. I have a 2014 Chevy 2500 LTZ with the 6.1 gas engine. I was wondering what is the speed everybody tows there camper. People I have spoken to at the campgrounds tell me no faster than 65. Others have told me they go around 75 to keep up with traffic.

What is every ones opinions.

Thanks
Phil

Mongoose9400
06-10-2019, 08:17 AM
I tow 70-75 mph. Trailer tires are rated for the speed and my truck has no issues sustaining the speed without sacrificing mpg. I leave plenty of following distance and adjust the speed as necessary for weather, traffic, etc. Out West most of my towing is straight and flat.

Laredo Tugger
06-10-2019, 08:44 AM
When I towed with a 6.2L gasser and a 27' TT I was at 70-75 mph.
Now with a 35' FW and a 3500 SRW diesel I cruise 68-69 in the truck lane. I find that speed is what most the trucks are traveling and it gives me time to plan a pass around a slower truck or move over for on ramp traffic. My TV will add speed very smoothly if I need it,but the "pucker factor" (not sure if you will find that on the "terminology" page or not?) does kick in around 80 mph. The extra speed/power is no problem for passing or grades.
On most 3 lane highways I travel the middle lane to avoid the slower trucks and on ramp traffic.
RMc

notanlines
06-10-2019, 08:55 AM
We tow at a weight of a little over 30K and found that 62 meets our needs. 80? Kindly stay away from us as best you can. Your kind scares me.

Scott902
06-10-2019, 08:59 AM
I tow based on the conditions and the speed limit. Windy/raining, slow down. Nice day, go with traffic/speed limit. 110km/hr is the max around here, just under 70mph.

Laredo Tugger
06-10-2019, 09:07 AM
Learn to read there Jimmy!!
Cruise in the slow lane under 70. On occasion I will get up speed to pass a truck or open the on ramp lane.
Not a regular thing I like to do but it's a thing called "traffic flow".
RMc

sourdough
06-10-2019, 09:07 AM
I tow at 65mph or less. Generally stay at 65. I have no issues with "blocking" traffic even though the speed limits in our part of the country are 75-80 mph. Towing a large RV at 75+ is just dangerous. Can I tow that fast? Assuredly. Can I handle the rig running down the road at that speed? Absolutely. Can I avoid that guy that pulls in front of me at that speed? Absolutely not. Can you make a quick evasive maneuver to avoid catastrophe? Same answer as the previous.

When pulling a rig of any size you aren't in a sports car; even if the tires are rated for 200mph - you're equipment, the truck nor you are. In an emergency situation everything happens in slow motion with a big trailer behind you; you aren't going to stop on a dime....or a football field. You aren't going to quickly change lanes or anything else. IMO driving 70+ with a large trailer just endangers yourself, your family and everyone else on the road because there is no possible way you can react safely to an emergency situation happening in front of you. JMO/YMMV I'm sure.

Logan X
06-10-2019, 09:25 AM
I tow at 65mph or less. In California, the speed limit when towing is 55mph. I believe most ST trailer tires are speed rated for 65 mph max.

mavrick8019
06-10-2019, 09:25 AM
Thank you for your quick replay

Pull Toy
06-10-2019, 09:36 AM
60 to 62 works fine for me.

One blow-out at speed, or panic stop will convince the non believers!

Good Luck

linux3
06-10-2019, 10:15 AM
We tow at a weight of a little over 30K and found that 62 meets our needs. 80? Kindly stay away from us as best you can. Your kind scares me.
I so agree.
After all time is meaningless.
I will do 65 if pressed but I'm not happy.
I get much better MPG at around 65 or less and we just are not in that much of a hurry.

Tbos
06-10-2019, 11:06 AM
65 or less. As stated previously many of the TT tires are rated 65. My current ones are rated for higher but I still prefer to keep it at 65 or below.

travelin texans
06-10-2019, 11:10 AM
My Duramax had its sweet spot at 1700rpm which was about 68 mph on the flats so that's where I set the cruise. I upgraded to disc brakes & although I couldn't stop on a dime, but could on a nickel & for sure on a quarter.
As mentioned when there's multiple lanes I was chose the middle, that avoids the idiots at the on/off ramps & gives others lanes on either side to go around.
I've met & talked to folks that 55 is max speed while towing & IMO unless that's the posted speed for towing that's TOO slow & more dangerous for everyone.
As far as "proper towing speed" that's totally up to each individual doing the towing, there's nothing written about it, except in California.

NH_Bulldog
06-10-2019, 11:27 AM
We prefer 65 mph for the fuel mileage, but occasionally push upwards of 70 or 75 depending on whether traffic and road conditions dictate the need. Everything handles great and the truck has power to spare. I just don't like watch the fuel gauge go down that fast, so we try to run at 65 whenever possible, even when some of our highways are posted to 70 mph.

SummitPond
06-10-2019, 02:07 PM
We tow at 55 mph, give or take a few. What's interesting is on our most recent trip (FL to SD to ME) we averaged anywhere between 38 mph and 53 mph (total daily driving distance over total daily trip time, i.e., leave campground to arrive at next campground). Our usual average, and the one I use for planing, is 45 mph. This seems to nail how long we will be on the road any particular day. As others have said, we are not in a rush. If we are tired or see something interesting along the way, we'll stop. But I recognize others do not necessarily have this luxury.

