PDA

View Full Version : Hi Folks!

mwemaxxowner
06-06-2019, 04:52 PM
Hello folks, I just bought a new to us 2005 Keystone Springdale 268BH Clearwater Edition. I stumbled across this forum in my search to answer some questions about my unit, but I look forward to sticking around to learn tips and tricks and offer up my experiences!

I'm not necessarily new to camping, I grew up vacationing in campers. I owned a fifth wheel of my own for 5 or 6 years, but I have been without one for several years. My wife has never done any camping, but she's very excited to get started. Our 3 year old daughter asks to go out and see the camper every day [emoji4].

Logan X
06-06-2019, 04:55 PM
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your trailer!

Chris P
06-06-2019, 04:56 PM
Congratulations on your camper, looks like it's in good shape ,There is a lot of great people and Info here. Welcome from New Jersey.

Gegrad
06-06-2019, 05:02 PM
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania!

mwemaxxowner
06-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Congratulations on your camper, looks like it's in good shape ,There is a lot of great people and Info here. Welcome from New Jersey.Thank you (and the rest of you) very much!

It's not without its problems, but it's in good shape for sure, and the price was right. We looked at quite a few, wanted something we could pay cash for. My wife has never done any camping, and used to be opposed to the idea. I'm not sure what's gotten into her, but suddenly she started talking about campers and sending me links to used ones here and there. After looking at quite a few, as soon as we walked into this one she said, "This is it!"

Which basically ruined my chances of talking the guy down much because he knew I was on the hook. Lol

I just spent the better part of a year doing quite a bit of remodeling on a house to sell it, some of it extensive stuff. I'm pretty handy with a broad range of things, so I knew I could tend to the things this camper needs without paying all that much.

I found a small leak on the kitchen sink drain and one on the bathroom sink cold water line. I just got the parts in from E trailer to fix those things and a new faucet for the kitchen also. Stuff like that. Oh, and I had to put a new thermostat on it. Prior to that you had to hold the sliding temperature selector JUUUUSSSTTT right for it to kick the AC on.

He claimed it was leak free, but it hasn't rained yet. I stomped around and beat on the walls and ceiling and haven't found any rot, but I'll reserve judgement until I investigate after a rainy day. I have 4 tubes of dicor non leveling at the ready. I might go around the whole camper and caulk all seams anyway. The rubber roof looks good.

It has no awning. Not sure what happened there. I may try to buy the roller tube and arms and add one, or we might make do with a sun canopy thingamabob. Regardless, pop up canopy it is for now.

mwemaxxowner
06-07-2019, 04:25 PM
[emoji848]22141

Gegrad
06-07-2019, 04:31 PM
That is a really clean looking 2005 model, that's for sure. Looks like it was well cared for, judging by the exterior. That's usually where you can quickly tell how well they were cared for.

mwemaxxowner
06-08-2019, 04:21 AM
It is, and I believe it was. I honestly think that I overpaid for it just a little bit, but we looked at quite a few. And, as I mentioned, once upon a time my wife's response to camping was "no way, Jose". Well we looked at quite a few, and some others were actually cheaper and in better condition. What I mean by that is everything appeared newer and less worn and used".

However, even after looking at those, some that were LIKE new, as soon as we walked into this one she said this is the one. The layout is perfect for a smaller camper. It still feels roomy and it has a TON of storage. I'm okay with things being a little more work and dingy from use. Somebody enjoyed it but cared for it, best I can tell.

I paid $6000 for it, I think I would have done better around $5500, but we had the cash and I did talk him down a little bit already to where we settled.

I used to work in a custom cabinet shop, and in our old house I did the flooring throughout, including refinished oak hardwood floors, installing laminate flooring, luxury vinyl plank flooring, tile, and linoleum. So my wife already has lots of plans including paint, flooring, and I would love to get my hands on the cabinets. Some of the particle board with the veneer on it is swelling near the floor from excessive mop water or maybe some plumbing leaks from over the years. It's such a small space that it would not cost us very much to make it a totally different space.

As it sits, after testing everything works as it should, the AC blows ice cold, and we can take her on down the road as is.

mwemaxxowner
06-09-2019, 01:12 PM
New kitchen faucet, new drain/strainer to replace the leaky one, and a new faucet in the bathroom. I could have probably fixed the leaky bathroom faucet and kitchen drain by disassembling and replacing some seals and reassembling/tightening, but I didn't want to get them apart and see that I needed a faucet for some reason, or a new drain, and not have it. We are 100% leak free now.

This camper has some great access panels to get to the plumbing. I can see under the tub, I can see the inner compartment where the city connection is, I can see below the bathroom sink, etc. My old camper wasn't like that. It was an '85 Jayco J Crane. You just had to pray nothing was leaking.
It also has this sweet outside storage compartment that part of me wants to use to build a simple stowable outside kitchen out of.

mwemaxxowner
07-04-2019, 01:01 PM
Wow, I forgot how expensive it is to get all these basics together at once. Lol. The trailer came with almost nothing. So far I've bought the Curt True-track hitch, Camco aluminum screw-type stabilizing jacks, Camco leveling chocks, 9x18 outdoor carpet, 20' of sewer hose (10x2) and all necessary connections, Camco electric water heater conversion, water pressure regulator, and a pack of the Lego type leveling blocks. I have an assortment of wood blocks too, mostly 2x10s in a few lengths and a few 6x6s.

