PDA

View Full Version : Twin generator set up questions

ADQ K9
06-02-2019, 09:17 PM
Those of you that have a twin generator setup, be it any brand. Do you always use the two with a parallel cable or just one when the higher wattage is not needed at the time?
This weekend I only needed to use one but I rotate them to keep the hours even. Is this good practice or should I run both in parallel all the time?

bobbecky
06-02-2019, 09:41 PM
You only need to parallel two of them if you have enough load (air conditioner or other high load appliance) that one will not be enough. We usually use our Companion Honda when using only one so we can connect to the 30 amp outlet. If your load is very minimal, and you can use just a 15 amp outlet, then that will work using the other generator in rotation.

Roscommon48
06-03-2019, 04:05 AM
just pull one out if you don't need a heavy load. Interesting about keeping the hours 'even.'

if it were me, I'd just change the oil at the same time regardless of the time spent. it is only a pint or so of oil.

ADQ K9
06-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Yeah so far so good, got the second to power the A/C and microwave. when needed. I turned the electric off on the water heater and ran the refrigerator on gas so power was only really needed to charge the batteries. The only real electricity we used was for lighting and audio video entertainment when it started raining. I have a 75 w inverter that plugs in to the 12 volt port for the TV and Blu Ray. Planning on converting to a dual 6 volt battery set up soon also.

KC10Chief
06-11-2019, 04:46 PM
I've done both. I used to have two Honda EU2000i generators. Running in parallel, it was enough to run the whole trailer, AC included. It will definitely NOT run two air conditioners. The Hondas are fantastic little generators. Now, I have the Predator 3500 watt generator from Harbor Freight. I prefer this setup. I've found the many boon docking I do here in Oklahoma or this part of the country, is usually in the summer and requires the AC. The Predator has some advantages. I paid $650 for it for starters. The Hondas were $1,100 EACH. The Predator is just as quiet as the Hondas were. It doesn't require a parallel kit. It has electric start. It seems very reliable so far and the build quality seems just as good as my Hondas. The disadvantages are that it's heavy. Close to 100 pounds I think. It has wheels on it though. It also burns more gas if you're using it without running an air conditioner. The money you save will buy a LOT of gas. The 3500 watts will run everything in my trailer except the second air conditioner. Two Hondas have the same limitation.

ADQ K9
06-13-2019, 12:02 PM
Matt I have 2 Yamaha 2000 gens and the reason I went with the twin set up is so the wife can handle them if needed. Also if one is needed in another location I can take it and still power the trailer with the other.