Laredo Tugger
06-10-2019, 02:08 PM
I agree with all on safety. That's always first and foremost. I am by far not a "speed demon" and because of the information posted on these threads, I have actually slowed it down to a speed that I feel maintains a flow with traffic around me.
Yes, while most SUVs, (empty)pick-up trucks and sedans are doing 80 mph plus on our nations interstates, I am doing my best to drive a safe speed while towing and not be part of a problem on the road, but part of the solution. So sometimes I get in another lane and get up to some speed to allow someone onto the highway at an on ramp or get around a slower vehicle. But that is always short lived. No I am not going to stay behind someone doing 60, I don't think any of us would,but I do "work" to maintain a comfortable speed that helps me travel at a reasonable pace.
I will add that we are lucky on here to have the "knowledge base" of folks who have towed many different trailers over many years. And I do respect their input. Your's too Jimmy.
RMc

ken56
06-10-2019, 04:21 PM
Know what your tires are rated for. Drive at a speed that you are comfortable with. I do 65 with tires rated for 80mph. That is where I am comfortable no matter what traffic is doing. They can go around me. You drive your vehicle and I'll drive mine. Don't wreck me and I won't wreck you.

WestCoastWanderer
06-10-2019, 08:53 PM
Never faster than 65. 60 to 62 is right where the truck likes it. I agree with taking the middle lane when there are three or more, but in most cases you will find me cruising in the slow lane minding my own business. No hurries - no worries.

FlyingAroundRV
06-10-2019, 11:46 PM
We tow at 60-65 but no faster than that. Our (current) tires are rated for 65 so we keep to that. Also, I find that my rig is nice and stable at that speed. I have gone faster on occasion, but find that the rig starts to feel a little loose at higher speeds and the fuel consumption goes up.
As for other traffic, as much as possible we keep to the interstates so there's always opportunities for other traffic to pass. When we're on country roads we keep an eye on the following traffic and pull off when conditions permit to let others pass.

ChuckS
06-11-2019, 07:13 AM
You will most likely find that between 62 to 65 you will get your best fuel mileage and your RV tires will last much longer.

Over 70 mph on E or less tires is just asking for troubles. Mine are Chinese G rated tires .. I tow exclusively at 62.

The ST tires might advertise speed ratings of 80 mph but the shredded tires along side the road say otherwise.

Slow down and enjoy and leave yourself more time to react to road situations.

66joej
06-11-2019, 10:56 AM
With the new truck I set the cruise at 100kph (63mph) and the drive is relaxed and we arrive at our destination a lot less tired than with the 1/2 ton where using CC was out of the question. YMMV

CrazyCain
06-11-2019, 12:42 PM
Max 65 even with my little trailer..just feels right

FlyingAroundRV
06-11-2019, 12:50 PM
I'm reminded, looking through the answers here that there are a lot of different situations that people are in. I have the luxury of taking my time going from A to B because I'm retired. Not everyone on here has that luxury. I'm also aware of the differences in peoples's leave arrangements, especially in the US compared to here in Australia.
In australia, everyone get 4 weeks annual leave each year from the first day of any job. This is a federally mandated allowance that was a benefit of strong union representation. I'm aware that this is not the case in the US and some people may only have a few days leave at a time and so they need to get to where they're going as quickly as possible, hence driving their rig at higher speeds.
So while I and some others here have the time to dawdle along the highway, we should also consider those with very limited leisure time who need to "get 'er done" quickly. This seems to be even more true these days with the way employees are hard pressed to be "productive".

Laredo Tugger
06-11-2019, 01:19 PM
I'm reminded, looking through the answers here that there are a lot of different situations that people are in. I have the luxury of taking my time going from A to B because I'm retired. Not everyone on here has that luxury. I'm also aware of the differences in peoples's leave arrangements, especially in the US compared to here in Australia.
In australia, everyone get 4 weeks annual leave each year from the first day of any job. This is a federally mandated allowance that was a benefit of strong union representation. I'm aware that this is not the case in the US and some people may only have a few days leave at a time and so they need to get to where they're going as quickly as possible, hence driving their rig at higher speeds.
So while I and some others here have the time to dawdle along the highway, we should also consider those with very limited leisure time who need to "get 'er done" quickly. This seems to be even more true these days with the way employees are hard pressed to be "productive".

Good for Australia. You have the luxury of establishing "strong union representation" and keeping it supported. One of the benefits of being an "island" I suppose.Here in the good ole USA we have a labor force to our south that has eroded our union trades and benefits. That's a fact anyway you read it.
Four weeks of VAC on day one will remain a pipe dream in this country for a long,long time.
So yes,"life in the fast lane" has it's bearing on our lifestyle.
I will mark that one "True" on the test.
RMc

FlyingAroundRV
06-11-2019, 06:07 PM
Good for Australia. You have the luxury of establishing "strong union representation" and keeping it supported. One of the benefits of being an "island" I suppose.Here in the good ole USA we have a labor force to our south that has eroded our union trades and benefits. That's a fact anyway you read it.
Four weeks of VAC on day one will remain a pipe dream in this country for a long,long time.
So yes,"life in the fast lane" has it's bearing on our lifestyle.
I will mark that one "True" on the test.
RMc
At the risk of hijacking the thread, union representation hasn't only been eroded due to cheap overseas labor, but also because people vote for politicians who legislate against the labor unions.

During my working career, I watched in dismay as politicians all over the developed world vilified unions and unionists at the behest of the politicians donors, then used the anti-union sentiment they had fomented, to essentially outlaw the unions. It happened here in Oz also, but not to the same extent as it happened in the US.

As I said, this is in danger of hijacking the thread and straying into politics, so best left there.

sourdough
06-11-2019, 06:33 PM
At the risk of hijacking the thread, union representation hasn't only been eroded due to cheap overseas labor, but also because people vote for politicians who legislate against the labor unions.

During my working career, I watched in dismay as politicians all over the developed world vilified unions and unionists at the behest of the politicians donors, then used the anti-union sentiment they had fomented, to essentially outlaw the unions. It happened here in Oz also, but not to the same extent as it happened in the US.