I used to use some PVC pipe ripped in half to support my sewer hose, and I actually did have some of that left lying around so I'll use that for that task. I still need to get a surge protector.

I've filled both gas bottles, and I pulled all 4 tires this afternoon, and will drop them off at the tire shop tomorrow (my new tires arrived last week). I turned the fridge on and after 12 hours put my wireless meat thermometer in. Freezer got down to 25 and was still dropping and I just pulled the thermometer out. I put it in the fridge and checked it the next morning and got 34 degrees. Pretty doggone good as far as I know! Of course this is WITHOUT any food in there. I have a battery powered fan in it for circulation.

Our maiden voyage is planned for a week from tomorrow. It's just a shakedown run. close to home and a Walmart, but it's a fantastic campground. Cheese State Park here in SC on Lake Juniper.

As expensive as all these odds and ends have been, 3 nights in this campground was only $80. And that's very close to water front! When we rent a house it's generally $200-$300 a night. Boy I've missed camping!

Oh, also, I think I mentioned this camper is missing an awning. For the time being we bought a 16x16 canopy from WalMart. The ends will fold down if you want, and the legs are set in from the edges. I hope that I can set it up so that on end oVerhangs the roof of the camper a bit. So that if there is a light rain, there won't be any dripping between the canopy and the camper.

Attached are some pictures my Mom took at the same campground we're heading to. We are site #13. 226402264122642226432264422645226462264722648

sourdough
07-04-2019, 01:34 PM
Sounds like you're almost ready. Looks like a really nice place. That first pic looks almost identical to a little lake I take puppy to every day when we are in FL....she loves it (just got to watch out for the gators). I tried to find the state park you listed but I found Lake Juniper at Cheraw State Park. I was interested due to the picture and I thought I might make a trip there when we in FL this fall but it's quite a ways up into SC so doubt we will make it.

The list of things to get for traveling can get quite extensive...and expensive. Something I didn't see on your list was an EMS. I didn't remember from your other posts if you had purchased one, but if not, you really should. They are worth every penny IMO. Also make sure you've got tools/jacks etc. to change a flat in the event you have one. Hope you have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

mwemaxxowner
07-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Oh absolutely. I keep a 12 ton bottle jack in the truck, and I hope the Camco levelers will raise a tire enough (that would just be easier) Not sure if they will or not. I also make a habit of keeping a half inch pull handle in the truck and a socket for the truck lugs and the camper lugs. I have a cordless half inch impact wrench I'm going to take with me too.

I did state that I need to get a surge protector. Is an EMS that...And more?

Here is the park

https://southcarolinaparks.com/cheraw#jump-gallery

I hope that we absolutely love the place. It's Crazy cheap and only about an hour from home. It has (reportedly) very nice bathhouses and whatnot. Kayak rentals too, although I may bring my own.

sourdough
07-04-2019, 02:56 PM
Yes, the EMS is more than a surge protector. It protects from low/high voltage, loss of ground and various other electrical issues that could really damage your RV and electrical appliances. Here are a couple of links to the more popular EMS units;

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-Portable-Protector-EMS-PT30X/dp/B01N0W4CZ8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=surge+guard+30A+ems&qid=1562280838&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-34830-Portable-Display/dp/B00T36Q7R2/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=surge+guard+30A+ems&qid=1562280918&s=gateway&sr=8-7

mwemaxxowner
07-04-2019, 03:27 PM
I'll do a little research on that tonight and pull the trigger before we go on our trip. Love me some Amazon prime shipping!

sourdough
07-04-2019, 03:47 PM
I failed to note they make units that permanently mount inside the RV vs those pictured that plug into the end of your power cable. The permanent ones take a bit to install and are part of the trailer and reduce or eliminate the possibility of someone walking off with it. The portable just plug in so you can move/remove it anytime for any reason. They also make a locking guard for the connection so it's not so easy to just unplug it and walk off (at least Surge Guard does). Mine is portable with the guard and I've not had any issue and this is my 5th season with it.

mwemaxxowner
07-04-2019, 04:03 PM
I may just be a glutton for punishment, but I'm cool just plugging in between the cord and shore power.

Northofu1
07-04-2019, 05:43 PM
:wlcm: from Toronto
May I be so bold to make a suggestion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qHSO18qK18
It takes so little effort, all poles are integrated. I love mine
Have an awesome summer, and nice work on the trailer.

sourdough
07-04-2019, 05:51 PM
:wlcm: from Toronto
May I be so bold to make a suggestion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qHSO18qK18
It takes so little effort, all poles are integrated. I love mine
Have an awesome summer, and nice work on the trailer.

I was going to recommend the same thing (we love ours) but the OP had bought another solution. If the OP is interested I have the video sent to me from the Clam product manager after I visited with him with a little more detail....somewhere. No see ums? NO MORE!!!

travelin texans
07-04-2019, 09:23 PM
I may just be a glutton for punishment, but I'm cool just plugging in between the cord and shore power.

