PDA

View Full Version : Optimal time to sell or trade?

Controller23
06-04-2019, 06:17 PM
I can tell we are going to want to upgrade to something a tad bigger. We just got ours this year(a 2019 Passport). How long do we keep this before trading in? Looking for optimal time to minimize financial losses.

chuckster57
06-04-2019, 06:41 PM
I don’t think there is an “optimal time” in Ca since we camp year round. The longer you wait the “ older” it gets. 2020 models are already out there.

Canonman
06-04-2019, 07:09 PM
I, like the OP, am also curious about what age might be considered the "tipping" point between still having/holding a greater percentage of value or being considered too out of date. i.e. 5 years, 10 years, just about the time it's paid off:)

goducks
06-04-2019, 09:14 PM
There's never a 'Win' situation when selling or trading an RV. They're HUGE money pits that depreciate very fast. Keeping what you have is the only way you keep from losing even more money.
The 1st loss is buying your current one. The 2nd loss is selling your current one. The 3rd loss is buying the 2nd one. The 4th loss is finally selling that one. Etc.
It won't matter if you wait 1-5-10 years to sell. You're still losing money along the way.
Best thing to do is get what you want when you want and try and not think about how much money is going down the drain.

Fishsizzle
06-05-2019, 01:13 AM
Agree, they will never hold their value. You are competing against new trailers, better financing etc.

If your just sold on a different ride, you just have to bite the bullet so to speak. Prepare to cringe and get mad, but it fads if you really enjoy the new trailer. It boils down to how much does happiness cost?

notanlines
06-05-2019, 02:20 AM
Fun costs money, let’s face it. Don’t buy what you can’t afford, and shop hard, drive a hard bargain, but don’t try to deny the dealer a little profit. Better you should sell your unit outright. If it’s imperative that you put a time period I would go with four years. Other members will certainly chime in with differing opinions. YMMV

Northofu1
06-05-2019, 02:32 AM
The optimal time to trade is dependent on your peace of mind. What's it worth to you.
:)