As I said, this is in danger of hijacking the thread and straying into politics, so best left there.

We don't want to stray into unions/politics. I have been involved in both in my life, have strong feelings about them, but.....they aren't RV related. Let's resume our regular programming....:)

msubobcats
06-13-2019, 08:07 AM
Our tires are rated for 65 mph so that is our max... Would much rather be safe than sorry...

jsmith948
06-14-2019, 06:47 AM
If we leave our house in California's central valley and drive 373 miles @57 mph to our usual lay over point in Mountain Gate, Ca., our travel time will be 6.5 hrs. The towing speed in California is 55 mph.

If we travel the same route @65 mph, our travel time will be 5.7 hrs. In both scenarios I have ignored stops for fuel, bathroom breaks, etc. as they would be the same in either case.

So...why not drive a little faster and get there 48 minutes sooner?

Well...getting there sooner might be okay, but, is it worth the risks? I will be the first to admit that there are a lot of folks out there running well beyond the legal speed limit. But, if you are stopped, the officer will tie you up for at least 15 to 30 minutes. So now you are only going to "save" 15 minutes. The fines and fees, depending on the County, will be well over $200 and you will receive a point against your license which will result in an increase in your insurance premiums.

I drove the big rigs for many, many years and was ALWAYS in a hurry. Now, I just don't see the point in taking a chance to save a few minutes. So, if I'm holding you up, feel free to pass when it is safe to do so. JMHO:D

CaptnJohn
06-14-2019, 09:24 AM
I'm retired and never need to hurry. My LR G and new, rated at 75. On the interstate I pull at 65 - 68. No problem going around those at 62-65. Those running 50-55 are legal but asking for an accident. If not confident running at least 62 take the back roads for the safety of every one.

jsmith948
06-14-2019, 10:17 AM
I'm retired and never need to hurry. My LR G and new, rated at 75. On the interstate I pull at 65 - 68. No problem going around those at 62-65. Those running 50-55 are legal but asking for an accident. If not confident running at least 62 take the back roads for the safety of every one.Well sir...nothing in my post referencing my level of confidence.
Lots of folks on the highways with a level of confidence that exceeds their level of skill.
So, in your opinion, those of us who choose to drive the speed limit are somehow unsafe? Don't buy it.

CaptnJohn
06-14-2019, 11:43 AM
Well sir...nothing in my post referencing my level of confidence.
Lots of folks on the highways with a level of confidence that exceeds their level of skill.
So, in your opinion, those of us who choose to drive the speed limit are somehow unsafe? Don't buy it.

Your driving skills may be great but comprehension???
It was stated driving on interstates where the speed limit is 70-80. At 60 or so it is safe at 50-55 it becomes a hazard unless traffic is negligible.

66joej
06-14-2019, 12:08 PM
It was stated driving on interstates where the speed limit is 70-80. At 60 or so it is safe at 50-55 it becomes a hazard unless traffic is negligible.

I think jsmith948 was referencing the speed limit towing in California.
We missed the sign going from AZ to CA and were stopped doing 62 mph. No citation but a firm warning.

CaptnJohn
06-14-2019, 04:59 PM

I think jsmith948 was referencing the speed limit towing in California.

We missed the sign going from AZ to CA and were stopped doing 62 mph. No citation but a firm warning.

Got it now. The CA speed limit is different than in the rest of the country, like almost everything else there. [emoji482]

Javi
06-15-2019, 03:27 AM
Got it now. The CA speed limit is different than in the rest of the country, like almost everything else there. [emoji482]

Wasn't that long ago that Texas had a 3 page list of PROPER SPEEDS posted at the border and if I remember correctly 55 MPH was the towing limit with ANY trailer.

Bisjoe
06-15-2019, 05:35 AM
Here in WA towing and total weight over 10,000 the maximum speed limit is 60, unless posted as less. Also, it’s illegal to be in the left lane if there are 3 or more lanes, unless there is a left exit that you are taking.

travelin texans
06-15-2019, 08:30 AM
Here in WA towing and total weight over 10,000 the maximum speed limit is 60, unless posted as less. Also, it’s illegal to be in the left lane if there are 3 or more lanes, unless there is a left exit that you are taking.
Hate to start something here, but since our son & family moved to Wash & I have to say I've never been anywhere else that had worse, less courteous drivers than around the Seattle area. I lost count as to the number of times I was shown I was #1 with the middle finger & I was not towing at the time just trying to stay alive. We've towed through big cities such as Houston, DFW, Atlanta & all across the country & Seattle is the winner as worst drivers of anywhere. Fortunately he's moving away & with any luck we'll never have to go back.

travelin texans
06-15-2019, 08:40 AM
Hate to start something here, but since our son & family moved to Wash. I have to say I've never been anywhere else that had worse, less courteous drivers than around the Seattle area, I lost count as to the number of times I was shown I was #1 with the middle finger & I was not towing at the time just trying to stay alive. Fortunately he's moving away & with any luck we'll never have to go back.

vampress_me
06-15-2019, 11:49 AM
Hate to start something here, but since our son & family moved to Wash. I have to say I've never been anywhere else that had worse, less courteous drivers than around the Seattle area, I lost count as to the number of times I was shown I was #1 with the middle finger & I was not towing at the time just trying to stay alive. Fortunately he's moving away & with any luck we'll never have to go back.

If they weren’t moving away, I’d say come experience Minneapolis/ St. Paul traffic. :D You would leave thinking Seattle is a walk in the park, IMO. And I’ve driven most of the big cities except New York and LA. The congestion here isn’t the worst I’ve been in, but the drivers are. Definitely.