I've used the portable EMS for about 12 years, never locked it up & been all across the country & it has never walked off.

mwemaxxowner
07-05-2019, 06:43 AM
I was going to recommend the same thing (we love ours) but the OP had bought another solution. If the OP is interested I have the video sent to me from the Clam product manager after I visited with him with a little more detail....somewhere. No see ums? NO MORE!!!I would like that if it's not too difficult to dig up.

My goal was to find something that would mimic the function of the awning that should be there as closely as possible, without breaking the bank for now. At 16x16 and $117, I HOPE what I already have will accomplish that. Shade the front area of the camper in front of the door and oVer our carpeted area, and allow us to pass through freely in any direction and back into the camper door.

However, this screen room does look very nice as something I could set up on our lot in addition, when I'm staying somewhere that has the space. Being able to relax and keep the "skeetoes" (as my little one calls them) away would be nice.

travelin texans
07-05-2019, 08:36 AM
Staying at city/state/national parks your canopy shouldn't be a problem, but we've been to numerous private parks/campgrounds that do not allow "temporary structures" on your site, which include the clam shell, screen rooms or any type of portable gazebo.

sourdough
07-05-2019, 09:23 AM
I would like that if it's not too difficult to dig up.

My goal was to find something that would mimic the function of the awning that should be there as closely as possible, without breaking the bank for now. At 16x16 and $117, I HOPE what I already have will accomplish that. Shade the front area of the camper in front of the door and oVer our carpeted area, and allow us to pass through freely in any direction and back into the camper door.

However, this screen room does look very nice as something I could set up on our lot in addition, when I'm staying somewhere that has the space. Being able to relax and keep the "skeetoes" (as my little one calls them) away would be nice.

Here's the link to the video I mentioned. It is made by the product manager. The others are made by the sales folks and aren't quite as informative to me. As Danny pointed out, some places won't let you put an enclosure like this up. We carry it with us and if we can put it up we do (if we're going to be there long enough to worry about it). For your extra lot, it would work great IMO. No see ums can't get in it so "skeetoes" :) won't be a problem.

https://clamoutdoors.com/pages/quicksetsetup

mwemaxxowner
07-05-2019, 01:16 PM
Staying at city/state/national parks your canopy shouldn't be a problem, but we've been to numerous private parks/campgrounds that do not allow "temporary structures" on your site, which include the clam shell, screen rooms or any type of portable gazebo.Interesting. I'm tempted to say that we've never encountered that, but now that I think about it, we never had anything that we tried to put up anyway. I've usually always stayed in the same couple of campgrounds, but my wife and I want to start venturing out to more places. So no doubt eventually that's something I'll encounter. That might have me moving a real awning back up the list of priorities.

This camper has nothing. The track where the fabric attached is still there, but no arms, brackets, roller tube, etc. Maybe I can luck out and find something on the ol' Craigslist.

mwemaxxowner
07-06-2019, 08:14 AM
I thought that I would just continue to use this as my personal experience/build/questions thread. Would that be alright?

One thing that concerns me a little is that the shower has no sort of waterproof paneling. It's just a tub with a shower head mounted on the wall. The walls are the same wallpaper covered paneling the rest of the camper is.

I've never used a shower much in a camper, we always used the bath house 97 perCent of the time. My wife and little one will be using this one. Are y'all's showers the same way? Am I considering fixing a problem that doesn't exist, or is it a good idea to put something up around the inside of the shower?

We have some minor remodel plans already. Rip out that carpet and linoleum and out something attractive in, paint on walls and cabinets, backsplashes, etc.

We just sold a home that I bought prior to my current marriage that was a major fixer upper. While living there as a bachelor, I didn't care to fix it up. The last two years my wife and I worked diligently to remodel and dress it up and it was very rewarding. We hated to sell it but we made quite a bit off of it. I think we want to do sort of the same thing here on a smaller scale, put a little of ourselves into it.

mwemaxxowner
07-08-2019, 04:07 AM
Well, I purchased this bad boy:

Hughes Autoformer PWD30 Power Watch Dog 30 AMP Surge Protector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791RW8M2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_v9YiDbFP03WWK

I'm sure that, ideally, I need a unit that offers a little more protection. I.e. it will shut things down if it detects under or over voltage. However, at considerably less price, this one does have a replaceable surge cartridge (whereas most of the low end surge protectors were one and done it seems) and this one has the unique ability to pair with my phone via Bluetooth. I can monitor voltages and whatnot and set alarms. So, while it won't cut me off if I encounter low voltage, it WILL allow me to set alarms and get notified if dangerous situations occur. I see it as a decent compromise for now, while I'm dropping so much money into getting everything ready.

I also got the Camco Hybrid Heat installed. Piece of cake and it seems to work great. I hooked up water last night and left it on about an hour, came out and I had hot water. I started to leave it on overnight, but instead I think I'm going to turn it on for a few hours while I'm home one afternoon this week first. I want to test it thoroughly before we get out on our trip. Hopefully make sure all the fail-safes are working and/or the thermostat is functioning properly and heat doesn't run away.

Tires are mounted with metal stems, and I'll pick them up from the shop some time today. I actually got rubber stems the first time even though I requested metal stems, so I had to ask them to break them back down and fix it. The girl at the desk who works the register didn't fully understand.y request or why it was necessary [emoji2361]. I usually deal with the owner directly. Last time I make that mistake.

