PDA

View Full Version : Hitch Clamp

PinTwister
06-02-2019, 02:05 PM
Just bought the "hitch clamp cross clamp" to eliminate any movement in my hitch and receiver. The instructions suggest install it exerting force down on the hitch to stop up and down movement. This theoretically does nothing to stop side to side movement. I have about 900 Lbs. of tongue weight and no porpoising, so up and down movement is non-existent. Wouldn't it be more correct to mount this thing sideways to correct any side to side movement? I would like to hear from people that have used the cross clamp, and possibly turned it on its side.

Brown Lantern
06-02-2019, 04:19 PM
I'm interested in anyone's experience with this too. After a recent 1200 mile trip I noticed significant wear on my receiver from movement.

sourdough
06-02-2019, 04:52 PM
I don't know any of the specifics of your hitch/receiver combo but with a 1500 I assume you have a 2" receiver. With that, I assume you have a 2" shank on your hitch. I never had a problem with my 1500 and the 2" hitch shank I currently own (tongue weight approx. 1000 lbs.) - it was pretty tight and not an issue. Is the receiver a factory receiver? What hitch do you have? Maybe the tolerances of one or the other is not quite up to snuff? Anything loose?

When I moved to the HD truck I did have problems with movement in the receiver due to the adapter from 2 1/2 to 2". I solved it with a hitch clamp device but not like yours.

https://www.amazon.com/Hitch-Clamp-Tightener-Rattle-Receiver/dp/B0068D1M1E/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=hitch+clamp&qid=1559523078&s=gateway&sr=8-5

PinTwister
06-02-2019, 05:04 PM
I don't know any of the specifics of your hitch/receiver combo but with a 1500 I assume you have a 2" receiver. With that, I assume you have a 2" shank on your hitch. I never had a problem with my 1500 and the 2" hitch shank I currently own (tongue weight approx. 1000 lbs.) - it was pretty tight and not an issue. Is the receiver a factory receiver? What hitch do you have? Maybe the tolerances of one or the other is not quite up to snuff? Anything loose?

When I moved to the HD truck I did have problems with movement in the receiver due to the adapter from 2 1/2 to 2". I solved it with a hitch clamp device but not like yours.

https://www.amazon.com/Hitch-Clamp-Tightener-Rattle-Receiver/dp/B0068D1M1E/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=hitch+clamp&qid=1559523078&s=gateway&sr=8-5
2" factory class IV hitch. I have various hitches and they all move around inside the receiver about the same amount. There is a very small amount of tolerance around the receiver. Not a real problem with any of them except my WDH. Being much longer, the side to side movement is significant.