JRTJH
06-15-2019, 12:05 PM
On our trip back home from Las Vegas, we drove through Des Moines about 3PM on a weekday. I "thought" it would be OK because it was just before rush hour and not a "terribly big city". Probably the most hectic city of our entire trip (and that includes Las Vegas on a Friday evening on the strip).... My guess is that it doesn't much matter if it's Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Denver, St Louis, Memphis, Nashville, Detroit (I could go on and on) or anywhere else, the "driver mentality" today is more, "GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY" than "share the road that we all paid for"...... Imagine how it's going to be for our great grandkids when the population is 600 million rather than today's 300 million citizens......:hide:

sourdough
06-15-2019, 12:20 PM
You know, this was touched on a few days ago in another thread.

Today's drivers are totally impatient, discourteous and, more importantly, have no clue what the laws or rules of the road are....and don't care. The most important thing to them is to not have to look up and take their eyes off their smart phone. And then, just go to a 4 way stop and watch the ensuing confusion because 3 out of 4 won't have a clue how it works...or a roundabout, or stop signs, or..., or....

Laredo Tugger
06-15-2019, 01:00 PM
travelin texans quote:
"Hate to start something here, but since our son & family moved to Wash & I have to say I've never been anywhere else that had worse, less courteous drivers than around the Seattle area. I lost count as to the number of times I was shown I was #1 with the middle finger & I was not towing at the time just trying to stay alive. We've towed through big cities such as Houston, DFW, Atlanta & all across the country & Seattle is the winner as worst drivers of anywhere. Fortunately he's moving away & with any luck we'll never have to go back."

The reason for so many middle fingers is the strict gun laws. With very few firearms allowed to be carried in vehicles (without special permit) your going to get a large volume of middle fingers. I know in Texas and where I reside it is legal to carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle. You don't see many "road rage" videos of fist fights on the freeways in these parts. There's a reason for that.
RMc

FlyingAroundRV
06-15-2019, 01:09 PM
Maybe I'm just weird, but I'd rather have someone pull a middle finger on me than a gun ... Any day of the week!

notanlines
06-15-2019, 04:08 PM
Easy boys, you're treading on thin ice. (Yes, all very interesting, but these things get hot in a hurry.)
When in Florida, it is big sport to the locals to not give an RV'er a break when trying to change lanes. I make a big sport of moving 30,000 pounds toward their lane instead and then grin when I get the middle finger salute. :hide: No end to the rudeness in this world.

chuckster57
06-15-2019, 04:55 PM
Easy boys, you're treading on thin ice. (Yes, all very interesting, but these things get hot in a hurry.)

When in Florida, it is big sport to the locals to not give an RV'er a break when trying to change lanes. I make a big sport of moving 30,000 pounds toward their lane instead and then grin when I get the middle finger salute. :hide: No end to the rudeness in this world.

Train horns !!

153Db of pure joy.

ctbruce
06-16-2019, 05:14 AM
In my mind, so take it or leave it at your discretion, I blame it on NASCAR and the Fast and Furious franchise. Everybody thinks they are Dale Earnhardt or Vin Diesel.

travelin texans
06-16-2019, 07:00 AM
In my mind, so take it or leave it at your discretion, I blame it on NASCAR and the Fast and Furious franchise. Everybody thinks they are Dale Earnhardt or Vin Diesel.

Ain't it the truth!
Also the internet!! Now you go online, fill out a few forms & BOOM you have a drivers license, nevermind that you've never sat behind the wheel.

coop341
06-16-2019, 07:40 AM
60-61 is about 1800rpm, which is the peak of the torque curve and best mileage with a Cummins. I like to sit 60-61 whenever I can. Since I live on So Cal, really don’t get a chance until we get out of the LA basin, too much traffic. I will use the truckers to let me know if I should sit at 55. If they’re going 55, so do I. Out of California, 60-61, don’t feel comfortable going any faster than that, even though I consider myself a good driver.

CaptnJohn
06-16-2019, 07:48 AM
At 60-61 you are not impeding traffic on a multi lane especially in a 55 zone. My Powerstroke is most comfortable at 65-68 at 1500-1600 rpm so I keep it there unless slower is posted. I never lost anything in CA so find no reason to ever find myself there.

Hoodlatch
06-16-2019, 07:54 AM
I’ve always received a lot of help here, posting or just reading other’s posts, so I’d hate to upset the group, but i’ll comment.

I’ve posted about this recently on here and can’t be more honest. 67-75 is normal. I’d prefer 67-70, but the normal flow of traffic on I-70, I-80 and I-90 is 80+. Here in the east, you are a hazard on a congested two-lane highway at 62 mph or less. I bought 81mph rated tires. Safer than a 65 rating right?
I would bet anything, that most of the TTs passing me at 75-80+ are rolling on 65 rated tires.

Most states have laws that state it is illegal to impede the normal flow of traffic. They don’t care who’s taxes paid for the road. Finding a route with a lower speed limit is usually the best option, if possible.

CaptnJohn
06-16-2019, 08:18 AM
Interstates have a minimum speed of 40 mph. Unlikely to have a problem at 60 although I agree 65 is better. Pulling any camper over 70 is insane. Many areas have trucks posted speeds less than other traffic for a reason. Just because someone jumps off a bridge doesn't mean others should follow.

hankpage
06-16-2019, 08:20 AM
I’ve always received a lot of help here, posting or just reading other’s posts, so I’d hate to upset the group, but i’ll comment.

I’ve posted about this recently on here and can’t be more honest. 67-75 is normal. I’d prefer 67-70, but the normal flow of traffic on I-70, I-80 and I-90 is 80+. Here in the east, you are a hazard on a congested two-lane highway at 62 mph or less. I bought 81mph rated tires. Safer than a 65 rating right?
I would bet anything, that most of the TTs passing me at 75-80+ are rolling on 65 rated tires.