Oh, and the wife drug me to Ikea to get some odds and ends, but I made it out alive! No, actually we got some good stuff that will help us have what we need but not take up too much space. 22712

{tpc}
07-08-2019, 04:20 AM
I wonder if the previous owner removed the shower walls for some reason? I can't think of why it wouldn't have them. I can imagine that if I removed the walls in my shower that behind would be the same pattern and wall paper.

Are there holes where the brackets used to be on the trailer for the awning? I wonder why the other owner would take it off, unless he was using it as a "park model" and had built some sort of structure around that side of it and it was in the way. I know your not ready to break the bank lol...the little odds and ends do add up, but when you decide to maybe also look for a patio room type of attachment? I don't know if its a awning specific thing but my friend had one and it was pretty cool. Zipped up all around the awning to make a screen room.

Other than that, we just bought a cheap pop up from walmart (ozark trail) for $40. Pretty easy to put up and take down (unless in the wind lol) but hey its $40. I think you can also buy like a "side" to attach to it, though I am unsure of its purpose, really.

mwemaxxowner
07-08-2019, 04:39 AM
I've already bought a canopy that will serve the purpose for now, but ultimately if we enjoy this camper and decide to keep this particular one long term, I'll pony up and put an awning on it.

It definitely had one once upon a time, and my only guess is that something happened to it (storm tore it up, limb fell on the awning, some jackleg ran into the arms, who knows) and the PO just pulled it all.

As to the shower, no idea. Lol. I Can't think of any good reason to remove waterproof panels around the shower, unless they were removing the whole thing to build a closet or something. I'm thinking that I'll take care of that sooner than later. I don't like it, and there is no water damage around or under the shower right now. Let's keep it that way.

{tpc}
07-08-2019, 07:07 AM
Gotcha. Ya that shower thing is odd. It sounds like they had intention of making it into something else for some reason. Or maybe they were going to make it bigger somehow and never got to it.

mwemaxxowner
07-08-2019, 08:02 AM
It doesn't look like anything was removed. No nail or screw holes, no left over adhesive or caulk, no lines where some of it was covered up and discolored at a different rate than the rest, etc.

sourdough
07-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Well, I purchased this bad boy:

Hughes Autoformer PWD30 Power Watch Dog 30 AMP Surge Protector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791RW8M2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_v9YiDbFP03WWK

I'm sure that, ideally, I need a unit that offers a little more protection. I.e. it will shut things down if it detects under or over voltage. However, at considerably less price, this one does have a replaceable surge cartridge (whereas most of the low end surge protectors were one and done it seems) and this one has the unique ability to pair with my phone via Bluetooth. I can monitor voltages and whatnot and set alarms. So, while it won't cut me off if I encounter low voltage, it WILL allow me to set alarms and get notified if dangerous situations occur. I see it as a decent compromise for now, while I'm dropping so much money into getting everything ready.

I also got the Camco Hybrid Heat installed. Piece of cake and it seems to work great. I hooked up water last night and left it on about an hour, came out and I had hot water. I started to leave it on overnight, but instead I think I'm going to turn it on for a few hours while I'm home one afternoon this week first. I want to test it thoroughly before we get out on our trip. Hopefully make sure all the fail-safes are working and/or the thermostat is functioning properly and heat doesn't run away.

Tires are mounted with metal stems, and I'll pick them up from the shop some time today. I actually got rubber stems the first time even though I requested metal stems, so I had to ask them to break them back down and fix it. The girl at the desk who works the register didn't fully understand.y request or why it was necessary [emoji2361]. I usually deal with the owner directly. Last time I make that mistake.

Oh, and the wife drug me to Ikea to get some odds and ends, but I made it out alive! No, actually we got some good stuff that will help us have what we need but not take up too much space. 22712

If you aren't going to get the EMS don't be misled into thinking the surge protector is going to do much for you. Of all the failures I've encountered an actual power surge that would have caused extensive damage is at the bottom of the list I'm figuring. There's a reason it costs 1/3 of what an EMS does - it is a very limited device.

Since you don't have an EMS I would suggest you get a VOM and become very familiar with it. Before plugging the RV into any electrical outlet check the outlet to be sure that ALL conductors are there and providing the function they are supposed to. If you don't know off hand, pull a wiring diagram for a 30A RV plug and carry it with you so you will know what you are looking for with the VOM. I've found the craziest things in the past before I bought the EMS.

mwemaxxowner
07-08-2019, 10:24 AM
I'm assuming vom is an abbreviation for voltage meter. I keep one in the toolbox on the truck. I've used it plenty in 12 volt applications (Car audio, boat audio, chasing wiring problems in said vehicles) and in my old house diagnosing and repairing some minor issues, but never in a 30 amp application. I'll use my GoogleFu to educate myself more.

This unit will test for open neutral, open ground, and reverse polarity, and will allow me to monitor the voltage and amperage, with user set thresholds for sending me an alarm.

It should help me test first for proper wiring on the shore side, then let me monitor for low voltage and amperage in real time.

Our new Power Watchdog*Smart Surge Protector offers 2,400 Joules of the advanced surge protection for your coach and also has bluetooth connectivity so you can monitor live park power conditions on your smartphone using our free mobile app.

