PDA

View Full Version : Air conditioner soft start

JMiller
06-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Thinking about installing or having a soft start installed on my 2019 Cougar 22RBS. Would that allow me to operate the AC on one Honda 2200 generator? Easy install? Any idea on price? Thanks

GHen
06-01-2019, 10:16 AM
My AC is a Colman, I can run it on a Honda 2000 Companion using the 30 amp plug on the generator , if I turn the converter off. It’s pretty much at max capacity. It will run all day that way. It will not run on the regular Honda 2000.
Get the 2200 companion with the 30 amp plug.

Steveo57
06-01-2019, 12:33 PM
I've got a 2018 22RBS with the 15k AC. My 15 year old Honda 2000 runs the AC no problem after I installed the EasyStart. It was $276 without the install package. Not too hard to install if you're handy.

Unfortunately my AC appears to have sprung a leak so it's going to be replaced under warranty. So I've got to pull the EasyStart out and put it back to normal then install it again when I get the new AC.

MSB1766
06-01-2019, 12:41 PM
Here is a video about soft-start and install:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mCeNRODDxc

JMiller
06-01-2019, 01:23 PM
I’m sold! Beats carrying both my Honda’s and it’s quieter. Thanks guys!

Steveo57
06-01-2019, 02:07 PM
Here is the picture of it installed. I'll post a video of it action shortly. Not many places to stick it. I screwed it and tiewrapped it to the junction box.

Steveo57
06-01-2019, 02:15 PM
Here's a video I made showing it in action.

https://youtu.be/XTELtKVEXYA

JMiller
06-03-2019, 05:33 AM
Ok Steve, I just ordered it. I hope your not to far away from Springville TN in case I need help! LOL

Reedhoppa
07-08-2019, 10:27 AM
How did the install go? I bought the easy start for my 2019 Cougar RBS and am summoning the courage to go up top and install it this week! ��

JMiller
07-08-2019, 11:08 AM
I did ordered it, used a discount code that came from the RVGeeks. It seemed like something I could have done but I ended up having to leave my trailer in a campground in TN for a couple of months due to an illness in the family. With everything going on at this time I just had the service department at the campground install it. Everything sounds great. Hopefully soon I can get it home and try the generator with it.

hguilford
04-17-2020, 10:37 AM
I am considering installing the SoftStartRV on both of my A/C units but I've heard they will void my A/C warranty. Anyone have experience with this?

KRumm
04-17-2020, 07:23 PM
I would recommend modifying the standard install instructions to make the install reversible... (no cutting of original wires or removal of original parts)... As you might want to move this expensive dodad to your next rig... ;-)

GHen
04-17-2020, 08:03 PM
Hopefully all most new ones will have soft start, ours does.

Also, there are some new 13,500 A/C units that are even lower power usages, only 1075 watts. That’s low enough for a medium size solar powered system. Not sure if they are any good at cooling....

LHaven
04-17-2020, 10:05 PM
Curiously, one of the current bottom ads on the forum (https://rvlife.com/softstartrv-air-conditioner/) is all about these units.

NH_Bulldog
04-18-2020, 04:47 AM
Curiously, one of the current bottom ads on the forum (https://rvlife.com/softstartrv-air-conditioner/) is all about these units.

That’s Big Brother tracking your website searches and then posting targeted ads there. You should see what ads are listed on my page Lol

Roscommon48
04-18-2020, 05:03 AM
A/C do not come with soft starts.

And as for warranties, I guess you'll have to decide if you want to take the risk. Install after the 2 year warranty then?

Steveo57
04-18-2020, 09:40 AM
I am considering installing the SoftStartRV on both of my A/C units but I've heard they will void my A/C warranty. Anyone have experience with this?

I had an issue with the AC unit losing it's charge. Before I took it in to get it replaced under warranty I removed the EasyStart and put everything back to normal. It wasn't difficult.

skids
04-18-2020, 04:55 PM
I've got a 2018 22RBS with the 15k AC. My 15 year old Honda 2000 runs the AC no problem after I installed the EasyStart. It was $276 without the install package. Not too hard to install if you're handy.