Most states have laws that state it is illegal to impede the normal flow of traffic. They don’t care who’s taxes paid for the road. Finding a route with a lower speed limit is usually the best option, if possible.

Most multi-lane highways you are only considered impeding traffic at 45mph or lower in the right lane regardless of what the idiot waving his driving finger at you thinks. Myself and my truck are comfortable at 65 - 68 conditions permitting so we would simply pass you when it was safe to do so. Waving with all fingers extended. :wave: JM2¢, Travel Safely, Hank

Logan X
06-16-2019, 08:24 AM
Just a quick note on impeding traffic laws. Impeding traffic is if your are going significantly less than the speed limit, not significantly less than the flow of traffic. Going “with the flow of traffic” is just a mob mentality excuse for speeding.

sourdough
06-16-2019, 08:42 AM

You won't upset the group. We are just sharing opinions and experiences. I, and I think most others, learn from opinions that agree and disagree with my position.

As far as being a "hazard" when towing, I would first consider the speed limit. My travel in the "East" is limited to the SE as far N as VA and then IL (which isn't really true E). I don't think I've ever seen a speed limit over 70. My first trip to the E (non towing) I thought I would lose my mind because all the roads were 55 and folks seemed afraid to drive that - to a guy that came from a place where folks TRULY drove as though 80 was an entry level speed.

That said, you would have to consider those that are creating that "flow" of traffic over the speed limit as being the "hazard" and I'm sure law enforcement would agree if involved. I'm not sure about most states having laws about impeding traffic, but I am 100% sure you will not be cited for driving 60 on a 70mph freeway. Not so for the guy doing 80.

The more important point is safety; the degree you are "impeding" traffic on a freeway by driving 60 in a 70mph zone from a safety standpoint is dwarfed by the amount of danger you put yourself and others in by driving too fast to control a TV and large trailer. At 70+ you just can't do it safely - you do not, and cannot, control the situation - or your vehicle. Also, the speed rating of the tire is irrelevant past 65. It doesn't mean you can drive faster in a safer way IMO, it just means you might have a bit more "endurance" built into the tire as you drive 65. As always JMO/YMMV

I've seen many semi wrecks in my years of driving but had a couple of occasions that almost got me - both were due to the drivers going too fast and losing control of the trucks and both times I escaped by mere inches - one had flipped on its side and was coming straight at me across both sides of a little 2 lane mountain road; the other came around a curve on 2 wheels squalling and again across both lanes - right thru where I had stopped...until I drove off the edge into the scrub brush. I'm sure both thought they were "A-OK" until..... Maybe even had 81mph rated tires to make them feel safe??? :D

KeithBook
06-16-2019, 08:50 AM
I keep it under 70. I prefer around 60-65. My tires are rated for much higher speeds.

Keep in mind you are pushing a sheet of plywood into the wind when towing or driving an RV. Your mileage drops off quickly as you go over 45. Test driving at 55 vs 65 or 70 and check your mileage. This has a greater impact on a gas engine as you start out with lower MPG

Hoodlatch
06-16-2019, 08:55 AM
Yeah, to each their own... no hurt feelings. 25 years of pulling something around, haven’t had a white knuckle yet. I’ll just continue towing every weekend that I can like normal.

Want to start the next great debate? Ask how many miles/hours people tow in a day. I guess I’m dangerous in that decision as well.

calbroome
06-16-2019, 08:55 AM
I have blown several tires. (Another topic ) Glad I was driving no faster than 65. For all of you still rolling on the Road Kings etc. I would highly recommend buying some good tires. The tire makers blame it on us for pulling on neglected tires. Also when you buy tires check the age. Pep Boys sold me a two year old tire as new. It lasted 6 months. No more foreign tires for me. My 2 cents

CaptnJohn
06-16-2019, 09:01 AM
No more foreign tires means you eliminate the tire with the best reputation. I too prefer US made but safely comes 1st and therefore Sailun tires, made in China.

Hoodlatch
06-16-2019, 09:13 AM
Just a quick note on impeding traffic laws. Impeding traffic is if your are going significantly less than the speed limit, not significantly less than the flow of traffic. Going “with the flow of traffic” is just a mob mentality excuse for speeding.

It’s exactly how the laws are worded. Speed limits change over time. The law doesn’t need changed with each 5mph increase. That has nothing to do with mob mentality unless you want to perceive it that way.

Susan1955
06-16-2019, 09:22 AM
I stay between 55 to 65 mph on highway with a Tundra 4X4 and towing a 30 foot passport. Slow down and stay alive. Remember your previous cargo.

Hoodlatch
06-16-2019, 09:27 AM
...Maybe even had 81mph rated tires to make them feel safe??? :D
Okay that gave me the giggles.

You make decisions in life to make you feel safe, I’ll do it my way. :D

I never planned on running 81 mph with my tires. But if my interstate average speed is 70ish, I’m not buying 65 rated tires. That’s no different than running a truck overloaded. You buy a more capable TV, even if your old truck could still “handle it”.

Logan X
06-16-2019, 09:35 AM
It’s exactly how the laws are worded. Speed limits change over time. The law doesn’t need changed with each 5mph increase. That has nothing to do with mob mentality unless you want to perceive it that way.

What?! It is called a limit for a reason. It is the maximum speed you are allowed to drive.

California Vehicle Code section 22349(a) which is known as the MAXIMUM speed law:

22349(a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.