30 Amp Service (50 Amp is Available)

2400 Joules of Advanced Surge Protection

Wirelessly Monitor Voltage and Current Draw on your Smartphone

Complete LED Park Power Diagnostics with Wireless Fault Alerts

Set Custom Alert Thresholds

Replaceable Surge / Spike Module – Should you get hit by a large spike, simply order a new surge module. No need to order a whole new unit.

IP65 rating –*IP rated as “dust tight” and protected against water projected from a nozzle.

mwemaxxowner
07-09-2019, 05:33 PM
Getting there! We've gotta do away with that hideous carpet and do something better about the fabric colors on the couch and the dinette. But for now it is what it is.

The curtains are made from pillowcases, alligator clips, and small metal rings. Most of the curtain rods are tension rods and command hooks.

#WallaceOnWheels2273422735227362273722738227392274 02274122742

mwemaxxowner
07-10-2019, 02:58 AM
Here are some photos I took inside the shower. You can see the same Crack and corner moldings are present that are everywhere else, no screw or staple holes, no lines where something used to be over this, etc. 22743227442274522746

Northofu1
07-10-2019, 03:29 AM
If you're really concerned, customize and install a tub surround.
Or, you could use:
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.homedepot-static.com%2FproductImages%2F74ec9f87-2bbd-4d2d-b419-6a37f4230198%2Fsvn%2Frivets-9500xa-64_1000.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.homedepot.com%2Fp%2F3-4-in-White-Nylon-Rivets-50-Pack-9500XA%2F100250436&docid=CRZjeqcaq29nGM&tbnid=IxFkv20DVzp8lM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjW4t62narjAhWZW80KHWgSDI8QMwhdKAIwAg.. i&w=1000&h=1000&bih=757&biw=1600&q=nylon%20glass%20board%20fasteners&ved=0ahUKEwjW4t62narjAhWZW80KHWgSDI8QMwhdKAIwAg&iact=mrc&uact=8
with,
https://youtu.be/6O4DjUDyzjQ

It comes in 4' x 8' sheets. it is used primarily in institutions, municipal / private facilities. It is very generic, but impermeable to anything daily use can throw at it. Whoever supplies it also has corner and finishing moldings to complete the job.
Very easy to work with on a table saw, **Wear a decent mask when cutting**

mwemaxxowner
07-10-2019, 03:39 AM
Kinda what I was thinking, but mostly just trying to get a feel for if it's necessary. I didn't know if it's normal, or what sort of water resistance this material has. Maybe the wallpaper type face on this paneling is water resistant enough.

You could argue that it's been fine this long, but I have no idea how much the shower has been used. Almost exclusively, I and my family always showered at bath houses while camping, I'm sure there are others who do the same.

{tpc}
07-10-2019, 03:49 AM
Kinda what I was thinking, but mostly just trying to get a feel for if it's necessary. I didn't know if it's normal, or what sort of water resistance this material has. Maybe the wallpaper type face on this paneling is water resistant enough.

That is really weird, as I have never seen one like this before. Maybe the wallpaper has been treated with something? Is there a air vent above the shower? It sure doesn't look like something has been there but maybe the previous owner updated it to make it look like it was never changed or repaired?

You could argue that it's been fine this long, but I have no idea how much the shower has been used. Almost exclusively, I and my family always showered at bath houses while camping, I'm sure there are others who do the same.

I too used to do this, right up until an unfortunate incident a couple years back. Now its not nearly as much.

Northofu1
07-10-2019, 03:52 AM
I am new to RVing, but if I looked at a camper that had a shower that looked like your pics I would be concerned. I am sure a few of the elder statesmen of this group has seen this type of shower and would have some input.

mwemaxxowner
07-10-2019, 03:57 AM
I was hoping to hear about half of you say "Yeah mine's like that." Lol. If it wasn't always that way it was changed many moons ago, and changed with factory materials and methods. There is a little discoloration on the walls that I can tell when I move something that's fastened in place to them and peek behind it, and this in the shower is discolored just like all the rest. That sort of yellowed tint you see, so it's been this way for a while if nothing else.

I've found several other '05 Springdale Clearwater Editions online with pictures, but none inside the shower.

Ha! Found a walkthrough video. Same way! I think I'm going to file this away in the ol' noggin as keep an eye on but not concerned.

https://youtu.be/FqoYSP24tmw

Northofu1
07-10-2019, 04:15 AM
Perfect!
Keep a solution on the backburner.

sourdough
07-10-2019, 06:42 AM
I was hoping to hear about half of you say "Yeah mine's like that." Lol. If it wasn't always that way it was changed many moons ago, and changed with factory materials and methods. There is a little discoloration on the walls that I can tell when I move something that's fastened in place to them and peek behind it, and this in the shower is discolored just like all the rest. That sort of yellowed tint you see, so it's been this way for a while if nothing else.

I've found several other '05 Springdale Clearwater Editions online with pictures, but none inside the shower.

Ha! Found a walkthrough video. Same way! I think I'm going to file this away in the ol' noggin as keep an eye on but not concerned.

https://youtu.be/FqoYSP24tmw

I would say it was made like that. I would also say to pay CLOSE attention to those wall panels. I'm sure I've seen panels like that that were supposed to be "water resistant" and used in that manner. I've also seen them affected by exposure to water and swell up and crack similar to particle board. I'm sure there is a reason you don't see that type of shower enclosure any longer.

