PDA

View Full Version : What's that part?

Acaines
05-31-2019, 07:30 PM
The pneumatic arms that help the awning extend... They're on the entrance doors... I've replaced them on my car's hatchback... What are those things called? One got bent during a windstorm while we were camping. Makes a helluva noise when I retract or extend the awning.

Brentw
05-31-2019, 07:48 PM
I call them gas struts

Fishsizzle
05-31-2019, 08:39 PM
Your local Napa auto should have a big Selection if you take a pic of the writing on it for them to look At. Or at least order you one .

I did this for the King bed. Bought some that were stiffer so bed didn’t crash down from all the comforters HW has on the bed

Acaines
06-01-2019, 05:14 AM
THAT'S IT!! It's been so long I've forgotten the term. Many thanks!

Acaines
06-01-2019, 05:15 AM
Cool. Thanks.

travelin texans
06-01-2019, 07:34 AM
Just FYI, unless they've changed the design in the last few years since I replaced mine the pins through the eyes holding the strut on the arm are not removable, the ends of the struts are threaded & unscrew leaving the eye in place, just unscrew the original strut from both ends & thread the new one on, took about 10 minutes to do both.

Acaines
06-01-2019, 05:28 PM
Good info... I went to work on it this morning and the awning extended like it was supposed to. So I lubed up the rods with 3n1... The stuff for the tip out cables. All seem good.

Acaines
06-01-2019, 05:30 PM
Just FYI, unless they've changed the design in the last few years since I replaced mine the pins through the eyes holding the strut on the arm are not removable, the ends of the struts are threaded & unscrew leaving the eye in place, just unscrew the original strut from both ends & thread the new one on, took about 10 minutes to do both.

*like....*