California Vehicle Code section 22406(a) says the maximum speed while towing is 55 mph:

22406 No person may drive any of the following vehicles on a highway at a speed in excess of 55 miles per hour:
(a) A motortruck or truck tractor having three or more axles or any motortruck or truck tractor drawing any other vehicle.

There is no where in the California Vehicle Code, and I’m sure it is the same for any other state, that says you can incrementally increase the maximum speed without changing the law. I know because I have read it.

hankpage
06-16-2019, 09:36 AM

Interstate limits here are 70mph. Flow of traffic exceeds 80mph at times. I believe that is what Loganx was referring to as mob mentality. When not towing I tend to go with the flow, towing is a whole different ball game that I prefer to let the children play. Perhaps that is how some of us made it to this age of wisdom.

Hoodlatch
06-16-2019, 10:01 AM
What?! It is called a limit for a reason. It is the maximum speed you are allowed to drive.

California Vehicle Code section 22349(a) which is known as the MAXIMUM speed law:

22349(a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.

California Vehicle Code section 22406(a) says the maximum speed while towing is 55 mph:

22406 No person may drive any of the following vehicles on a highway at a speed in excess of 55 miles per hour:
(a) A motortruck or truck tractor having three or more axles or any motortruck or truck tractor drawing any other vehicle.

There is no where in the California Vehicle Code, and I’m sure it is the same for any other state, that says you can incrementally increase the maximum speed without changing the law. I know because I have read it.

I’ve never towed to California, and won’t, so I’m safe.

MY state, as many now, has 70 mph interstates. The MAX speed law has changed from 55 to 65, now 70. But they don’t have to REWRITE every law when they increase the MAX speed law. Thus, the Impedeing the flow of traffic law remains unchanged.

Logan X
06-16-2019, 10:04 AM
I’ve never towed to California, and won’t, so I’m safe.

MY state, as many now, has 70 mph interstates. The MAX speed law has changed from 55 to 65, now 70. But they don’t have to REWRITE every law when they increase the MAX speed law. Thus, the Impedeing the flow of traffic law remains unchanged.

They do rewrite the law each time it changes. How else would you know it has changed?

You say your state has 70 mph speed limit and you think towing at 60 or 65 mph is impeding traffic?

Thanks for staying out of California

rhagfo
06-16-2019, 10:05 AM
Hate to start something here, but since our son & family moved to Wash & I have to say I've never been anywhere else that had worse, less courteous drivers than around the Seattle area. I lost count as to the number of times I was shown I was #1 with the middle finger & I was not towing at the time just trying to stay alive. We've towed through big cities such as Houston, DFW, Atlanta & all across the country & Seattle is the winner as worst drivers of anywhere. Fortunately he's moving away & with any luck we'll never have to go back.

Well lived in Puyallup and commuted to Bellevue for about 17 years back in the 80’ ad 90’s, I still hate driving to or through Seattle or Bellevue.

Hoodlatch
06-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Yes the MAX SPEED LAW gets changed. Not every other law to do with speed. You’ll get it eventually.

You don’t have to make assumptions for me. 60 and under on an always congested, 70 mph, two lane interstate, when the flow is a constant 80+. Yes I feel that way.

TJTx
06-16-2019, 10:20 AM
I pull a 2017.5 Alpine 3401RS with a 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax crew cab. The L5P engine and Allison trans can easily pull it at 80 or 85, let alone 75. However, I always keep it at 65 in the right lane regardless of higher speed limits (operative word is limit and not minimum). I will speed up to 70 to 75 to pass someone more quickly who is going even slower than me and then let cruise take me back to 65. As my fellow Texans can attest, the real issue is not so much how fast your McBeast can pull your trailer, but how fast you can stop. Highway traffic in Texas (and probably everywhere else) can stop very suddenly for almost any reason under the sun.

Hoodlatch
06-16-2019, 10:20 AM
I would love to share some dash cam footage with some of you.

Here’s food for thought. If I tow a 4 hour stretch, and pass 1-10 campers in tow, but get passed by 25-100, would it be correct to say I tow slower than average for my location?

I’d say it. These speed demons must not be pulling Keystones I guess.

bbells
06-16-2019, 10:25 AM
65 max. Towing the fastest controllable speed is using defective logic. You need to prepare for more stopping distance, mechanical failures, and your own comfort. The faster you go the more stress the less relaxed you are on the trip.

Hoodlatch
06-16-2019, 10:25 AM
I pull a 2017.5 Alpine 3401RS with a 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax crew cab. The L5P engine and Allison trans can easily pull it at 80 or 85, let alone 75. However, I always keep it at 65 in the right lane regardless of higher speed limits (operative word is limit and not minimum). I will will speed up to 70 to 75 to pass someone more quickly going even slower than me and then let cruise take me back to 65. As my fellow Texans can attest, the real issue is not so much how fast your McBeast can pull your trailer, but how fast you can stop. Highway traffic in Texas (and probably everywhere else) can stop very suddenly for almost any reason under the sun.

I would follow you at those speeds anywhere. Texas is a pleasure to drive in, the most courteous drivers I’ve seen.

apachewolf
06-16-2019, 10:33 AM
This is an eternal discussion, never ending. Each and everyone here has their own opinions as to how to tow. Who is right and who's wrong? We live in Arizona and mostly travel there, but from time to time we go to California. Guess what..California rule is that if you tow a trailer the max speed is 55 MPH. that goes for truck too. Yes I know not many trucks do that, but they do get pulled over a lot of times. When traveling at 55 one has a better chance to keep control of the rig, the tires are 50% less stressed than going faster and you have a chance to see where you are going, which is why we also stay away from interstates as much as possible.

But more than once have I been passed by a fast moving rig only to meet up with them a few miles further when they were parked on the side of the road with a blown tire.