I would keep a close eye on all of the sealant around the pan and edges. Water will be the death of that material if it's what I think it is. Unlike the enclosures today with "floating plastic/fiberglass walls" suspended over a pan/tub (with a vertical lip) to allow for flexing and to prevent water from running inside the wall, those wall boards extend right down to the pan and depend on the sealant to keep any moisture out. The cut ends of that "fiber board", for lack of a better term, will suck water right into itself if it is exposed to water. That sealant is going to be subjected to the wall flexing around the pan. Using a flexible sealant, checked and replaced regularly, will go a long way in keeping those walls from disintegrating. Also, I would have a backup plan in the event you ever see any swelling or other indication that the material has absorbed water.

mwemaxxowner
07-10-2019, 07:06 AM
Will do! I've pulled the access panel and looked all around under the tub, but I didn't pay any attention to whether those panels extend down or not. I'm pretty paranoid and keep my eye on all that stuff anyway, I'll see if any water starts to get where it shouldn't.

I have several tubes of MasterSeal NP1, which is a fantastic polyurethane sealant, and some dicor non leveling. I might have some 3M 5200 still also. I'm certainly not opposed to removing the existing caulk a d resealing with something better if that may make this stand the test of time better. I'm also not opposed to putting up some panels.

Callie Spillane
07-10-2019, 10:42 AM
Hi, We just purchase a 2019 Keystone Springdale 1700FQ mini. This is the fifth camper we have owned. It looks to be a nice little camper. We will be towing it with a 2018 Ford F150 2.7 liter turbo. It tows it really nice. We have a 6 month old Cavapoo puppy to share it with on our trips to come!:)

mwemaxxowner
07-12-2019, 03:20 PM
We're just getting settled in. Both of the little ladies are loving it!2278422785

travelin texans
07-12-2019, 05:23 PM

Years ago when we bought our 1st RV there were 2 main reasons for doing so;
#1 no more sleeping on the ground
#2 no more using the bathhouses
It's amazing how many folks we've met that do not/will not use their RV shower & only go #1 in the toilet only at night, if at all & NEVER EVER #2.

mwemaxxowner
07-12-2019, 05:36 PM
We don't mind using the toilet at all. However, I have quite the appetite, and go #2 frequently with a very powerful stench. Lol. We're right beside a bath house so I'll go there. I'd also rather go use a full size shower if it's not too inconvenient. Also we don't have sewer hookup here, and I don't have a rolling dump tank yet.

I only call this camping because that's the accepted term. I still go camping. I.e. trekking 30 miles or so somewhere remote in the mountains with only what I can carry on my back. Completely get away from EVERYTHING for a bit.

To me, this is simply a rolling vacation house. A way for us to go stay somewhere cheaper than renting a house and with all of OUR stuff.

I think I'll continue to shower in a bath house when I have one at my disposal, until I'm lucky to own a Taj Mahal type of camper with a full size shower. Which will probably never happen. If this trailer treats us well I think we'll hang on to it a long time. The wife is falling in love with it. It has adequate living space, it towed very well, truck got decent mileage for a half ton towing a wind sail, everything works, and it's PAID FOR!

mwemaxxowner
07-12-2019, 06:02 PM
This is kind of cool.22787

LHaven
07-12-2019, 10:39 PM
I wonder if the previous owner removed the shower walls for some reason? I can't think of why it wouldn't have them. I can imagine that if I removed the walls in my shower that behind would be the same pattern and wall paper.

In my last rig, I had a tub/shower with a curtain. The interior walls were fiberglass clamshell, but a partial wall on the "climb out" side was wallpapered. Theoretically, the shower curtain was supposed to intercept the water to that wall, but good luck with that. And yes, we did have to have it repapered eventually.

LHaven
07-12-2019, 10:48 PM
I'd also rather go use a full size shower if it's not too inconvenient.

Amen. "Full size" is the term here. At 6'6" 350 lb., I consider the TT shower an accommodation of last resort. Yes, I can successfully take a shower in it with some cautious yoga, but every time I do, it reaffirms my opinion that there's no way even Clark Kent could ever have changed his clothes in a phone booth.

I only call this camping because that's the accepted term... To me, this is simply a rolling vacation house. A way for us to go stay somewhere cheaper than renting a house and with all of OUR stuff.

Absolutely right. I chuckle at the occasional letters in Trailer Life from purists complaining that RVs have gotten way too big and way too provisioned, and that the purpose of camping should be to get away from everything. But I never claimed that my RV was for "camping." It's for "traveling." ;)

mwemaxxowner
07-13-2019, 04:24 AM
We think the same! Haha

I'm about 6' and 200, and even for me the shower is tight. My head touches the ceiling. Lol

We have a little two burner camping stove and a grill/griddle pan for it that was $10. It works great for a cheap option for now. I used to have a "grill to go" in my last camper. I'd kinda like to have another. Or I might drink the Kool Aid and get a Blackstone.

mwemaxxowner
07-14-2019, 05:47 PM
I would consider it a smashing success. My wife, who told me once upon a time she couldn't handle camping loved it. My daughter loved it, and has dubbed the camper "Walter".

Walter treated us well. The fridge would actually hover around 30-32 if left unopened a while, which seemed to work well with it being opened raising the temperature here and there. Nothing froze but the food was plenty cold. It was in the 80s and 90s during the day and now and then the AC would get to the set 70 degrees and shut off.

