PDA

View Full Version : Montana blowing shore power fuses suddenly

maalivahti
06-10-2019, 03:12 AM
Not sure if this is in the right board, sorry!

I've been camping in a friend's driveway for 3 months with no problem. Took my 02 Montana (3575RL) to the dump, came back, plugged it back into the house, and it's tripping his GFCIs. Thought it might be that specific plug or panel, so he tried a variety of plugs on 2 different panels and every single one tripped. The only thing on was the fridge, but it's always been on when we plug back in. Nothing else was plugged in or on. I know to check our breakers one at a go to narrow down what's causing his to trip, but once I do that.... Then what? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

chuckster57
06-10-2019, 03:18 AM
Welcome to the forum !!!

It won’t be any of your fuses in the trailer as they are only used in the 12V side. Your breakers are what you want to turn off. Is it tripping ANY breaker or just a GFI breaker?

maalivahti
06-10-2019, 03:20 AM
I meant breakers, I get so confused about these things - editing OP. He didn't give me full information on everything it's tripping on his side, but he did say his GFCIs specifically. He then went to his GFs house for the next day and a half. :banghead: I've gotta wait til he gets off work today before I can do anything.

chuckster57
06-10-2019, 04:11 AM
We could use some more information. It has a residential fridge? Is the trailer 50A service and is he using adapters to plug into 15A? How old are the battery(s). We will wait for his return.

maalivahti
06-10-2019, 04:53 AM
Trailer is 50A adapted to 20A.
Fridge is RV fridge running elec or propane (currently on propane).
Battery is approx 2 years old (12v single).

He also said it's tripping just GFCIs, not every breaker.

sourdough
06-10-2019, 07:43 AM
When he gets back turn off your main AC breaker and all the other AC breakers in the trailer. Have him turn on the house breaker for the trailer. Hopefully nothing blows. Turn on your main breaker. Hopefully nothing happens. Then turn on your breakers one by one until it blows the house breaker then start investigating. Make sure he doesn't have something running on the house circuit in addition to your trailer. If that circuit has other things inside the house plugged into it your trailer may overload it and blow the breaker.

RoscoeV
06-10-2019, 07:50 AM
You may want to make sure your power cable is securely connected to the RV. Pull the cable off the connector and check to see if the contacts are burnt. .... Just a thought.

bobbecky
06-10-2019, 12:05 PM
Disconnect your shore cord cable from the trailer, protect the end from someone touching it, and then plug in the cable to the house. If this trips a breaker, your cable is bad, or at least one of the connectors is bad.