Happy camping all.

Logan X
06-16-2019, 10:36 AM
Yes the MAX SPEED LAW gets changed. Not every other law to do with speed. You’ll get it eventually.

You don’t have to make assumptions for me. 60 and under on an always congested, 70 mph, two lane interstate, when the flow is a constant 80+. Yes I feel that way.

I’m not sure which law you are referencing that says it is ok to drive with the flow of traffic? I would love for you to enlighten me.

I’m not assuming anything about you or for you. I think my point is simple. The law sets the maximum speed limit. If “everyone” chooses to drive faster than the speed limit, making the flow of traffic faster than the speed limit, that doesn’t make it legal or ok. If that logic worked, then you could drive 90 mph, or 100 mph, and it would be ok if everyone were doing it.

I’m not trying to say I never speed nor am I judging anyone who does. My point is simply that someone is not impeding traffic if they are driving slower than the flow of traffic especially if the flow of traffic is traveling 10-15 mph faster than the speed limit.

You’ll get it eventually

Hoodlatch
06-16-2019, 11:02 AM
I’m not sure which law you are referencing that says it is ok to drive with the flow of traffic? I would love for you to enlighten me.

I’m not assuming anything about you or for you. I think my point is simple. The law sets the maximum speed limit. If “everyone” chooses to drive faster than the speed limit, making the flow of traffic faster than the speed limit, that doesn’t make it legal or ok. If that logic worked, then you could drive 90 mph, or 100 mph, and it would be ok if everyone were doing it.

I’m not trying to say I never speed nor am I judging anyone who does. My point is simply that someone is not impeding traffic if they are driving slower than the flow of traffic especially if the flow of traffic is traveling 10-15 mph faster than the speed limit.

You’ll get it eventually

Hey I’m sure we could camp together just fine. I could even slow down and (somewhat)follow your states laws if I had a strong enough reason to go there.
I stated exactly what is normal in my area, and what the law states. I didn’t say people always get tickets for driving to slow.
I also didn’t say I drive 70mph anywhere and everywhere. I slow down in areas that the speed limit drops, believe me. Just being honest at 67-70, sometimes 75 to pass.
I still tow slower than most around me, and I’m 100% comfortable with that.

Normal driving here? You won’t get pulled over for 80mph unless you are swerving or it’s icy/snowing. The cops pick out the ones doing 85-90 consistently though.

Hoodlatch
06-16-2019, 11:11 AM
In many states it is illegal to drive with your hazard lights on.
In PA, and some other states, it is a requirement if you are under certain speeds. Our interstates used to be marked 15mph under the posted limit required hazard lights. Tractor trailers still run them up the mountain grades, many times holding 60+.

johnlewis
06-16-2019, 11:38 AM
I have 2004 5th wheel mountaineer that is 29.7 feet long and weighs around 10k pounds according to the gentleman I bought it from. I have a 2014 Chevy 2500 LTZ with the 6.1 gas engine. I was wondering what is the speed everybody tows there camper. People I have spoken to at the campgrounds tell me no faster than 65. Others have told me they go around 75 to keep up with traffic.

What is every ones opinions.

Thanks
Phil

Check out your 5er tire speed rating. Most trailer tires have a speed rating of 65 mph, so anything above that is generating more heat, which can cause tire failure. Our load range G tires from Discount Tire have an 81 mph rating. We like about 68 mph towing - seems to be a sweet spot for our 3500 Ram DRW diesel.
If you can't find the speed rating on your tires, check online. You can Google to find the info.

TYHLR
06-16-2019, 01:02 PM
Count me in as one of the 65 MPH crowd.

My TV is a 3500 diesel dually and can easily tow my rig at 80 or beyond. I just choose not to. Like many others here, I have tried many different tow speeds and for me grossing 24k, 65 MPH is a nice comfortable fit for me and my rig.

SummitPond
06-16-2019, 02:09 PM
We were in South Dakota recently and noted the speed limits out in the "middle of nowhere". I wasn't comfortable at the stated max speed unhitched with just the TV; I tried it just to see how it felt and I did not believe I could control the truck if there was need for a sudden maneuver.

You can see the max speed has been changed from some earlier value. I find it interesting their minimum speed is lower than what tends to be the norm (45 mph). Please note the interstate was pretty sparsely traveled in this area.

Frank G
06-16-2019, 02:53 PM
Comfort Zone... that's the only speed you need to travel in.

Harried Harry
06-16-2019, 08:45 PM
Now that I finally got my password squared away, I'll add my 1/2 cent to the discussion. I've driven in many different states and I've found each state has their own set of rules (laws) and customs (flow of traffic) which control the speeds for vehicles. I believe most pickups with trailers are safe if driven between 65 to 75. Any faster is not safe, in my book. I drive my Dodge 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins and my truck camper most of the time. I usually go at 70 mph, but my wife loves to drive at 80 mph (custom = 5 over max speed limit). I don't believe she is safe but discussing or arguing with her is like trying to get a grizzly to change direction when he's chasing you. The reason I don't drive faster is brakes, reaction time, and the challenge of dealing with other drivers who think they can stop on a dime and I should be able to stop the same way. If I'm towing my trailer with the Jeep on-board, I'll drive 55 to 60.

I think the majority of people think driving between 65 to 75 is pretty safe. I agree. Most of the states in the West have wide open roads but we also have "strange" people who think they can safely drive at 80 to 100 mph. I don't agree, but they are driving their vehicle the way they want; eventually they will pay the price, but I want to safely avoid the carnage.

