PDA

View Full Version : Dometic A/C & Fan Not Working

Eddie A.
06-07-2019, 07:11 PM
Just went and pulled my 2019 Cougar 29BHS out of storage for a 10 day trip to Tetons and Mount Rushmore and found that my A/C and fan are not functioning. The rig is plugged in to house power and when I try to turn on the fan or a/c I hear a click and then nothing. Any ideas on troubleshooting this. A thorough google search was no help.

chuckster57
06-07-2019, 07:26 PM
How many amps is the plug rated for? What else is turned on in the trailer?

It could be as simple as not enough amps, or it could be problems with the AC unit.

Eddie A.
06-07-2019, 07:31 PM
How many amps is the plug rated for? What else is turned on in the trailer?

It could be as simple as not enough amps, or it could be problems with the AC unit.

It’s a 30 Amp unit plugged into a standard 120 volt outlet via a step down extension. The fridge and bedroom light were the only things running at the time.

chuckster57
06-08-2019, 03:38 AM
If the refer was on electric, it’s drawing a lot for the heating element. If the converter is charging the battery(s) it’s drawing. When plugged into a household outlet, you only get 15-20 amps total.

ChuckS
06-08-2019, 06:12 AM
If you try to just operate fan only on the AC and it won’t run then I’d be climbing up on top checking out the fan motor.

See if fan blade spins freely. I can’t run my AC units at my house but can run the AC fans.

LHaven
06-08-2019, 09:09 AM
What puzzles me is that if the problem was current draw, the result should've been the house breaker popping, not the AC refusing to run. Plus, the fan alone doesn't take very much current and should've run regardless.

JRTJH
06-08-2019, 01:05 PM
Do you have an EMS? If so, was it "protecting the trailer systems" from an undervoltage condition?

Eddie A.
06-08-2019, 01:17 PM
If the refer was on electric, it’s drawing a lot for the heating element. If the converter is charging the battery(s) it’s drawing. When plugged into a household outlet, you only get 15-20 amps total.

That makes since, guess I’ll find out when I get to a 30 amp plug [emoji2377]

Eddie A.
06-08-2019, 01:19 PM
If you try to just operate fan only on the AC and it won’t run then I’d be climbing up on top checking out the fan motor.

See if fan blade spins freely. I can’t run my AC units at my house but can run the AC fans.

It was super windy last night (around 48 mph) so I took the filter cover off inside and found the fan blade spinning freely.

Eddie A.
06-08-2019, 01:22 PM
Do you have an EMS? If so, was it "protecting the trailer systems" from an undervoltage condition?

I have a Progressive PT30X but want using it at the time [emoji2363]

Eddie A.
06-08-2019, 07:17 PM
Issue resolved. Turns out the a/c did blow the house breaker. Flipped it back on and turned the refer off and the fan and a/c are back in business. Lesson learned!

ctbruce
06-09-2019, 05:04 AM
Mine did this too. Found out the cord I was using as an extension was not rated high enough amp wise. Bought a better cord and problem solved. Sometimes it's that easy.

ChuckS
06-09-2019, 07:04 AM
Great news it was just a simple issue.

WDPatterson
06-28-2019, 04:03 PM
Just went and pulled my 2019 Cougar 29BHS out of storage for a 10 day trip to Tetons and Mount Rushmore and found that my A/C and fan are not functioning. The rig is plugged in to house power and when I try to turn on the fan or a/c I hear a click and then nothing. Any ideas on troubleshooting this. A thorough google search was no help.
House power will likely be enough to run your AC... That's probably a 15 or 20 amp breaker on your house...

I recommend using a dryer outlet adapter...