I love the Camco Hybrid Heat water heater electric conversion element. It got the water very hot and didn't take long after setting up to get it there. I was able to use very very little propane. We even had to spend a good bit of time in the camper yesterday during a storm, which is what's going on in the photo that shows our WHOPPER of a television! (It's actually a tablet leaned up. Lol) There was enough room we didn't kill each other while cooped up with a toddler.

I was able to swing by work and weigh the rig after setting up my True-Track by measurements alone. The distribution looked pretty good and I'm under on all of my limits.

The tow was good, the camper was great, and the campground (Cheraw State Park in Cheraw, SC) was very nice! The park has a day side and a camping side, separated by about a half mile walk or you could drive around. The beach area was on the day side, so we just chose to walk. There was a nice beach and playground, with a park office that sold some basic necessities. The walk over included a boardwalk that went through a lilly pad field in the lake which was blooming and very cool for our daughter to witness. They had kayak, john boat, paddle board, and pedal boat rentals for $10/hr or $30/day. The lake has a 10 HP limit if you want to bring your own boat. The bath house was VERY nice, very clean and well kept.

Just a very basic campground, but it's clean, cheap, and relaxing. For something close to home, we're happy to have found it. 228042280522806228072280822809228102281122812

sourdough
07-14-2019, 06:02 PM
Mitchell,

Thanks for sharing. The pics are beautiful. I think the one that "pictures" the wonders of camping with an RV is the one with your baby. Precious, and brings back lots of memories for those of us that don't get to experience that any longer.

mwemaxxowner
07-14-2019, 06:39 PM
She's growing way too fast! As she puts it, "Daddy I'm a little big."

Northofu1
07-15-2019, 05:07 AM
Looks awesome :)

mwemaxxowner
07-15-2019, 05:21 AM
The canopy was more than adequate for our hang out space in lieu of a real awning, but I have GOT to come up with a solution to get at least one side tall enough to put over the front door. We had quite a bit of rain Saturday, and walking from the door into the canopy was a soggy affair. Lol.

I have an idea of using a steel pipe of whatever length I deem necessary, weld a plate on the bottom with a few holes drilled in it to act as the new foot so I can stake it down, with sort of a false bottom near the top set 3 or 4 inches into the pipe that the canopy leg will sit in. Drill a hole and run a set screw in or something to secure the canopy leg to the extension. Something of that nature. Might be able to come up with extensions made from PVC.

sourdough
07-15-2019, 08:55 AM
The canopy was more than adequate for our hang out space in lieu of a real awning, but I have GOT to come up with a solution to get at least one side tall enough to put over the front door. We had quite a bit of rain Saturday, and walking from the door into the canopy was a soggy affair. Lol.

I have an idea of using a steel pipe of whatever length I deem necessary, weld a plate on the bottom with a few holes drilled in it to act as the new foot so I can stake it down, with sort of a false bottom near the top set 3 or 4 inches into the pipe that the canopy leg will sit in. Drill a hole and run a set screw in or something to secure the canopy leg to the extension. Something of that nature. Might be able to come up with extensions made from PVC.

I think I would try to use PVC if possible from a weight and safety perspective - especially with little ones.

mwemaxxowner
07-15-2019, 09:22 AM
That's true. A stumble into a steel pipe would not be pleasant.

{tpc}
07-17-2019, 04:19 AM
Gotta have that door covered! lol, but when it rains sideways...like it did over the 4th where I was (though not for too long)...everything is wet anyways.

I needed to dump the hot water tank anyways, so the rain made it easy in that I wasn't bothering the neighbors when I did so.

I don't know if you have a "patio mat" to put down but if you don't invest in one that drains easily. Ours is not terrible, but unless the timing of everything is right, its a secondary step to keep it out of the pass through storage until I can properly dry and clean it.

mwemaxxowner
07-17-2019, 04:43 AM
We have this thing, which seemed to dry fast, and was very easy to shake clean. Ish. It's also very light. I used to use a big square of outdoor carpet o had cut at HD. It was heavy and harder to shake/beat the sand and debris out. 22862

{tpc}
07-17-2019, 04:52 AM
Ahhh that looks like one of the good ones. Ours was bought from camping world, and its huge kinda like a brown "grass" thingy. For what it is, it actually drains decently and drys fast, but still we wish we would have spent the money on a different one.

One day we will, but for right now we are going to get our moneys worth out of this one lol. The real issue is we want a really big one. :)

newemptynester
07-17-2019, 05:04 AM
It looks like your family really enjoyed themselves. That is what it is all about. Your baby is adorable, I remember those days, enjoy them. Keep making the memories, enjoy your TT.

mwemaxxowner
07-17-2019, 11:33 AM
We did. One challenge that we faced, and will continue to face I'd say, is keeping the little one occupied. She's not much of a television watcher, but I'd like to keep it that way. I need to figure out some fun outdoor games that she might enjoy, and possibly add some board games to our arsenal. We played uno and Candy Land, and she grasps them pretty well for a 3 year old. She's very active, loves the water, and loves being outside.