Regardless, on a related issue, I've seen a YouTube video which shows how to properly slow down and get to a safe place when a tire goes flat on the TV or the trailer. If you haven't seen the video, please look for it so you can teach yourself how to be a better driver for stopping when tires go "elsewhere". Here is one example: https://www.allstate.com/blog/how-to-safely-handle-a-tire-blowout/
(no endorsement intended).

kjohn
06-16-2019, 09:00 PM
Luckily, I live in Western Canada and travel in that area. I can hold at 100 kph in a 110 zone and not cause any trouble. We just did a shakedown tour of over 1000 kms, and had reasonable weather and light traffic all the way. I had people pulling big horse trailers with big pickups roar past. Good for them. I use 5th gear, tow/haul almost all the time. Young guys with big fifth wheel campers and diesel pickups will sail by, but they pass cars as well.

Roy Finchville
06-18-2019, 06:24 AM
Tire rating, tire age and comfort level generally dictate speed. Take tire rating from tire and go to etrailer.com. I try and stay under 60 mph even though my tires are rated for a higher speed. The few minutes you loose driving faster may save you time and money.
Keeping trailers covered from the sun and elements will reduce dry rot and cracking. I know few people who actually replace tires every 5 or fewer years as recommended.

Also RVIA Safety Training course I went to told us travel trailers/ Fifth Wheels etc. should follow posted limits for trucks. Generally a slower speed. That being said they also called a number of states that indicated it was not enforced at weigh stations, etc. and some places were annoyed when units came through weigh stations or field people did not know what is required or what to enforce.

travelin texans
06-18-2019, 08:02 AM
Tire rating, tire age and comfort level generally dictate speed. Take tire rating from tire and go to etrailer.com. I try and stay under 60 mph even though my tires are rated for a higher speed. The few minutes you loose driving faster may save you time and money.
Keeping trailers covered from the sun and elements will reduce dry rot and cracking. I know few people who actually replace tires every 5 or fewer years as recommended.

Also RVIA Safety Training course I went to told us travel trailers/ Fifth Wheels etc. should follow posted limits for trucks. Generally a slower speed. That being said they also called a number of states that indicated it was not enforced at weigh stations, etc. and some places were annoyed when units came through weigh stations or field people did not know what is required or what to enforce.

Unless you are getting paid to transport rvs as a commercial hauler you DO NOT pull into any weigh stations unless it's directed that ALL vehicles must. If you're pulling your rv for your personal use then don't pull into them. We've been coast to coast border to border & have never pulled into a weigh station in any state & never stopped by law enforcement because we didn't.

GMcKenzie
06-19-2019, 08:52 AM
Unless you are getting paid to transport rvs as a commercial hauler you DO NOT pull into any weigh stations unless it's directed that ALL vehicles must. If you're pulling your rv for your personal use then don't pull into them. We've been coast to coast border to border & have never pulled into a weigh station in any state & never stopped by law enforcement because we didn't.

Only time I pull into a weigh station is when it is closed but the display is visible.

Drives my wife nuts :)

rhagfo
06-19-2019, 12:17 PM

In Oregon I will pull into a closed Oregon DOT weigh station to scale for personal knowledge. Many are large enough to scale TV and Trailer, then pull forward and drop the trailer and scale just the TV.

Stircrazy
06-22-2019, 04:36 AM
I tow at 55-60 purely for fuel mileage, at that speed I get around 13mpg,m when I bump it up to 75 mph my mileage drops to 10.5 mpg. plus most of the speed limits here in the mountains are 55 mph, with areas that are faster (up to 75 mph on a certain road)

Steve

Laredo Tugger
06-22-2019, 06:44 AM
In Oregon I will pull into a closed Oregon DOT weigh station to scale for personal knowledge. Many are large enough to scale TV and Trailer, then pull forward and drop the trailer and scale just the TV.

You can get a weight from a "closed'" scale?
I have never driven into the area of one. I'm guessing the display is visible from your TV. Are weigh station scales in all states set up like this?
Thanks
RMc

Javi
06-22-2019, 08:05 AM
I have never driven into the area of one. I'm guessing the display is visible from your TV. Are weigh station scales in all states set up like this?
Thanks
RMc

No, they are not...

Laredo Tugger
06-22-2019, 11:26 AM
K, Thanks Javi.
I would only drive into one for emergency or mechanical problem if needed.
RMc

77cruiser
06-22-2019, 01:28 PM
I use the scale in our town that is for weighing pulpwood trucks, formerly Boise Cascade now PCA. I use it during closed hours.

mwemaxxowner
06-22-2019, 02:15 PM
I work for a lumber/trucking company, and have unlimited free access to our scales.

However, before then, I discovered that both the local scrap yard, and local landfill would let me scale things there free of charge if I asked and was polite. I would imagine this option is available for many folks who haven't thought about it.

rhagfo
06-22-2019, 08:54 PM
Thanks
RMc

So far I have been able to use scales in Washington, Oregon, and Colorado all had remote scale displays visible from drivers seat. Accuracy is in 25 to 50 lb. incriminates.
I figure if they are closed and don’t have a gate treat like a rest area.

Laredo Tugger
06-23-2019, 05:00 AM
I did a recent weight at the CAT scales. Had everything in and on (bikes) the trailer and was full of fuel including auxiliary tank for the generator (which I usually travel with empty). Was well under weight.
Unless I add a major component to the truck or trailer I do not plan on weighing again.
I can do the math for what is added to the inventory.
RMc

Huntme
06-23-2019, 10:32 PM
Between 60 and 65 MPH,would optimal speed when pulling a trailer.

LarrySharon
06-24-2019, 06:40 AM
I try not go more than 65, I could go faster (my tire are rated for 81 mph), but why? I am not in that much of a rush plus I need time to react to situations that may occur. Happy towing.