Unfortunately my AC appears to have sprung a leak so it's going to be replaced under warranty. So I've got to pull the EasyStart out and put it back to normal then install it again when I get the new AC.

LOL, that just suks! :D

Brantel
05-11-2021, 03:17 AM
Here is the picture of it installed. I'll post a video of it action shortly. Not many places to stick it. I screwed it and tiewrapped it to the junction box.

I know this post is old but in case someone stumbles into it in the future, Micro-Air specifically states that their units are not to be mounted with the cable end up. It has to do with the capacitor inside....

flybouy
05-11-2021, 05:05 AM
I know this post is old but in case someone stumbles into it in the future, Micro-Air specifically states that their units are not to be mounted with the cable end up. It has to do with the capacitor inside....

Can you link where you read that? I think it has to do with the cable inlet and water intrusion. My understanding is that it uses a microprocessor and does not have a capacitor inside.

Brantel
05-11-2021, 05:20 AM
Can you link where you read that? I think it has to do with the cable inlet and water intrusion. My understanding is that it uses a microprocessor and does not have a capacitor inside.

It has both a microprocessor and a capacitor. On the newer clear cover version, you can see the cap inside.

flybouy
05-11-2021, 05:30 AM
Thanks. I must have had a different model in my mind.

ADQ K9
05-11-2021, 09:02 AM
Marshall,
Are you thinking of the Flux Capacitor to make time travel possible ?

flybouy
05-11-2021, 09:08 AM
Marshall,
Are you thinking of the Flux Capacitor to make time travel possible ?

Could be, who knows maybe empty beer cans and banana peels wll make it n cooler! :banghead:

Cougar25
05-31-2021, 03:25 AM
Thinking about installing or having a soft start installed on my 2019 Cougar 22RBS. Would that allow me to operate the AC on one Honda 2200 generator? Easy install? Any idea on price? Thanks
I installed the SoftStart on the main A/C of my 3 month old Cougar 25RDS. It took 30 min, and the directions provided were detailed and easy to follow. They even give you a number to call if you run into a problem. I can now run the A/C, all lights, and the 10 cu ft electric refrigerator from my Honda 2200i.

LHaven
05-31-2021, 10:11 AM
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm curious. Being an engineer, my first reaction to any improvement is to understand what the tradeoff is. I know that A/C manufacturers force you to remove any soft start equipment before performing warranty work. I'm interested as to what their concern is. What potential problems could soft start equipment introduce? Otherwise, I can't imagine why it isn't original equipment on all RV A/Cs.

(I know the RV manufacturer would choose the lowest-end product regardless, but does any A/C manufacturer offer an upgrade model with soft start features included?)

flybouy
05-31-2021, 12:50 PM
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm curious. Being an engineer, my first reaction to any improvement is to understand what the tradeoff is. I know that A/C manufacturers force you to remove any soft start equipment before performing warranty work. I'm interested as to what their concern is. What potential problems could soft start equipment introduce? Otherwise, I can't imagine why it isn't original equipment on all RV A/Cs.

(I know the RV manufacturer would choose the lowest-end product regardless, but does any A/C manufacturer offer an upgrade model with soft start features included?)

Expecting an a/c mfg to honor a warranty when the electrical components have been altered to such an extent is just not realistic. That would be like expecting Ford to honor theengine warranty if you put in aftermarket pistons.

The concern? Many, to start with the testing to prove the modification doesn't cause harm. If the aftermarket company equipment damages a unit who pays to research to "prove" it was or wasn't the aftermarket component that was the cause? And with the advertised "benefit" of using a lower capacity generator, or running two units with only 30 amps available, it opens the door for folks who think "well, if it will work with a 2K watt generatoer then I'll bet my 1,200 watt unit would work". It's much easier, from a buisness perspective (and I assume a liability perspective) for a manufacturer to make a blanket statment that ANY modification will void the warranty. I don't know of any manufacturers that take a different stance on their products.