Just like her papa, but sometimes Momma and I just want to relax. Lol

{tpc}
07-18-2019, 04:10 AM
My kids are older 15 and 18, but we still have games to bring along. Of course we have TV, but unless its raining or we are eating at the dinette, they don't watch it (and cant see it from their bunks). However they have phones and netflix and youtube lol so they watch some stuff anyways.

We have bean bag toss, ladder ball, washer toss, a football, a bag of some sort of safe jart like games, and some cards/board games. Really what we like to do is sit around the fire though and cook lol.

mwemaxxowner
07-19-2019, 09:22 PM
I like the idea of a bean bag toss, washer toss, etc. Stuff to do outside. I took my putters from my disc golf bag and a milk crate and was tossing them around practicing my putting around the trees. I tried to get her to do it with me but she wasn't too interested. She asked that we bring her bike next time. I don't think it would have been great on the gravel with training wheels, but I could have pushed her around a bit.

I have Cornhole boards bit completely forgot to load them up. I'd like to build or buy a tic tac toe type of bean bag toss. And I think we should add connect four. She could easily grasp that. Maybe a giant outdoor connect four. Lol.

{tpc}
07-22-2019, 04:28 AM
Get an inflatable bounce house and you can be the hit of every campground you visit!!!

Bikes are fun but if she can't ride without training wheels, not as much as you can get stuck easier. Easily the "hit" of every camping experience is making "pies" with the rome campfire pie irons. We have done pizzas, street tacos, breakfast pies, dessert pies, etc etc. Kids love it. Now she is probably too young to "help" with that right now, but later on it becomes a lot of fun for them. Plus smores.....mmmmmm lol

mwemaxxowner
07-22-2019, 04:40 AM
Actually, she's much more capable in that department than you'd expect for a 3 year old. She helps Momma cook every day, and she can handle some of the simpler tasks more or less by herself.

That's a great idea, she would love cooking something over the fire like that I think.

We're definitely going to put together a scavenger hunt and some sort of bean bag toss.

She and my mother in law have created sort of a bird sanctuary around a playhouse I built for my daughter. They have a vast assortment of bird feeders, bird houses, bird baths, hummingbird feeders, etc. They have been observing the birds and my MIL has been helping her learn to identify the birds. She knows more about them than I do. Lol. Anyway I am thinking about getting some binoculars and trying to bring the bird watching with us. Probably add certain birds to the scavenger hunting.

mwemaxxowner
07-26-2019, 05:21 PM
Going through some old photos, this was us in July of last year!

mwemaxxowner
07-31-2019, 02:33 PM
We have another trip planned for the weekend of 8/16. 64 whole dollars for the weekend. It's at a very nice park on a small lake not even 30 minutes from home. Haven't been there on the camping side since I was a small lad. Man, I've forgotten how nice short weekend trips on the CHEAP are!

The last trip was $80 for 3 nights. Just can't beat it if the camper is paid for!

mwemaxxowner
08-16-2019, 03:33 PM
Cane Creek park in NC, highly recommended! 4 playgrounds, horseshoe pits, volleyball, beach area, campground store, activity center with I have no idea what yet, boat/kayak rentals, and shuffleboard, and possibly other things. They have a big outdoor screen where they play drive in movies too but I don't know when they have showings. We've bought our boats here in the past and done some boarding and skiing also. Nice place for $32 per Night. I think the full hookup sites are $35. Only 15 miles from home!2325623257232582325923260

{tpc}
08-19-2019, 05:04 AM
Looks awesome!!

mwemaxxowner
08-19-2019, 08:40 AM
My wife took this on the way out ...23312

mwemaxxowner
11-02-2019, 05:45 AM
We're enjoying a trip to the Great Smokies right now. We're at the KOA in Cherokee, NC.

I used the "Sygic Truck" navigation app to get here. It allowed me to enter details on my weight, length, height, axles, etc to navigate here. Google Maps wanted to take me through Maggie Valley on 19 and I wanted to avoid that if possible. I knew the route I wanted to take, but wasn't sure of my exit numbers and whatnot. So far I really like using Sygic. I'm also going to get an Atlas I think. 24236242372423824239242402424124242242432424424245

mwemaxxowner
11-14-2019, 10:53 AM
The Cherokee trip was a big success. The furnace works well and we had a great time. Heading tomorrow night or Saturday morning to Jones Lake State Park near Elizabethtown NC. We have some friends in Hubert NC, and this park is roughly half way for us all. We haven't seen them in ages, so we're getting together and staying in our camper Sat/Sun.

mwemaxxowner
11-21-2019, 04:35 AM
We took another trip to Jones Lake State Park near Elizabethtown NC this past weekend. It was a spur of the moment trip to meet some friends we haven't seen in a long time. They live about 4.5 hours away, and this park was almost smack dab in the middle.

We loved it here. The sites were large, the bath house was very very well maintained, the sites were spread out nicely, the staff was friendly, and it was cheap. I'm starting to really like state parks. There isn't as much to do there usually, but if it's just Momma and me they are great.

This may be our last trip until spring, we're not sure. It stays warm enough here we could camp throughout most of the winter if we decided we want to. 244062440724408244092441024411244122441324414

mwemaxxowner
09-05-2023, 03:44 PM
Still have the same truck, same camper. Still enjoying them both!45064

spicercars
09-07-2023, 03:29 AM
Welcome from northern MN.